Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rich69b

Need help with staining/glazing

rich69b
14 years ago

Hi. A while ago I asked the same question, and you guys gave me the directions on how to tackle this project. Unfortunately, I didn't save or print your responses, and when I searched, I couldn't find it any longer.

So would you please help me again? This time, I'm really going forward with this project.

It's my dining room table and chairs that I want to refinish. The old stain and paint were removed, just needs a little more sanding, and it's all ready to be stained.

The pic below is the look I'm going for, glazing the edge and crevices with dark/black glaze. But I don't know what product to buy. Do I stain, sand, glaze and seal? Help!

Thanks in advance.

Comments (5)

• User
    14 years ago

My kitchen cabinets have this look and I love it. I know the process, our cabinet maker first stained the cabinets, then applied a seal and then applied the black glaze just in the crevises with a fine brush, wiped away the access and then sealed again with a final coat. As to what specific products he used, that I cant help you with.

• rich69b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for your help! I went to Lowe's last night and the girl suggested this valspar antique black glaze, so I'll try it on my scrap wood.
    Thanks again, I appreciate it.

• User
    14 years ago

I love that look too.

Roseabbey - This may be a goofy question or maybe it was the brands used but how did he get the glaze to work right over a sealer? When I tried glaze on a finished piece of wood it just smeared around and didn't look nice.

Rich69 - That's actually the same stuff I used. I really like the color.

It could be that I'm just not doing it right.

• User
    14 years ago

sheesharee, you need to let the first coat of sealer dry completely before you apply the glaze. The glaze is only in the crevices and detailed part of the cabinet and is a thin line applied with a thin brush, not much to really wipe away. It is not where glaze is applied over the entire cabinet and then wiped off. Once the black glaze is dry, then you apply the final coat of sealer. I believe this technique is called pencil glazing.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

You can get that dark shading effect with General Finishes gel stain in the Java color. In the factory this may have actually been done with an airbrush. You stain the piece with the background golden/amber color, seal with a thin coat of shellac, and apply the Java color with a drybrush in the crevices and at edges if you're following that photo.
    Then the edge of color has to be blended by wiping very carefully. You may need to remove areas that shouldn't have received any stain; wipe off with a rag with a small amount of paint thinner. If you want to start over, wipe the whole glaze off with the same cloth. After the thinner has evaporated you can start over. Once the glaze is to your liking you can apply the finish. I would use a wipe-on varnish like Bartley's gel varnish. It has the benefit of being rapid-drying, low luster, and not prone to dust specks.
    Casey