Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasgal47

Has anyone used Custom Frame Solutions or other internet source?

texasgal47
9 years ago

Hi all and Happy 2015! I have a new 36 x 48 oil painting to frame. Plans at this time are to use a linen liner and a wide frame. Since this will be $$$ to use the local frame shop, I was wondering about an internet source, such as Custom Frame Solutions? Overall, reviews for this site appear good. Has anyone gone this route, especially with a large frame where final assembly may be at home? Samples can be ordered, and my interior designer can help narrow the selection if I'm stumped. This is a commissioned piece I plan to have for many years so it's worth it to get this right and not compromise. For the regulars, this is the Lei Day painting I asked the forum about back in March.

Comments (19)

• LeeMiller
    9 years ago

I've ordered some frames from American Frame, including one that was a bit larger with good luck so far. Much less expensive than the pieces we had done locally. But I've only done this for photographs, so I'm not sure it would work as well for your purposes.

• sloyder
    9 years ago

has the artist chosen the frame? many will choose a frame for their artwork, and frame it.

• texasgal47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sloyd, the painting is already in my home. I can call the artist to see if he has any recommendations for the frame. Lee, I will check out American frame to see if they might meet my needs. It seems to me that most online frame sources are not geared for large works of art. Thank you both for taking the time to respond.

• annzgw
    9 years ago

I haven't used that site but I have used pictureframes.com and was very happy with the outcome. I have another painting I need to have framed and may compare prices with the site you mentioned.
    My artwork needed plexiglass so I purchased that locally from Tap plastics. If you need glass, you may find you can buy it cheaper locally.

• three3apples
    9 years ago

Unless you want/need special museum glass (less reflective and more protective of the sun's rays), go to a local glass shop and have them cut that for you. I've done this many times and it's incredibly cheap. I also prefer to support these local businesses. But, as for the frame, I've been tempted myself by some online framers, though I've never taken the leap to order one. I have two frame shops that I love supporting and, though, a bit too expensive for what they are, if I need something corrected it's easy to do since they are local. Good luck.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I have also used pictureframes dot com with generally good results. They're certainly a lot less expensive than a frame shop. I've never bought a mat from them since I have my own mat cutter.

I've bought metal and traditional gold or silver frames in smaller sizes, i.e., no larger than 16 x 20 or thereabouts.

I had one frame I didn't like. I ordered a large 48 x 32 "Canadian walnut" frame for a bathroom mirror. I had a sample that looked pretty good and coordinated with my vanity. When I received the frame (already assembled) I hated it. The faux grain (a picture of wood?) was repeated and obvious. I didn't bother trying to return it or even complaining because I was in the middle of a bathroom remodel and ended up buying an already framed mirror. The other frame is hanging forlorn on my garage wall.

• texasgal47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sloyd, thanks again for your suggestion to contact the professional artist for suggestions. His thoughts and comments were quite helpful. I'm partial to linen liners for oil paintings. He likes the look also but said they are dust catchers--suggested spraying them with that same stuff used on upholstered furniture to allow light cleaning. webpictureframes.com has been the most helpful and have the widest frame selection so far of frames with a deep rabbet, especially the Italian frames. I'm just adding this info in case anyone else is also trying to frame a large oil painting with deep stretcher strips.

• dollymibella
    9 years ago

I frame 3 ways, local shop, Michael's & Ikea frame with mats purchased online. Michael's always is having 50% off framing, they do a nice job, I am am leery of framing anything of value myself.

• Tom E
    8 years ago

I used them and advise to avoid them. Placed an order two weeks ago and haven't received it . There is no phone number to call and emails are not returned.

• xpereda
    8 years ago

Agree with Naomi....they are on the ripoff report. I have been waiting for my order for a month and have not recieved it yet. They dont return emails and dont answer the phone. Am reporting to BBB and filing a dispute on my credit card for the charge. I have order from Pictureframes dot com and have had awesome results. I made a mistake on the website i wanted to order from.

• dougthyslop
    7 years ago

I've used Custom Frame Solutions for several years now and have always been pleased, both in the quality of the product and service. I've only had one issue on an order with them and it was due to shipping damage. They replaced it after asking I send a photo of the damage. I found only one report on rip off report and 4 complaints on bbb. In a newsletter last year, they stated that they had shipped out over 44 thousand orders since opening in 2009. They are a very good company. I also order from Picture Frames dot com from time to time. Their products are also very good but just wish their shipping rates were lower.

• crofineart
    7 years ago

There are a few reputable online framers that offer quality products but stay away from CUSTOM FRAME SOLUTIONS; they are the worst for delivery, customer service and quality. I'm an artist and have given them more than one chance to prove themselves and they have failed both times. Plus, they don't even answer their phone so you are left with email to try and resolve a problem, the worst.

• Ch Carroll
    6 years ago

As above, be careful. The frames are veneer and usually look OK. If it's a large piece make sure to order a thick frame as anything else is too flimsy to support the weight of the glass and will fall apart and you'll be picking up broken glass.

Some frames are assembled by the user and one frame in a recent order has a problem as the holes machined in the wood were too small to accept the plastic assembly pegs and the corners split and flared and did not seat well. I am waiting for a reply to my inquiry for a return and, honestly, they should have responded by now.

I'll probably be using a different source in the future.

• Nena Whitfield
    6 years ago

I recommend them. I used them for 3 paintings I received as gifts. I was weary because reviews are mixed, but they were just so much cheaper than bringing them to Michael's or whatever that I thought I'd give it a shot (partially because they are located in Virginia, not that far from where I live so I thought... I can maybe just show up.) It still wasn't cheap but my pictures look BEAUTIFUL now! My only complaints are that shipping took forever and although they were pretty easy to put together, there were no instructions at all. So they sent some little pieces that I have no idea what they're for and I've just thrown them away!

• Mark L
    5 years ago

RUN from CUSTOM FRAMES SOLUTIONS! I'm not sure where they are getting their 'ceritfied reviews' from on their home page (we can only guess why?), but Yelp and the BBB slaughter them! I got nervous several weeks after no response or product from them. So, I tried to communicate with them via email and phone to no avail. After researching it some more, contacted PayPal to reverse the payment - which they did quickly (thank goodness)! I have no idea what this company is trying to achieve, but building consumer-satisfied frames is not on the agenda.

• jay norman
    5 years ago

O completely agree with the comment to RUN from custom frame solutions! They are horrible. The frame was so far misaligned at three corners (see images) that I couldn't

use it yet after several unanswered emails when I finally called the man was rude and told me that they can't guarantee alignment in all corners! I was told he would send some putty so I could try to repair it myself. 160.00 frame and it's unusable with no recourse. Horrible company that should be out of business.

• Jenae Rubin
    3 years ago

They delivered my product 4 months after ordering it. We highly UNresponsive to email communications; there is NO way to get anyone on the phone. They did not deliver the pieces to connect the frames. Said they did, promised to do so at least three times. Never did.

This is a shameless company.

• Karen Shaw
    2 years ago

CUSTOM FRAME SOLUTIONS

This company deserves NO STARS.

I ordered seven frames from them, and the 3 largest and most expensive cannot be assembled. In other words they are USELESS, GARBAGE. I demanded they send me a shipping label to send them back and credit my card for them.

They said their return policy is I have to pay to send them back and pay a 25% restocking fee.

They demanded I send them pictures which I sent, then they wanted other pictures, then they said I was late telling them although they did not respond for weeks. HORRIBLE COMPANY. DON'T TRY THEM.

KAREN SHAW

SUGAR LAND, TX