Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xclusive_gw

Dining room help: Pictures, Sconces, curtians & placment

Xclusive
9 years ago

Hello, I wanted to get some more help in my dining room. I think �� I finally have a paint color picked out and now I am on to lighting. I am looking at sconces, wall art and where to place them. Here are pictures of the sconces I had narrowed it down to. The first sconce is the one I am leaning towards.

{{gwi:2139664}}

{{gwi:2139665}}

{{gwi:2139666}}

{{gwi:2139667}}

I am debating on what wall pictures should go and what wall should the sconces go. Sorry for old pics but I am work now and all I have acces to right now. This is one of the exterior walls with the only window in the room:

{{gwi:2139668}}

This is an early pic but it shows one of the openings to the foyer:

{{gwi:2139669}}

This is the other exterior wall:

{{gwi:2139670}}

And finally the opening into the kitchen:

{{gwi:2139671}}

I had a few ideas of placement and wanted to get some other opinions or suggesting on something that I may be overlooking or haven't thought about.

Scenario 1:
Picture on the exterior wall with no window
Sconces on each side of the picture
Adding a 4in recessed can in the ceiling that would highlight the picture.

Scenario 2:
Picture on the exterior wall with no window
Small picture on each side of the window (maybe adding recessed lights to highlight these but not sure if I want cans in all of the coffers
Sconces on each side of the columns going into the kitchen

Scenario 3:
Same as 2 but putting the sconces on the exterior wall with the window
Pictures on each side of the columns going into the kitchen.

I would like to get opinions, suggestions, etc. on either of the scenarios, combining the best application from each scenario or additional suggestions I missed for final placement.

Lastl,y I would like to get opinions on window treatments. I, myself like the plantation shutters just as they are but my wife wants some window treatments.

{{gwi:2139672}}

Traditional Living Room

{{gwi:2139673}}

Traditional Family Room by Baltimore Interior Designers & Decorators Elizabeth Reich

{{gwi:2139674}}

Traditional Dining Room by Charlotte Media & Bloggers Two Story Cottage

{{gwi:2139675}}

Traditional Dining Room by Las Vegas Interior Designers & Decorators P. Scinta Designs, LLC

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think the sconces should go on each side of the window. I like the idea of walking in from the kitchen, turning them on, and having them facing you as you walk in. I also think they'd enhance the architectural detail of the shutters.

Also think it's wise to leave the blank outside wall open, no sconces, as that is the only large wall in the room, and you might want to change the decor as time goes on, put furniture up against it, etc., and having sconces on that wall will limit your ability to work with that wall. You will also be stuck with always having to center something between the sconces. The window, being fixed, takes care of that.

I'd leave just the shutters, esp. if you put sconces next to the window. However, if your wife wants drapes, make sure to account for them if you decide to put sconces on the window wall.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

As far as sconces go, keep them off the big wall. You will need that space for other things.

I am not surprised your wife wants curtains. That room if filled with hard surfaces. I can't even tell whether your chair seats are upholstered.

I know you did not ask but I must say, your chandelier is wimpy. I think your coffered ceiling needs something beefier.

• User
    9 years ago

I am not so good at placement, but I think either of the first 2 sconces you posted would be lovely. I keep changing which of the first 2 is my favorite.
    And , your home is gorgeous- love that ceiling!!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If you put drapes up, I'd put the sconces on the walls on each side of the entrance to the kitchen. So while I love the idea of sconces next to that window, it seems to make more sense to put them at the kitchen entrance in order to leave the option for drapes open on the window wall, for you and for future owners.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I like the second sconce better than the first. It has some curves to mimic the shape of the chandelier. It's a little brighter and brassier than the first, which may be better with your muddy paint color and pick up some of the brass from the chandelier (which looks fine to me, considering the size of the room and the dining set). It reverses the shade direction so it doesn't conflict with the chandy like the first one. Not sure I love that particular glass shade though. I think you're on the right track with the more traditional ones but I'd look one more time to be sure.

I have shutters and didn't even know you could hang drapes over them. They did look naked at first. I would be very resistant to adding them with all that's going on in that small room. I'd get the art and a rug in first and see if that appeases your wife.

