Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threedgrad

This may be the next decorating project for me

threedgrad
14 years ago

I am hoping to get this house - if they fix it up. The previous tenants had trashed it. Holes in walls, doors, carpet is disgusting, frig yucky. Let's see what they do - it is supposed to be ready by Thursday. What do you think?

Here are the pics:

Living room area: I would hang a drapery rod and drapes. Any hints dealing with arch top windows?

Kitchen:

Dining area: I like the flooring. I am concerned about the size but I would make it work.

Bedroom: This is a blank slate.

Bathroom: I think this is the hall bath but the cabinets have that laminate stuff that is peeling off the doors. Underneath the wood looked nice on the door from what I could see.

Back yard: The covered patio is nice with a misting system. The hot tub is not there but I would use the pad as a spot for my small umbrella table perhaps or a small seated area. The yard is huge although mostly dirt, sand and weeds. There is a storage shed around the corner. The entire yard has a 6' block wall around it. The street is quiet.

Comments (24)

• nhb22
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Rent or buy? Looks like it could be fixed up, but if you rent, how much will you be allowed to do to the place?

• polly929
    14 years ago

Best wishes. You deserve a nice place to live and decorate after all you've been through.

• loribee
    14 years ago

Looks great....never heard of a misting system.
    How fun!

• folkvictorian
    14 years ago

I hope it works out for you! It looks bright and cheerful and the kitchen has tons of storage area. Is it close to your jobs? Good luck!

• threedgrad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's a rental. I doubt this property manager run place would allow any money to do it up. I could ask. If it was an individual owner rather than a propery management company maybe.
    A misting system is used to keep you a bit cooler when it's 110 outside. I only looked in areas not far from my church and my jobs plus it's close to the freeway if I need to use that route.
    Thanks. A better place may pop up or I may not get this one if someone gets it first.

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Lots of possibilities! You have always done a fantastic job in your previous rentals and I have no doubt you can do it again! Stick to your guns though and make them make all repairs they have promised. Keep us posted!

tina

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

Looks very nice and lots of possibility for a rental. I particularly like that they don't have any carpeting. I find the carpeting in rentals to be cheap and get dirty very easily. That will allow you lots of options to personalize with pretty area rugs. Also, bath and kitchen both look pretty spacious. It would be nice if they did something with the yard though. Is there grass there? You could add some planters with flowers--that way if you leave you can take it with you.

I'm crossing my fingers for you.

• threedgrad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Val! Well, grass, as I now know from being here 3 years, is not the best thing for this climate. Phoenix doubles or triples its water prices during the summer. One small house I had looked at had a grass yard with inedible fruit trees. Looked pretty although grass is dormant right now. But his water price for one month this past summer was $196!!! Yowser! Plus probably $150-$250 for air conditioning. I am also looking at all the deposits so many of these places want. Plus some places say non-refundable. How is that a deposit? Wouldn't that be a fee or charge?
    I will plant some bush cuttings, some roses. I have several roses in pots now plus a large palm and a rubber tree. Those are indoors now because they like to be above 55 at night and we can get down to 40's or lower at night although it is already warming a bit. Days are upper 60's or low 70's. We got some rain today.
    Now this backyard is facing toward the freeway and there are two concrete walls between my yard and the freeway, my wall and one beyond it that borders the utility pathway behind my yard.

I like the tile floor because with my pets it is easy to clean. I will have rugs for my dog to make it easier for him.

You'd be amazed that several rental homes I looked at do not have a frig - what? No wonder no one is renting them.
    I saw another one today - too expensive but new kitchen cabinets, nice flooring but bedrooms 2 and 3 were the size of a walk-in closet. No way a full or queen bed would fit in there. No thanks.

My real estate agent has sent an email to the other agent asking when the work will be down on the one I like. I drove by there today and nothing has changed from last week except the broken down piano in the driveway is gone.

I had thrown out my umbrella frame which was all broken up last night. Some of the people who scrounge the neighborhoods must have picked it up today - scrap metal I bet. One woman's garbage is some man's treasure. LOL.

I will keep you updated.

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

Do you get much noise from the freeway. At least out here what happens is they put in these expensive sound barriers that bounce the noise 1-2 miles away and those neightbors often end up hearing more noise than those who live right next to it. I agree, if you are paying the water bill, then grass may not be a good thing. I'm sure your dogs will appreciate having a place to run around outside and your potted plants should give some interest. Hope things turn out the way they want for you.

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

Good Luck getting the place. No one has addressed your queston about the curtains in the Living Room. Since I have been doing a lot of curtain research lately, I can give you an idea!

Ignore the curve of the window, place a decorative pole above the window. Hang panels on the decorative rod, and maybe some sort of sheers on a traverse rod behind the panels. You can close them for privacy and to help keep the place cooler.

If the window makes the room too hot, you can also buy at Lowe's the window film kit. It won't harm the window, and is totally removable. Not sure if you've done this before. It is hard to do, but I did my sliders and it is amazing how much heat is not let into the room. They are easily removed too.

Someone pointed out the link below regarding curtains. There are a lot of ideas, so scroll through and maybe you will get some ideas!

Good LUck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cote de Texas: Curtains

• threedgrad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Bee!!! The master bedroom also has this large curved window that faces the front. But it looks out at the neighbors' cars and trucks. I want to do a peel and stick opaque contact paper (I think Lowes or HD had some) to make sure no one can see in since it faces the street. I would also do my sheers and my drapes in there. I went through there today and wrote down a list of needed repairs. I then typed it up and emailed it to my agent who will send it on to the rental management property company agent. Let's see what gets done.

I went through the house and wrote down things I thought really needed to be repaired to make this house worth the money. I had looked at a different house last week that was going for $1000. All new kitchen maple cabinets, new wood floor (real wood too), new tile, new carpet, 2 car garage, but too small especially bedrooms 2 and 3. So this list has the top say 5 that are most important but others that need to be done too.

Repairs Needed:

1. New carpeting in the bedrooms!!!

2. New patio sliding door - this one is almost impossible to open - HUGE struggle just to open the door.

3. Back yard gate - needs replacing or lots of work - also impossible to open plus it is falling apart, boards are missing or broken at one end leaving a large gap.

4. Clean up yard, front and back - fill large holes, take out weeds, pick up trash, cut grass, get all weeds out of patio area, rip off plastic latticework.

5. Replace broken bedroom window!

6. Replace back bedroom ceiling fan - it's a kid's fan and also too small.

7. peel off pant off of hall bath cabinets. Wood looks good under paint.

8. Re-attach dishwasher end panel.

9. Replace missing bottom vent cover panel on frig

10. Repair laundry area door lock - latch missing.

11. Replace wood floor edging in living room where it adjoins brick floor.

12. Repair broken area of brick floor in dining area plus crack in floor.

13. Paint ceilings where there is either red marker stains or blood (at least two rooms have this.)

14. Seal large cracks, openings in garage wall.

15. Paint front screen door.

16. Close large gap in corner of yard where two concrete block walls meet.

17. Build steps off of tile part of deck because the drop off is too high.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

Speaking as a landlord, I have to say that your list is lengthy and maybe not what the landlord is willing to do. The critical items, absolutely, but something like peeling off paint on the bathroom vanity because you think it should be done...well, hold on there. Maybe they just want to re-paint the vanity. That decision is not up to you, that decision is up to the landlord. If he makes a reaonable and honest attempt to fix any problems and turn the house over to a prospective tenant in good condition, would you quibble about paint on a vanity and let it be a "deal breaker"? At that point I'd say consider the other, smaller house since it seems to be one that you are impressed with. Considering that you've been in arrears with past landlords and unable to meet your financial obligations (on more than one occasion, I believe), I don't think you are in a position to make the rules regarding what a prospective landlord should or shouldn't do. Once you're in the house for a while and have been a responsible tenant, you will be in a better position to negotiate those items that are considered cosmetic and not necessary to living.

If you were purchasing the house, I would agree that all of those things should be fixed or the sale would be an "as is". Since it's a rental the expectation is that the house be in a clean and repaired condition.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

"I want to do a peel and stick opaque contact paper to make sure no one can see in since it faces the street."

I would not put opaque peel and stick contact vinyl on a window. You will never get the adhesive glue off the glass especially after being baked in the Phoenix sun.

Besides it will look TERRIBLE from the outside. Just terrible.

Why would you want to block out the entire view of a window with opaque vinyl peel and stick anyway? Just get curtains.

"Let me know what you think."

You list is too lengthy and picky. No landlord is going to remove a perfectly good ceiling fan because a prospective tenant thinks it is too small. This is a three bedroom house. How often is that extra bedroom room even going to be used anyway??

Replacing the carpeting? If it is replaced and you are bringing in all those cats and dogs, you can bet the LL is going to be real picky about how it is left when you move out. Say goody to your security deposit. I am sure all your animals are well behaved and don't mess or chew or scratch but the LL is not going to want to replace that carpet in a year again for the next tenant on his dime.

Some of those things on that list might be a safety hazard but most sound cosmetic. How "broken" is the broken BR window? Most of those things on the long list are cosmetic and many of them can be done by the tenant. I've painted and even sometimes wallpapered, every apartment I've ever lived in and even done small repairs.

As previous posters have already suggested, considering your track record of leaving landlords in the lurch you should just be thankful that someone is willing to take a chance on you.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

I agree about the stick on for the front window - in this heat it'll never come off. you can get - at a reasonable price - a sun block panel to put under your curtains. it'll help keep the heat out and will block anyone from looking in.

your deposit is most likely nonrefundable because you have animals. that's how it was when i rented back in the 90's out here. my house was the pits and getting a repair done was not gonna happen.
    check your local city offices for LL/tenant obligations. the local justice court would have that info also. That info might be online these days.

the cracks, floors not meeting, etc do need properly sealed for heat loss/ a/c loss and critter entry. that's a MUST.

the steps could be dangerous so that needs fixed. the patio door could just need adjusted. the locks, gates and appliances should all be in good working order also.

other than that you probably won't get anything done... you could ask if they mind if you paint the screen door or scrape the paint off of the vanity. if they say ok, get it in WRITING.

also, go thru it and make a list of every - even little - thing that is still wrong, damaged etc. and have the agent sign off on it - and take pictures. that'll help you later if they try to say you did any of that damage.

who is the prop mngmt co? so many owners out here use those. I used to work with a number of them in the EV. of course, many have offices all around the area.

btw - if you need a new umbrella for your table, check the Good Will, Salvation Army etc. I was in our GW a few wks back and they had several patio tables w/ umbrella's for around 30.00. 1 Saturday a month everything is half price too - something like that would probably be gone asap upon opening at 9 a.m. tho. there is also a code number on the price tickets - depending on the number it could be half price on any day. Ask someone who works there what the # is at the time you are there. i got several things half price - including a great guy's flannel shirt!! not old, not faded, worn, ripped - looked new and I paid about 1.50 for it! love it on these chilly nights. I got my old girl dog an beautiful child's quilt for 4.00. It was 8.00. it looks brand new also.
    when I moved into the place I'm in now I went there (or 'SAL's Boutique') and got those antique satin pinch pleated drapes for my 3 huge windows in the LR - 10.00 a pair and not a thing wrong with them! love doing that stuff! My former boss was always going over to 'SAL'S' and finding beautiful suits and designer name shoes for a few dollars - someone with money and her size donated to them evidently - cause she did that for yrs. As a supervisor and then tax administrator - she sure dressed good - lol! better than just good really!

oh, I also got 2 queen size sheet sets - i got them to put over my plants when it hits freezing - but they were so much nicer than most of the ones i have (mine are old, other than a set or 2 my sister gave me recently) that I'm gonna keep them for me and use my old ones for the plants! I don't think they cost me over 4.00 a set either. I'm going to run them thru the wash twice first tho.

I do hope you get that place - from the pics it looks very nice - much nicer than the 2 rental houses I had in the 90's.

does it have a swamp cooler? If so, be sure they drained it and replace the pads before May.

Also, if you ever need to know who does own it you can look that up also. Most rentals around here have to be licensed with the city to pay rental tax - the license app probably has the owner's name also. public info. would also be on property tax info.

• tinam61
    14 years ago

I agree with Steph. There are many items on your list that NEED to be done, such as the doors, windows, gate, cracks filled, etc. But you do have several items that the landlord might let you do yourself, such as the bathroom cabinets, paint the door, etc. You might ask if you replaced the ceiling fan, if that could be taken off your rent, or you could replace it and keep the too small one then when you leave there, swap them.

Steph also had good advice about pictures of all damage in the house. It's always good to document.

As for the carpet, I doubt they would replace it. Is it just dirty or what? They should clean it. I thought it was a given in rental properties that walls are painted and carpets cleaned between tenants.

I do hope it works out for you.

tina

• k9arlene
    14 years ago

How inappropriate and rude of the 2 posters who felt the need to advertise the OP's rental payment history. You both should be ashamed of yourselves and I believe you owe the OP an apology.

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

k9arlene ~ in response to your above post: It is not "the 2 posters" who have advertised the OP's payment history, nor somehow covertly discovered it and are telling tales out of school. It is public knowledge, advertised by the OP herself on numerous occasions. She has previously posted about how she hasn't been able to pay the rent in the houses she's occupied, therefore necessitating the need for her to constantly look for other housing, which is again the case. When someone is in such a difficult financial situation sometimes it's not a good thing to overlook the obvious in favor of focusing on frivolities. I would think that at this point the last thing to focus on is decorating and the repair of cosmetic items, but rather the imminent need to find a safe, clean and reasonable place to live. As a landlord who depends on our rental income to pay our bills it chaps my hide when people have little regard for their financial obligations, citing in no uncertain terms that because a landlord collects rent they probably have more than enough money and therefore don't really "need" the rental income. I would hope that reality would set in and the person would realize what a tenuouis position they are in.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I wish nothing but the best for you Threegrad but do encourage you to practice creative free decorating.
    It can be done and you would be great at it! Use what ever you already have and buy nothing.

You need to have a cash savings more than anything else, including a nice place to live, to give you security in case anything else happens. You seemed close to homeless and losing your pets not too long ago...so this is not harsh, just wanting you to have more security than a temporary set up and in the long run, be best for you.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

We are also landlords and depend on rentals paying the bills so we can pay the mortgage on the rentals. Dh is willing to work with most people who get behind but it does make him infuriated when they repeatedly lie or act like they are entitled to a place to live. He works very, very hard on our rentals, after his real job and to evict a deadbeat still costs him 40 bucks from the magistrate and then he has to clean and prep the place for a new renter, after he finds one.

Half the time he lets people pay the deposit in installments so sometimes he doesn't even fully have that.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

And, sorry to keep going on...but.. landlords seem to be last ones who get paid. Utilities, car payments, CABLE, all typically get priority over the rent and that's not right.

• k9arlene
    14 years ago

The OP's credit history is nobody's business but her own. Simply because she mentioned it in the past doesn't give anybody the right to bash her. I have been a landlord and, yes, I have gotten stiffed in the past. That's why I'm no longer a landlord.

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

" Simply because she mentioned it in the past doesn't give anybody the right to bash her."

This is the last time I'll post to this thread. She hasn't just "mentioned" it in the past, she has almost made it her mantra, informing everyone of her situation in practically every post and thread she's been involved in.
    My post was not meant to be harsh, just very realistic, and was stated as a "wake up and smell the coffee and try to sort your priorities out" answer to her question about her expectations and "demands" of a prospective landlord.
    Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

• work_in_progress_08
    14 years ago

k9arlene - while I agree that OP's credit history is her business, she gave up that privacy when she posted over and over again on this forum her dire financial situation. No one is bashing her. Just giving practical advice based on personal information shared by OP on a very public forum.

IMHO, the list of things OP wants the landlord to do is a bit much, but my feeling of OP's requests of the potential landlord have nothing to do with her ability to pay her rent. I don't think any landlord is going to go along with that list, great credit or not. I will also agree that the landlord will most likely take a huge security deposit due to the animals OP houses.

The posters who mentioned the financial status of OP have every right to use information previously provided by OP when answering/commenting on a new endeavor by OP. I believe OP actually benefited from the benevolence of many posters. If you do a search, you will find very heated posts regarding that particular issue.

• k9arlene
    14 years ago

I just felt that the responses were written in a demeaning way.