Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Could you live here?

Annie Deighnaugh
9 years ago

Stone, glass, light...

{{gwi:2139649}}

{{gwi:2139650}}

6 car garage, a bath for every room...this place is set up like a hotel.

Here is a link that might be useful: glass & stone hotel?

Comments (25)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

No. It looks like a conference center.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Exterior looks kind of institutional, interiors kind of fabulous...

• Gooster
    9 years ago

The bedrooms strike me as odd, with virtually nothing on the walls nor much in the way of decor or interest of any kind.

• voila
    9 years ago

It's too cold and hard for me. It would be fun to decorate, though. We could do a group softening, all the while playing tribute to the architecture, with education and/or correction provided by Palimpsest. That would be a fun class!

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

For some reason this is how a picture a posh rehab center.
    It does not feel right.

I like the floor plan though.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I'm not a big fan of the outside- it reminds me of a university building, but I was surprised how much I liked the main floor. Love all the green trim. Not a fan of the basement with the windowless bathrooms.

It would be awesome for a big family, or for a family vacation.

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

My thought was the same as Pal's; it looks like a conference center. No.
    Lynn

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Agree, conference center or state park lodge. But, there are elements that I like very much, and if it were reduced (a lot!) in scale I think I would like it.

• User
    9 years ago

Those railings in the central hallway look like prie dieux for worship of modern art âºï¸Â

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

Now I've got a headache just thinking about decorating that sucker. While I like the interior style, I don't feel "family" or "home" when looking at it.

Since it has been on the market for 234 days, I guess other people had the same thought. Of course, the thought of cleaning 9 bathrooms might have something do to with it!

• steph2000
    9 years ago

Echoing everything said above and adding a few things...

1 - Don't you find that the kitchen and a lot of the other rooms are somehow looking undervalue and/or unfinished given the scale and drama of the structure?

2 - I don't get why people want walls of windows in their tub nook or shower - especially when it looks out directly to a deck or hang-out area outside. I would never be comfortable with that - even with a blind or shade.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

How often does one find a way to clean all that glass?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yup, I agree with all the comments, but arcy's was the first that came to my mind...who gets to wash the windows? The lower bedrooms are so sparse it seems like a dorm building of some sort. I'd be curious as to how the family that built it actually used it...if they had a lot of kids, or no kids and this was their summer place where they hosted lots of parties and such for overnight guests...or maybe the lower level was for all the help...y'know, the people who were paid to wash the glass....

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

It makes me dizzy!

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

The foyer turned me off.

{{gwi:2139651}}

It's just one picture, but to me, the stairs and closet doors look way underscale for the room.

The window frames feel chunky for contemporary. Picture the whole thing with more like storefront windows
    {{gwi:2139652}}

Instead of:
    {{gwi:2139653}}

I agree that the kitchen looks dinky for the scale of home. Compared to my kitchen, fabulous, but my kitchen resides in a home a fraction of the price and sqft.

Paint all that metal black and I'd move in. I could work on the kitchen. But I'm very fond of institutional spaces - essentially national park visitor center is my dream home.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Wed, Jan 28, 15 at 7:50

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I guess it depends on who uses the kitchen and how the people who built this (building) use it.

The kitchen is actually pretty big, it's just that some of the living areas of this house are so massive it pales in comparison. But function of the kitchen would be reduced by making it too big. As small as the kitchen seems and as small and bland as the bedrooms seem--they are really the most practical and human-scaled rooms in the house.

Actually, the interiors of the entire house come off as bland, despite the scale and drama of some of it. I find something dull about the whole thing even though it's scaled to impress.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

No, but I would happily take the dining room and tack it onto my house--no matter how bad that would look. I know a photo technique was used to make the room look longer than it is, compared to the layout on the drawing. Plus, part of the spacious entry is available for traffic flow.

It's actually only 1.5' longer, and 3.5' wider than my gathering room, but with the windows and high ceiling, it seems vast.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

I don't care for that one at all, but while checking out the link, I'll gladly take the one at 77 Cricker Brook Ln. in Fairfield. It's much more my style.

Here is a link that might be useful: 77 Cricker Brook Ln. in Fairfield

• always1stepbehind
    9 years ago

I like all the light inside, but the front entrance looks like a school to me.

• awm03
    9 years ago

If I had the money to buy/furnish/maintain it, a weekly cleaning crew, & lawn service, yes I could live there. It's not the most fabulous contemporary I've ever seen, but it beats a bland box. Interesting is better than boring, I say.

The layout would work well for an active family. There is good space for teenagers & friends to hang out in, & the kitchen & breakfast area is spacious, functional, & homey. The color of the struts, beams, trim, & windows could be a better color(s) than green, IMO. My DH would love all the fireplaces, but I can't imagine the size of the wood pile you'd need, or the constant tending of multiple fires.

I'd combine two of the BRs to put the master BR down by the kids' BRs. And I think out of the 9000 sq. ft. I could carve out better space for a laundry room than an 8x7 nook.

• llucy
    9 years ago

My thought was corporate retreat. A big conglomerate owns it and periodically sends division executives there for training/ brainstorming sessions. Full time staff at all times for cooking and cleaning.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Oh my, absolutely NOT! That xlong table looks like where someone could be 'tried' in a modern day witch hunt. I have an overactive imagination, but it does come in handy when decorating. ;)

• User
    9 years ago

No. Nothing about that says homey to me. I actually thought the pic with the table was a wood floor at first. Took a min. for my eyes to figure it out.

• camlan
    9 years ago

The noise factor would probably bother me--with all the stone and glass and cathedral ceilings, noise is going to echo and travel.

And the redundant rooms--game room, play room, great room, family room, living room--how do you differentiate between all of these and their various functions?

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    9 years ago

No. Easton, CT is one of the more expensive neighborhoods in this state, along with nearby Greenwich. A fine of example of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should".