Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattibsiek

Restrapping Swedish chairs?

patti_bee
16 years ago

We have two Bruno Mathsson Eva chairs that I bought at a garage sale years ago. They are so comfortable and versatile that we'd like to spiff them up with restrapping. Our cat also liked them for stretching and so they're a bit worn now.

We are willing to try it ourselves or have it done if we can find either the supplies or someone to do it. Any ideas? I tried purchasing the linen tape from a shop in Los Angeles and was never able to place an order with them (too small potatoes perhaps?). We're now in Oregon if that helps.

Comments (10)

• patti_bee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think part of the problem is the width and composition of our webbing which seems to be a very heavy linen. Burlap strapping for upholstery is close in width but, boy, would that be uncomfortable to sit on! Thanks for the directions on rewebbing. I think that our situation is a little different but the guidelines on measuring are good.

• chelone
    16 years ago

What a great looking chair! Very sexy.

I'd probably start with a couple of calls to a reupholster/restorer and be candid about wanting to do the work yourself. Most pros are willing to help DIYers as long as they're "up front" about it and don't take advantage.

• Ideefixe
    16 years ago

I'd love to find some strapping tape in that width--where in LA? I have Shaker chairs, but I'd like to use the wider tape. Feel free to email me off list about this.

• syllabus
    16 years ago

I haven't taken the time to google....

Shaker Workshops and Yield House used to both sell linnen webbing. Check out the websites for both places & see what they've got.

• patti_bee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ideefixee, I just checked the web for the phone number of the place on Beverly Blvd. Guess what? They've closed the store! It was Lampa + Mobler but they no longer sell furniture. Phooey. I think I'll try Chelone's suggestion and call some upholsterers. The linen or flax tape for Aalto chairs is very close to what we need but a little narrow.

• Ideefixe
    16 years ago

Thanks for letting me know. The Shaker Workshop tape is very narrow, and I really want wide. But the Aalto tape would work for me. Hate that price, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Artek Alvar Aalto Webbing

• patti_bee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You might look at the link below and see if it will suit your needs. The price is certainly better! I knew I had found some possible webbings awhile back and just found them. HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: Hemp webbing

• Susan918
    10 years ago

I have been dealing with a similar issue. The linen webbing is available at finnstyle.com and is quite expensive ($18/yd). An estimate to have the chair repaired by a professional who specializes in this type of furniture came in at $1800.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

There is some 2" natural in cotton available at the link below.
    Not sure if it would work for chairs, but I'm sure the company could tell you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seattle Fabrics Inc.