Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutmegxo_gw

my sage saga! (pic heavy)

nutmegxo
12 years ago

Hello everyone! I have not posted on this site in a year or so!! In the past I have received such wonderful advice from this forum so here I am once again!

In general, the "color theme" of our house is creamy yellows, sage greens, touches of cranberry. Since we have a very open layout in the house, I try to take painstaking efforts to create that "color flow" from room to room (which as you all know can be very challenging.)

So onto the problem at hand..My current decorating dilemma involves my master bedroom..

About a year ago I bought this pretty red french country bedding set..there are pretty florals and leaves with greens, golds, pinks, and browns all over the red background. The floral pattern reverses to a green and gold stripe and this striped pattern is also on the curtain valances.

{{gwi:1576863}}

Our bedroom is large L-shaped and has one area that is supposed to be a "sitting area" in which we have our dressers and then the other area for the bed. As you walk up the stairs in our house, the first thing you see is this room.

The entrance to the room is wide (french doors) so it is VERY OPEN to the hallway, which is why it is important that it flows well with the rest of the house.

{{gwi:1576864}}

The hallway (as well as all the common areas in my house) is painted Sherwin Williams Whole Wheat. Here is a view of the Whole Wheat in the hallway..

{{gwi:1576865}}

In trying to decide on what to paint this bedroom, I considered yellows and yellow-golds, and also greens. I decided that I would rather have green for the bedroom because it is calming color and would be pleasing contrast with the whole wheat in the hallway. I selected Garden Sage by Sherwin Williams and I have painted the "sitting area" where the dressers are in this color. I am trying to convince myself that it was the right choice but you know how that goes...you keep staring at it second guessing yourself. Hubby likes it but I am not sold on it yet. The trouble is that I already purchased 3 gallons of this Garden Sage color because I was so sure this would be the right color. Sherwin William had HGTV color pallette cards in the store and Garden Sage was shown as a coordinating color with Whole Wheat so I figured I was making the right choice. The trouble is that the Garden Sage is lots of yellow in it and at times I am afraid that it looks like split pea soup :) Hubby thinks I am crazy. Downstairs we have Benjamin Moore Dried Basil in the living room which is a grayish green sage color and I suppose I could have just used that same Dried Basil up in our bedroom but for some reason I opted for this Garden Sage which is much warmer.

I know colors don't always show up accurate on a computer screen but here are pictures from various angles in the room. Keep in mind that I have only painted the sitting area...the other walls are still white. I would appreciate any honest opinions and advice. I know all colors change as the light changes in the room but this Garden Sage color looks very different from minute to minute it seems LOL :) Certain moments it looks very pretty and other moments it looks like dare I say..TOXIC WASTE! :) Maybe I am just overanalyzing! Should I stick with the Garden Sage and paint the remainder of the room? The other idea is that maybe I should paint the sitting area in one color and the rest of the room in a different color..for example, maybe a yellow-gold in one part of the room and green in the other part. Or perhaps I could paint the wall behind the headboard in a yellow-gold color and keep green on the rest of the walls. Or maybe I should have picked a different green. HELP!!!

{{gwi:1576866}}

{{gwi:1576867}}

{{gwi:1576868}}

{{gwi:1576869}}

{{gwi:1576870}}

{{gwi:1576871}}

{{gwi:1576872}}

{{gwi:1576873}}

{{gwi:1576874}}

{{gwi:1576875}}

Comments (33)

• chispa
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

On my monitor the green looks alright, but if you aren't loving it and are getting the split-pea soup feeling then I would be testing a few more greens. You've painted enough of the room to get a good feel for the color and I don't think it will grow on you. Donate the unused paint to your local high school drama department.

• madtown_2006_gw
    12 years ago

I like it. I especially like the way the darker wood furniture looks against the green. But you have to live (and sleep!) there....I'd keep trying if you're not happy. I agree with the previous poster - you've painted enough of the room that if you don't like it now, you probably won't like it any better with the rest of the room painted.

• hilltop_gw
    12 years ago

Isn't it funny how we can get an idea in our head and then analyze it to death. In your case green paint & Toxic Waste. To me, the green color is really pretty and makes the drapery and bedspread just pop! It looks so crisp & clean but calming. I don't think I'd use two different colors in the room. The paint provides the unifying color for the room.

• User
    12 years ago

Well, on my monitor it looks beautiful in every picture. But, of course, monitors can be way off. Is that 2 coats?

I also think it will look very good with the hallway color. I am not sure that a gold/yellow would look good with the hallway. I also would not do 2 colors in the room. I think green is the right choice, but it sounds like you're not happy with this green.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

I also think it looks good based on my monitor and the contrast with the darker wood. However, if you don't love it, maybe find a sagey color with a little more blue in it?

• upa_lazy_river
    12 years ago

The wall color looks fine on my monitor...what stands out to me though is the valance. I don't care for it against the wall. I see though it is also on the bed skirt and looks fine there to me, just not against the wall color.

