Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

1950's house photos - before I delete them forever

TxMarti
9 years ago

I thought some of you might like to see it. This was my dd's first house and she doesn't want the photos. They were taken the day she moved in.

The basement, some of that added at a later date it seems.

The kitchen

The enclosed breezeway between house and garage
{{gwi:2139682}}

Dining Room

The living room

The bathroom

Comments (24)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Good riddance all until I got to the last photo! Ditch the 1970s glass door but keep everything else! Snazzy!

• bpath
    9 years ago

Love that tub! The ceiling, the accent tile is delightful.

Your DD needs to put the bar on Craigslist. The breezeway paneling, too. There's a buyer out there!

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

I've got that same bathroom tile! (The square ones).
    And matching toilet, sinks and tub... Thanks for posting. Another vote for the bathroom shot!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Funny to me that she wouldn't want them. I love looking at my first house pics and remembering what it was like. Does she have any children who ever lived in that house? If so, maybe you could print and put into an album for them for the future. They might like to see the home they lived in at the time.

I love that trim tile in the bathroom!

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Love the bathroom, and yes, wish I had space for the retro bar. Definitely CL.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I want that bathroom tile. Especially the black accent tiles. Love! Not so in love with that hysterical bar area. You must save those photos. Especially the bar. Personally, if I had remodeled something that hideous, I would be framing a picture to put on the wall so everybody could see the ugly I started with.

We just tore out the ugliest kitchen carpeting imaginable and I saved a strip for posterity. Too ugly to be tossed. Conversation piece, imho.

Thanks for sharing.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Well, I love the basement floor. Keep that.

• User
    9 years ago

Omg that bar!!

Love the bathroom.

• Fluffeebiskits1
    9 years ago

I've got those exact kitchen cabinets including the built in breadbox! I hate them too but they're solid birch plywood, so I painted them for the time being. Added new hardware and it really helped. I had those shower doors too but I yanked them out.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love that bathroom too, but without the shower.

Dd sold that house when she got married. I told her I liked keeping photos of all my houses, especially when we first married. Kind of how far we have come thing, but she and her husband have almost no clutter of any kind. It's like she's not even related to me.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I love the arch ceiling in the shower/tub. I think you should keep the photo's for yourself. You like the memories even if she is not the sentimental type. Thank you for sharing.

• amck2
    9 years ago

You've rekindled some memories of visiting my aunt. It was worth the long drive to play hopscotch on her basement tile floor and she always served the kids a Shirley Temple while we sat on swivel counter stools at her bar. So cool!

Her home had those arched doorways and her bath had the pink and black tile - not that distinctive arch ceiling, though.

Thanks for sharing -

• lascatx
    9 years ago

My first house had a similar tub/shower, but with plain white tile and solid black liner, hex floor tile. Loved that bathroom and the house. Hope she keep the charm. The tub area looks to be in good shape, and if so, I would keep the tile and just remove the glass doors.

I hope she keeps the phone box (inset) too. That's a piece of history and they can be made useful in a number of ways. Overall, it looks like a really good house -- the basement is the biggest project -- and as someone was suggesting, once you get the bar out of there and clean up, even the floor could be made part of a great room.

And save the photos. She doesn't have to see them, but down the road, I'm willing to bet she may be glad to have them. They aren't the kind of thing she would look at often anyway, but it's always nice to look back at where things started. Also, the more she changes, the more she may want/need photos for reference. Definitely take photos of any open walls so you know what runs where.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

are you so jammed on computer memory.. that dumping these few pix will make a difference???

burn them to disc [and then of course.. lose it.. lol] ...

or get a stand alone hard drive to save things like this ...

i also.. would save pix of the house when i bought it.. proof positive.. i made it better ...

did she save the bathroom.. or tear it out???

ken

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    9 years ago

I could never "permanently delete" photos especially digital ones that take up no space in my closet.
    Besides the fact that someday they will provide amusement, maybe the current owners of that house would be interested in its history?

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

I love love love the tub/shower, and I can't really tell whether or not I like the kitchen cabs...which means I probably think they're okay. Overall it seems like a nice home with a good amount of space.

I enjoy looking at the old photos of our home, even though I absolutely disliked most of it at the time. We've done a lot of things to make it a nicer place, and it's reassuring to be able to look back at what we started with (since the improvements are not necessarily perfect or the best thing we could have done).

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I'm guessing this is not palimpest's parent's house? :-)

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL, no, not palimpest's parent's house.

Dd sold it about a year after buying it, and the only change she made was putting a dishwasher in the refrigerator spot and adding a cutting board counter over it.

I thought of putting them on a disk but like someone said, I'll probably lose it then. I need to clean off my computer because I'm having some problems with it and need to send it in to be repaired. I'd just as soon have all personal stuff off it.

• breenthumb
    9 years ago

Why not open a free photobucket account? Or Flicker or one of those other free ones. They could be saved AND off your computer.

I've actually googled our last house and gotten Trulia pictures from the last time it was sold. Fun to see the changes that were made. Also our old apartment, before that house. Changes there too. Lots of nice memories from those places.

(And I'm also saving listing pictures from the house next door, now, that was for sale a long time and finally sold for way under value for the neighborhood. Don't want that price in my comps when I sell soon.)

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

put 'em on a thumb drive. I did that and just put them in an envelope in a drawer. I do need to put those files back on this computer tho!

love the bathroom. It does look like a nice house. love the archway too - had those in a house I lived in growing up.
    she's lucky she had a decent basement. Ours was like an old cellar - spooky! we were sure the old guy who lived there mega yrs prior was still in the basement... silly kids!

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

"It's like she's not even related to me." Marti8a, that got such a laugh out of me. I felt the same way when I first visited our daughter in Hawaii. Each time we visited her, four times in all, she had more "stuff". Yes, she is my daughter after all!

I'm with breenthumb, I'd put these photos in a Photobucket account before deleting them. I hope it's an easy fix for your computer. Do you defrag on a regular basis? Clear your cookies and history often?
    I've also had the auto shut off cause problems on my desktop so I turned that function off. After all the other stuff I did trying to save that computer, the "fix" was as easy as that.

• kidrowlam
    9 years ago

Frankly speaking the bar area is just missing a traditional rugs with intricate carvings. Why not hang a classic looking chandelier over the roof tops to make evenings more romantic?

• gmp3
    9 years ago

I do love the bathroom too,it is kinda fabulous.

Sweet mother the basement is horrid, yet almost worth keeping for kitsch. The bar is hilarious. When i see something like that I am in wonderment that someone actually designed that space and was probably extremely proud of it when they finished.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

That basement bar cracks me up every.single.time. I can't quit looking at it, it's like a bad wreck. Or like a scene out of a bad Las Vegas movie. Someone, somewhere, must want that thing on Craigslist. Maybe if you write up a really horrid ad, it would get attention and you could unload it. It just needs the Dogs Playing Poker and Elvis on velvet to go with it.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert