Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

The Den of Iniquity Look

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

The attic bedroom at our vacation house has been appropriated by our girls (10 and 11). They want a sort of Indian/Moroccan look. Patchwork sari coverlets, muslin curtains, hanging metal lanterns, kantha cushions, maybe a flokati rug. You know, think college and funny cigarettes. (alas, Vineyard Vines doesn't float their boat anymore). The floors and walls will be off white painted wood and or shiplap.

So, maybe because it's out of style now, but I am having trouble finding stuff. Does anyone know some good sources?

I worry about buying on Etsy from international sources ... in my experience a lot of times those linens have an odor and or bleed when you wash them.

Love this table and cushions:

Comments (50)

• edie_thiel
    10 years ago

Your description makes me think of the "attic" space from the movie "A Little Princess."

But, maybe, I'm not picturing it correctly - because I don't picture the funny cigarettes? LOL.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Just a couple days ago, I had an email from Joss & Main with Turkish flavor decorating. I think I have "trashed" it, but you could start by looking there and taking trips to your nearest International or world market places. They are probably not really interested in the high-end Middle Eastern rugs but a reasonable facsimile of such at their age, and some of the true object d'art.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Remember when Cost Plus World Market and Pier One were filled with those items? Pier One still has some online.

Some of that stuff is still available in the WorldStock section of Overstock.com. There are some Indian furniture and stores in my area -- do you have any?

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

Try taking a look at pier one

Here is a link that might be useful: Look here

• teeda
    10 years ago

If you're anywhere near a big college town, check out some of the shops students frequent. My 13 year old is redoing her room in an eclectic/bohemian style (although she would never define it as such!) and I've seen lots of Indian/Middle Eastern stuff in some shops in the Northampton/Amherst, MA area. (Be forewarned if you bring your daughters, though, that there may also be "recreational" merchandise--I cleverly steered my daughter away from those display cases). We've also had some great finds at thrift shops, and we really enjoy the hunt. DD recently found this great hand painted Moroccan hinged mirror for $30--I found one similar online for $350!

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I've bought used saris on eBay from Indian vendors to use as draperies.

The colors are often not quite as described or shown, but the condition has been acceptable.

• shanghaimom
    10 years ago

I second the World Stock stuff on Overstock suggestion.

Nadeau stores have a lot of this stuff-- you could just fill up the back of the car and go! I know there's a Nadeau in Manhattan but that might be the closest to you. All sorts of furniture and accessories from India.

{{!gwi}}

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys are the best!

Thank you all.

• shanghaimom
    10 years ago

...and the cute chakkis from Serena and Lily! Many fabrics.
    Edit: Hey wait, that's the same as your table shown above! lol

This post was edited by shanghaimom on Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 22:37

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Philadelphia have the perfect store for you. Sadly, it looks as if they do not sell online. Darn.

Here is a link that might be useful: Material Culture

• Jamie
    10 years ago

I like the Dance O Peacock from Saffron Marigold. They are very nice on the phone, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Saffron Marigold

• Jamie
    10 years ago

I want this coffee table from West Elm.

• camlan
    10 years ago

If you just want the look and don't need authentic pieces, Urban Outfitters has an apartment section with a lot of tapestries, curtains, hanging lamps and other things on your list. (They also have drug-related paraphernalia and stuff with words my mother would not have approved of--just FYI.)

Here is a link that might be useful: urban outfitters

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

We just redid our 3rd floor attic for my oldest DD and that is the look she wanted. She's only 14, but is already quite a Bohemian. She picked out a flokati rug, Kantha quilt and chandelier of capiz shells. Combined with an old chunky brass bed and loads of pillows, it looks quite amazing without having been a huge investment.

• kswl2
    10 years ago

I don't know where to get any of this stuff but had to laugh at the den of iniquity description, mtn. Love the items pictured from Serena and Lily, a sort of Indian Moroccan chic meets Lily Pulitzer, lol. I visited Morocco as a teenager and the authentic souk vibe could certainly have used some brighter colors!

Btw, that type of tufted cotton cushion with the rolled edges is what I am using for the daybeds in our basement --- are they comfortable, i hope?

• bpath
    10 years ago

Your girls have been watching Mary Tyler Moore, and fell for Rhoda's attic apartment:)

• caminnc
    10 years ago

Take a look at Anthropologie website.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Some inspiration?

Here is a link that might be useful: Opium den decor

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I second Urban Outfitters, e.g. their tapestries, furniture, bedding.....

Indian folding tables

Something like this look? It has the white shiplap as a starting point.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I don't have any sources, but I heartily approve of the look. :)

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Don't have any sources to add that haven't already been mentioned, but WHAT FUN!!! Takes me back....is this Throwback Thursday already???

• teacats
    10 years ago

This set of tables is on sale at Pottery Barn -- and lots of their bedding options are on sale too!

Plus I bought hanging lanterns from sites on Amazon too!

Here is a link that might be useful: PB -- sale -- cool and groovy coffee table

• teacats
    10 years ago

Also on sale at PB -- totally cool-and-groovy bedding ....

Here is a link that might be useful: PB -- cool and groovy bedding set

• jshore
    10 years ago

If you have a Ten Thousand Villages store nearby, they have a lot of interesting global hand made items. For some reason, I can't link the site.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Outside, Linelle, yes, this room will be fun!

NSoccerMom, yes Urban outfitters is a good idea. IIRC they are part of Anthro. Love the roompictured. I like the little stencil on the floor, too! ANd serapes, not a bad idea.

CaminNC, I am so into Anthro, for everything, it's not funny.

Annie, Lillian August had one of those opium beds!

Bpathome, we will have to google that! I do remember that Mary had a sunken LR, too cool.

KSWL, what is your source for the tufted cushion? I am so jealous you have been to Morocco. We had planned a trip, but DH put the kabosh (sp?) on it with all that is going on in No Africa. I want so badly to go.

Daisy, it sounds great, do you have pics? Where did you source the quilt?

Camlan, LOL on the UO product selection ....

Jamies, thanks for the textile link!

Dedtired, my family is in the Philadelphia suburbs, so Id make the trip

ShanghaiMom, I KNEW someone here would know what that thing was called. Using that term I was able to find what I think is the exact same thing, for $206 instead of $450. Cushion not as nice but we arent using it anyway...
    THANK YOU. Ive never bought from Overstock or heard of Nadeau, so thanks for those tips, too.

Thanks, Lazy, for your suggestion.

WMA, another good idea!

Chispa, great link, thanks!

Kees, do you mean the Shirley Temple movie?!

Patricia, great link.

Gooster, pier 1, of course!

Lyban, not that I know of. There must be some in NYC

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

I have wanted these for awhile. I have no spot for them. You need lots of fairy lights too. :)

{{!gwi}}

Lots of ideas on pinterest. I have hundreds of boho rooms pinned.

Here is a link that might be useful: cushions....

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Boo,

Those are great! Just wish they had more colorways.

As for twinkle lights, funny you should mention that. My DH has nixed it for fire hazard reasons (hard to argue on the attic floor of a 1906 frame house). He says non unless I can find very good quality ones. Ideas?

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I think the new LED fairy lights aren't any more of a hazard than a lamp would be because they don't radiate heat. I would make sure that they were unplugged when you're not in residence. I really like the ones on wire that were sold by Restoration Hardware and others for Christmas, 2013. My preference was for the amber lights on copper wire, but the white lights on silver were pretty, too.

• eandhl
    10 years ago

Battery operated LED twinkle lights with timer.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I have some GE LEDs that were quite expensive and they have the UL approval which I don't regularly see on such products. I think I got them at Hobby Lobby but I went back to get more and did not see them. Battery operated do not work...well....like I would like.

If you have a pet, you will hate a flokati.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Oh, and get loads of the LED powered candles! And canopy beds, or is that too far out?

at Wayfair

Josh and Main has a "global Spirit" sale right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: global spirit

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I did my eldest DDs wedding with this theme, but I haunted thrift stores and ended up woth a plethora of fabrics, rugs, lanterns, etc. Made pillow covers from clothing and a chaise from a crib mattress and a throw.

But of course, I was on a limited budget. However the look was pulled off perfectly using a couple trips to pinterest and Pier One for inspiration.

• teacats
    10 years ago

This is a wonderful blog about a guest house, shop etc. in Marrakesh --- and her book is very popular too! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Fascinating Blog from Marrakesh

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I was also going to suggest Urban Outfitters and Anthropologie for that eclectic, colorful look. I've seen sales come up on One Kings Lane that might fit in as well. Additionally, sometimes I see things at Pottery Barn (like lanterns) or West Elm that might work as well.

• francoise47
    10 years ago

Best wishes for your daughter's bohemian garret bedroom -- sounds fun!

My ideas about decor were deeply inspired by Tasha Tudor's rendering of Sara Crewe's attic bedroom. Still my favorite room ever.

So I am very excited to see how your girls' bedroom turns out.

{{!gwi}}

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

Um, hello? Would this not be the best place to use the Roche Bobois floor cushion seating that I cannot for the life of me figure out how to use?? I can smell the clove cigarettes as I type! Back to reality.... you've gotten plenty of great sources and this is going to be the most awesome teen girl hangout ever!

Francoise47 - I love your taste, and this artwork from possibly my favorite childhood book is sublime. A perfect inspiration for an attic room.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Marina, oooh I've always liked the Roche Bobois rooms, but could also never work their furniture in my home. I think I showed that same one to DH for our Guest House (aka man cave) and he quickly shot it down ...

• kswl2
    10 years ago

Love those floor sofas--- or did, when I had two completely functional knees, lol!

Mtn, I ordered the the daybed cushions from pottery barn. Couldn't decide between the two color options (a very pretty tan and black/ivory ticking stripe) so I ordered both and will send one set back. They're pretty big, were freight delivered, not cute and floral-y like the darling cushions on this thread, but are constructed in the exact same way.

I was in North Africa on a couple of occasions as a teenager, when I lived in Europe. We had to stick in groups of fours and each group had to have at least one older boy. There was at the time a brisk trade in blonde haired, blue eyed young boys and the couple of younger kids were not even allowed to go ashore unless they were chaperoned by a teacher. Marrakech in the 70s was just about as cool as you would imagine it to be. The ports were dreadful, though, and more than once i wielded a broom to knock wharf rats off the mooring lines of our boat and watch them splash into the filthy, oily water below. At that age I liked Gibraltar much more (better bars, no camels) :-)

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

Mtn
    This is reasonably priced here at world craft ind.

Here is a link that might be useful: Look here

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Lyban,
    I snared a white chakki from Rugs USA for $206. And I learned a new word, too.

Okay, KSWL, so when i was a teenager we took a bus to Williamsburg for a school trip. : p
    Yours sounds like a (very interesting) short story.

Chispa and Marina, fab, just FAB. Sadly though the girls need functioning beds and the sofa should probably be a sleeper sofa. I am going to stick with kantha cushions and a sheepskin rug for the (gabled and windowed) sitting area.

Francoise, oh if only it had a fireplace. And a wonderful mysterious kindly man in a Turban.

Prickly, Tea, Fun, NSoccer, Pesky, Patricia, Eandhl, thank you all so much. I now have quite the little file folder and mood board going!

• francoise47
    10 years ago

I saw this bedroom on Canada House and Home's Pinterest page and thought is offered some inspiration for your girls' bohemian attic bedroom. I like the Indian fabric at the top of the blinds, and the lounge-day beds:
    {{!gwi}}

• chicagoans
    10 years ago

Just a thought, but... I think it would be fun to give your girls a budget and see what they come up with! Sometimes I think I'm getting what my DD or DS has described, only to hear "eww, no!" (DD) or just "NO!" (DS) when I show what I have found.

I bet they have some of your creative genes and they might enjoy the challenge of searching for something they love, on a budget. Then they'll be proud of the room and more invested in keeping it nice. They'll also learn a bit about working with a budget.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

For the experienced iniquitist only ....

Here is a link that might be useful: iniquitous to the max

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

What about this pouf, currently on sale for 54.00?
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: pouf

• violetwest
    10 years ago

now I'm embarrassed. I'm in my late 50s and still love this look. Just an old hippie chick.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

very cool, but colors a bit too harsh

needs to be bleached!

thanks for thinking of me!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Oh, but it glows in the dark :)

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!