Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diynewbie_sf_gw

Hainging artwork on wall next to pocket door?

diynewbie_sf
13 years ago

Hi - Has anyone hung artwork next to a pocket door? If we can find picture hangers that clear the doors, do you think this could work? Johnson is a popular pocket door company and they show a photo of a piece of art to the right of the door on their site but just curious if anyone had actually tried it.

Thanks!

MJ

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (9)

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Depending on how heavy the artwork is, you could use a 3M Command hook. They are terrific.

• sashasmommy
    13 years ago

What about a picture hook like this? They can bear quite a bit of weight, but they have small nails that probably don't go very far into the wall

Here is a link that might be useful: picture hook

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

We have a large framed, glassed serigraph over the pocket of one of our pocket doors -- we use the curly wire hangers that go in one small hole and curve around and back up to touch the back of the drywall. We use two on these. The good thing is that when they're curved around, the depth of the frame accomodates the whole curve, so nothing's touching the door when it passes by.

Here's some writing I found on it:

Another newcomer to picture hanging is a curved spring steel wire that can be inserted in the wall without tools in a matter of seconds (sold under brand names such as Heavy Duty Wall Hanger, Hercules Hook, and Monkey Hook). While some brands claim they hold up to 150 pounds, in our tests they began to pull out of drywall at around 40 pounds and failed at 50, which is still more than most pictures weigh. Wire hangers are easy to remove and leave a small hole. However, they cost more than traditional picture hangers and will only work where there is not a stud or other obstruction present in the wall.

There's a picture at the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: they work great for us, even in the pocket door situation

• susieq07
    13 years ago

I have art work hung next to pocket doors in several places in my home, all hung with picture hangers, the nails go in, on a slant and not real long anyway NP's

• grlwprls
    13 years ago

However, hang the piece with the door open and then slide it into place carefully.

Ask me how I know ::rolleyes::

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

Grlwprls: OMG :~O
    DIY: I have a pocket French door between my living room and kitchen. I've just used a shorter, thick nail to hang this piece of art next to it.Please excuse this Christmas pic of the area, but it's the only one I could find to show both the door closed and the art.
    Lynn

• diynewbie_sf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone (and photo, Lynn)! We'll give it a try!

• msrose
    13 years ago

Lynn - Do you have a picture of the sofa that's in your picture? The little bit I see reminds me of one I'm looking at.

Laurie