Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Restrapping Swedish chairs?

Posted by patti_bee (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 1, 08 at 21:15

We have two Bruno Mathsson Eva chairs that I bought at a garage sale years ago. They are so comfortable and versatile that we'd like to spiff them up with restrapping. Our cat also liked them for stretching and so they're a bit worn now.

We are willing to try it ourselves or have it done if we can find either the supplies or someone to do it. Any ideas? I tried purchasing the linen tape from a shop in Los Angeles and was never able to place an order with them (too small potatoes perhaps?). We're now in Oregon if that helps.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Restrapping Swedish chairs?

You can google "chair webbing" and order online, and though I didn't see "linen" there are some poly webbing sites. Have you gone to your local fabric stores and asked with a picture of your chair in hand?

The job itself looks easy, though you'll want to stretch it tight. Here are some directions...

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Replace Chair Webbing

o

I think part of the problem is the width and composition of our webbing which seems to be a very heavy linen. Burlap strapping for upholstery is close in width but, boy, would that be uncomfortable to sit on! Thanks for the directions on rewebbing. I think that our situation is a little different but the guidelines on measuring are good.

o

What a great looking chair! Very sexy.

I'd probably start with a couple of calls to a reupholster/restorer and be candid about wanting to do the work yourself. Most pros are willing to help DIYers as long as they're "up front" about it and don't take advantage.

o

I'd love to find some strapping tape in that width--where in LA? I have Shaker chairs, but I'd like to use the wider tape. Feel free to email me off list about this.

o

I haven't taken the time to google....

Shaker Workshops and Yield House used to both sell linnen webbing. Check out the websites for both places & see what they've got.

o

Ideefixee, I just checked the web for the phone number of the place on Beverly Blvd. Guess what? They've closed the store! It was Lampa + Mobler but they no longer sell furniture. Phooey. I think I'll try Chelone's suggestion and call some upholsterers. The linen or flax tape for Aalto chairs is very close to what we need but a little narrow.

o

Thanks for letting me know. The Shaker Workshop tape is very narrow, and I really want wide. But the Aalto tape would work for me. Hate that price, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Artek Alvar Aalto Webbing

o

You might look at the link below and see if it will suit your needs. The price is certainly better! I knew I had found some possible webbings awhile back and just found them. HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: Hemp webbing

o

I have been dealing with a similar issue. The linen webbing is available at finnstyle.com and is quite expensive ($18/yd). An estimate to have the chair repaired by a professional who specializes in this type of furniture came in at $1800.

o

There is some 2" natural in cotton available at the link below.
Not sure if it would work for chairs, but I'm sure the company could tell you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seattle Fabrics Inc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here