Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madeyna

paintable wallpaper as a backsplash

madeyna
15 years ago

I want to use paintable wallpaper as a back splash and would like to know what you gals think about colors. I have had some up behind my st{{!gwi}}ove for about a year.{{!gwi}}

Comments (9)

• madeyna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I numbered them 1 threw 7 if you could let me know what you like that would be great.I have black galaxy granite countertops and the copper really brings out the granite flecks in the copper.

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

Well I LOVE copper, but I have an experience that might serve as a warning. I put up beadboard as a backsplash, and when I realized that the copper items in my kitchen picked up the copper coloring in my granite (Juparana Colombo Gold...MUCH busier than your black galaxy) I painted the backsplash copper.

Some folks loved it, but it drew SO much attention that it overshadowed everything else, so I painted over it & ended up installing a small strip of etched copper edging instead.

Your mileage may vary a lot though, because of the difference in granite.

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

Copper Overkill :(

• johnmari
    15 years ago

#7, the dark antiqued finish most visible in the second picture, looks best IMO out of what you've shown, although you don't tell us anything else about your kitchen except that you have sparkly black granite counters. With dark cabinets, dark floors, a drab wall color and insufficient lighting it might be a complete disaster. #2 looks downright orange on my monitor, #6 is much too bright and lacks depth, and I've never liked the verdigris look such as in #4 and #5 because it just looks neglected to me - verdigris is a fancy name for corrosion. Fine for the Statue of Liberty maybe, not so much for a kitchen.

I like this pattern a LOT though, it's quite different from most I've seen - do you have information such as manufacturer, style name/number, etc.? Our old Victorian's ceilings are trashed now and will be even worse after some other work is done, and DH would really go for this pattern. Not to mention its undoubtedly being a LOT cheaper than either the metal or plastic embossed panels.

• madeyna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got it at Lowes .I love the leaves in the middle and the rope edgeing. The straight copper did reflect to much on the counter thats when I started playing with the other treaments over the copper.

• madeyna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting the copper over kill pic it really helped narrow down some of the choises. Thats one of the things thats great about this sight ,I learn so much here.

• bestyears
    15 years ago

I happened to catch Candace Olsen's Top Ten Kitchen special the other night, and she did a similar thing in her #2 kitchen by priming and then painting tin tiles. She painted them creamy white to match the cabinets, and mentioned that the texture was what she was focusing on. I've attached a link though it is not the most clear picture in the world. But it may give you an idea anyway...

Here is a link that might be useful: Creamy white tin backsplash

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

How tall is this? Is it shown in the picture (I can't see a stove)?I really like it, but it looks like it's only 3-4" tall. The color (maybe it's not it) isn't right though. I think I like #2 and #5 (if your WTs have a bit of green in them, can't tell). Could use some clearer pictures with countertops and cabinets - what color is behind your stove?

I'm trying to figure out what to do in my kitchen (laminate, no backsplash at all). Wanted tile but not in the budget, didn't want anything too hard to change later. I'd like it to go 18" to bottom of cabinets (I tend to splatter, esp. near range). Does Lowes have anything similar that's taller/wider? I was thinking about using $1.50 - $2/lf pine baseboard 3 1/4 -4 1/4" tall for now, but could still do wallpaper above it (and thinner moulding at bottom of cabinets to hide the edge). I need to close up the gap between the countertops and walls (not scribed) and don't want to just caulk. What do you think?

• madeyna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am not sure how tall it is .I will measure it. The piece in the pic is just a sample peice I tore off the roll, its as tall as a roll of wall paper so about 24 inchs. This is wallpaper not a boarder but it could be cut and used as either. It could have some added to the top to bring it all the way up or cut short to be a low boarder. I am going to seal it for easier cleaning .