Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tournant

Awesome CL search tip

tournant
14 years ago

Long time lurker- infrequent poster but I just figured out how to do something really cool and wanted to share with other folks who like me aren't tech-savvy!

I've been trolling CL for an Ektorp sectional for a while now. On my local CL page I clicked on 'furniture' then in the search box I put "Ektorp". Hit enter and all the matching results will show. At the bottom of that page there will be an RSS icon. I clicked it and subscribed that feed to my Google Reader account. From then on any post in the furniture category with the word Ektorp in it will pop up automatically. The cool part is my phone syncs in real time to all my Google accounts - mail, calendar, etc., so I can be away from home and still be notified.

You can set up as many searches as you want, just try to be as specific as possible or you'll be doing lots of scrolling. Instead of 'lamp' try 'brass lamp' for example. There is also a field to specify a price range and a box to check if you only want posts that include photos. Also don't forget the "Free" section, you never know!

Happy Hunting!

Comments (14)

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Thanks for that tip! I've seen the RSS feed button (have one on my phone for news) but pretty much just ignored it at CL. Sheesh. That's a good way to get early notice of something!

• nhb22
    14 years ago

That's all great, but what the heck is a Google Reader account? lol

Did you actually get a hit for Ektorp? I would think a sofa name like that would be few and far between on CL, especially listed by name. I hope you also added "sectional".

• User
    14 years ago

tournant, that's awesome. I never knew about that. Thank you so very much.

• tournant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

newhomebuilder, got one or two hits this week...

Jan 26 - Ikea Ektorp Couch - $150 - pic Jan 26 - Ikea Armchair - pic Jan 26 - Awesome Ikea Furniture - Great Condition - $100 - pic Jan 26 - Great Ikea leather couch - $450 - pic Jan 25 - IKEA EKTORP COUCH - $150 - pic Jan 25 - Two Ikea soft upholster chairs - $75 - pic Jan 25 - Trendy Ikea Leather Couch - $500 - pic Jan 25 - Ektorp Jennylund slipcover - pink and white - $20 - pic Jan 23 - Ektorp Ikea Sectional Sofa - $1 - pic Jan 23 - Ektorp Sofa for sale - $200 - pic Jan 23 - Ikea EKTORP Sofa - $100 - pic Jan 22 - Sectional L Couch Sofa + Bed EKTORP - $800 - pic Jan 21 - Sectional Sofa - $1 - pic Jan 21 - Ikea ektorp couch reduced - $100 - Jan 20 - IKEA EKTORP Sofa for sale-Tan - $300 - pic Jan 19 - Ikea EKTORP sofa for sale - $100 - pic This is the one I'm picking up tomorrow

Ikea Erktorp Corner Sofa and Chair w/Red SlipCovers - $200
    Date: 2010-01-26, 3:21PM EST

Ikea Erktrop Corner Sofa, Chair, and Ottoman - all with Red Slipcovers.
    it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

I was going to ask the same thing as newhomebuilder about the Google reader account.

I started reading about them now and it sounds too complicated for me. I might be up all night now trying to make heads or tails out of this newfangled thing.

• tournant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This explains how it works in pretty simple language, if I can figure it out anybody can, lol!

Here is a link that might be useful: Newbie's Guide to Google Reader

• User
    14 years ago

Well if I did this right I just did a couple rss feeds or whatever you call them. I use firefox so it saved them to what it called live bookmark.

• kiki_redo
    14 years ago

thank you! i did not know this -
    it may seriously change my life :)

• redbazel
    14 years ago

nice...

• nodjr
    14 years ago

that was really cool tip..i often use rss feed for the same.. but i am going to give it a try now

Here is a link that might be useful: modern furniture

• mari_joan
    14 years ago

Again with the SPAM â

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

tournant, I am trying to figure this out. First I went to google reader and registered. I put in my email but it is not a google account it is another one. Is that OK.
    Then can you explain what I do. step bu step because I am not too good at this type of thing.
    Thanks

• nostalgicfarm
    14 years ago

Does the google reader work with a MAC?

• tournant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lyban if I could figure out how to start working with Reader ANYONE can, lol!

Pour yourself a cup of coffee, curl up and start at the link below.
    I spent a good amount of time working my way back and forth through the different topics to figure it all out and I still have much to learn. I already have a Google email account and would be lost without the calendar, both are linked through my cell phone (Palm Pre) and I can't imagine living without either. Reader so far has been awesome to play with.

I don't know anything about Macs - I haven't "tasted the kool aid" - as my brother would say. I have been very happy with my PC, especially after switching to the Firefox browser.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Accounts Help