Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window treatments that are masculine??

Posted by Karen15 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 20:48

We will be finishing up our build early spring. In our last home we did white plantation shutters throughout the entire house. They looked great but costed a lot. For our new home I'm looking for more of a variety. Well put shutters in but not everywhere this time. Our windows facing the front of the house have the grid pattern and I don't think shutters would look right from the outside (too busy). One bedroom is for our son who is 8, but we don't want to make his window covering too childish. We can keep the young ness as far as pillows and toys etc. would drapes be okay or a bamboo shade? Any insight to masculine decorating would be helpful. Thanks !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window treatments that are masculine??

west elm and pottery barn have some great masculine drapes. :) you'll find lots ranging from sophisticated (i love the gray stripe at west elm.)

to more cheery stuff like this at PBKids:

i'm putting drapes in my son's bedroom, but i'm making them. they'll be a bold kelly green geometric pattern.

o

Roman shades. Streamlined, non-fussy and can definitely be masculine. Pottery Barn sells ready made romans with blackout liner.

o

I love those striped ones! They would look great for a boy for sure.

o

I'll have to check out roman shades too. Thanks!

o

You can do both. A bamboo shade with panels on the side.
Depends on if your treatments are purely decorative or do you need light control and/or privacy?

o

Our home is set back from the road in a wooded area with a neighbor only on one side. Theyre not too close though and it's their side entry garage that faces us. So it's pretty private... So it will be more for night time

o

You guys are so helpful! What about these windows in general?

o

You might want to check out the thread below on window treatment ideas...

Here is a link that might be useful: WT ideas

o

Such a pretty room.
I probably would treat the bay as one window, and then get similar treatments for the slider and the single window.

For your son, keep cords and things in mind so he, or more likely, the window treatment, doesn't get injured.

o

Check out H&M Home, West Elm, Crate and Barrel, Z Gallery, some of the IKEA curtains (they are inexpensive, so can be replaced after a couple of years).

o

hiw about denim material? Or leather/suede (faux even). that says masculine to me. The denim would be cool for a kids room. You could even have little pockets in the curtain!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here