• kidrowlam
    9 years ago

I think first 2 sconces you posted would be lovely.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

If you plan on adding drapes (which I would recommend), there won't be any room for the sconces as the drapes would take up most of the space on either side of the window. How about a large mirror on the long wall with sconces on either side,

• Xclusive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have decided to go with sconce number one from Savoy House. To me they are elegant but still simple. They are about to be discontinued but I did contact them and they are still available for now:

{{gwi:2139664}}

Since I want to leave the option of adding curtains or putting up art on either side of the window I will put the sconces on each side if the entrance into the kitchen. Each wall has plugs on it so it won't be hard at all to add the sconces to the interior walls with attic access above:

{{gwi:2139676}}

I understand that artwork is subjective in that some will like and some will not but some possible artwork or metal wall art for the wall with the window

{{gwi:2139668}}

{{gwi:2139677}}

{{gwi:2139678}}

The consensus seems to be not to put the sconces on the long wall. Could someone please explain to me why not? I understand artwork or possibly some metal wall art will go there but what else would possibly go there that no one suggest to put sconces on that wall? Some possible suggestions for the wall so far:

{{gwi:2139679}}

{{gwi:2139680}}

{{gwi:2139681}}

Again I appreciate all suggestion or comments whether good or bad. I do understand a lot of this can be very subjective but I love hearing all suggestions and options that I may have not thought about or considered.

• User
    9 years ago

1. No sconces on either side of,window or cased opening or door openings.

2. Select your artwork first, then select sconces for either side of it, both to give more light to that area and to give more visual weight to whatever,you place on that wall.

3. No metal sculptures on the wall in the dining room, please. For one thing your sconces will be metal.....too much of one element. For another, The kind of metal sculpture you have posted is exactly the kind of thing that says "we chose this to fill up wall space in this spot." (There is a lot of that over mantels, too. ). Wait for the right thing or at least buy something on canvas with the right colors in the right size as a placeholder, even if it isn't perfect.

4. Curtain panels will soften the edges of your window and will not block out any additional light. I would find silk curtains in a pretty stripe or plaid that incorporates your wall color, or nearly so, along with accent colors you like for the artwork too. Hang them with small black iron rings on a thin black iron rod, which will reference your lighting elements. The panels do not have to actually close so you won't spend a fortune on fabric if they are custom, but you should be able to find a good selection readymade.

Good luck! Your room is lovely and I look forward to seeing your end result.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

The reason some of us think sconces on the large blank wall are not a good idea is because it's your only large wall you have to work with for decor, buffets, etc. If you wire sconces into that wall, they will really limit your ability to work with that wall as time goes on, as well as for future owners.

I'd agree with kwsl re: no sconces on entrances if the entrances have doors, but your kitchen entrance doesn't, so I think those two walls are the best spot for your beautiful sconces. Be sure to put them on a dimmer.

There are tons of options for decorating the large wall along with a painting/print. Also disagree with kwsl re: metal. What you actually have a lot of in that room is woodwork. Your color will be Hopsack, a bold neutral. To have metal on that wall would allow some light to bounce from the wall and assist the Hopsack in creating a lovely ambience at night.

How about a couple of contemporary - to give the room some bling and eclecticism - sconces that hold candles, maybe with either a glass, mirror, copper…other metal backing for the flame light to bounce off of.

Wall planters to hold some kind of flora.

Floating shelves (or not floating) to hold topiaries or other decorative items.

Personally I'd keep the windows as they are and not add drapes, but agree w/kwsl and others that drapes would soften things up a bit. I kind of like the idea of using a fabric that has some tangerine in it, which I think would be beautiful with the hopsack and all the white woodwork. Although, your inspiration pics are pretty monochromatic, so simple white muslin or linen drapes would be very elegant.

• User
    9 years ago

The long, blank wall is where you will actually need additional light. If you are concerned about future furniture placement or artwork changing, wired lights can always be moved--- moving them is not a big expense. However, fear of placing them should not mean you put sconces in another location just to have them in the room. You could always eschew sconces and use buffet lamps on your sideboard or whatever eventually ends up on the long wall.

The strongest argument against metal wall sculptures is that most of them are cheaply made and so look more like "kitsch" than art. Your taste and decor now must live up to that lovely millwork ....better to have nothing on the wall for awhile IMO.

This post was edited by kswl on Sat, Jan 24, 15 at 18:20

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!