• nutmegxo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey thanks everyone for the quick responses!!

It is funny because there are moments when I think this green looks really pretty and then the light shifts and I start thinking it is too olivey. I am awfully good at second guessing myself.

jillinnj - that is EXACTLY why I steered away from choosing a yellow-gold for the room, because I thought it would be too much with the whole wheat hallway. Green definitely seemed like the better choice.

upa lazy river - I am not so nuts about the striped valance either, but it did come with the bedding set...it is the same fabric in the dust ruffle and the reverse side of all the pillow shams has that stripe as well. It is hard to see in the pics, but the stripes are yellow-gold with a sagey green pinstripe running through each yellow-gold stripe.

It is interesting that you are all in agreement about not using 2 different colors in the room. My initial thought to that idea is that it would look "chopped up" and cluttered with 2 colors. I see that two toned look in magazines often but not sure I could even pull it off.

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

I like it too, and like lazy river, I don't care for the valance. I would remove the valance and hang the drapes by themselves on rings from a decorative rod. I think that will update the windows quite a bit.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

I LOVE how the color looks with your bedding and furniture. But only you can decide if you want to learn to love it! I'd be worried that something more grayish-sagey wouldn't do the bedding justice. If you take the bedding into your Dried Basil room, how does it look with those walls? How about the bedroom furniture with it? I'd take a couple of drawers and the comforter and try them in the Dried Basil room and see if you like it.

I once painted my bedroom the PERFECT color green in the daylight, but at night I stepped into a mint chocolate chip ice cream sundae. UGH! So I can really empathize with wanting it to look good at all times of the day and different lights.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

In the first photo, i though the green looked too blah. But in all the other photos it looked really great. Between lighting and monitors, not sure we are much help.

I'd say give it a (Nother?) week. Color is so personal. If you will question each time you walk in , change it. But nothing looks off here at all ...

• loribee
    12 years ago

I think it looks perfect with your bedding, but you shouldn't have to talk yourself into it...right? Can you find something similar that makes you happy and then have them retint the 3 gallons?

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

It is a beautiful green and appears to work with the bedding. The contrast against the existing white walls is what is "shocking" you - I think the green will be much more sutble when all walls are painted.

It happens to me every time I paint a darker color next to a lighter color. When the room is completely painted, it always looks much better.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

i really like the shade of green as it shows on my monitor!

i also don't care for the valance with the wallcolor at all --- the wide red stripes next to the wide gold stripes makes me sortof see orange which i don't like with the wallcolor.... you might want to see if you like the color more with the valances off the window.

• Happyladi
    12 years ago

I like it a lot. I think it's a pretty soft green and goes well with your bedding and furniture.But if you aren't then it is possible to modify the paint you already have to a slightly different color.

I did this in my kitchen, I painted one wall and decided it was too yellow. I took the paint back to the store and they fixed it so it looked better.

• artydecor
    12 years ago

The soft green is OK,but if you went with a pale gold instead, that bedding would really sing!

• tracey_b
    12 years ago

I guess I'm in the minority. I'm not liking it that much, and I'm a HUGE sage person (that's what I had the hardiplank painted on our exterior). I had SW Svelte Sage and Grassland in our last house, and I chose another sage for the master bedroom in our new house last year......and I'm not liking it in there anymore (which maybe has me biased with yours). I loved it when first painted, but when we moved the furniture in ("coffee-stained" cherry), it went blah on me.

If you're liking green and want it to coordinate with WW, why not just go down one more color on the strip (or up one)--it'll still read a bit of green but not over-whelmingly so (or at least that's my take on the WW paint strip--which I like).

What about a nice golden tan?

Good luck. It's a pretty room no matter what you paint it!

• kickingup555
    12 years ago

I think it looks great the way it is, but I know that sometimes photos can be deceiving with colors. There are a few pics that the walls seem lighter and others, which are the ones I especially like it all with, are the darker shade. Lighting and cameras definitely can play tricks on you. I agree with hilltop that it really makes the fabrics pop in there and the darker furniture looks great. I do think I would stick with one color throughout so it looks more unified. As for the valance, I think as long as it's not all by itself against the wall it will look fine though the panels feel like go better perhaps, but I don't think you want to lose it because it goes with the bedskirt and that will look funny all by itself and nothing that goes with it.....but what do I know - I can't even decide on one kitchen valance. LOL

• sis2two
    12 years ago

I think it looks great with the whole wheat and with your bedding. It could be that you are so used to the undertones of the dried basil that this sage seems off compared to that. I have the same issue in my own home. I really like what I see though.

• nutmegxo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You are all tremendous with the feedback! THANK YOU!

sonicmom - my original thoughts were to go with a yellowy-gold but I ultimately decided against it because I thought it would be overkill with the yellows being that the whole wheat hallway is in the yellowy family (sort-of). The other reason I chose green is because I lean towards calming colors in a bedroom and green is definitely calming! Thirdly, I am a big fan of red & green and as I mentioned, in the downstairs I have lots of that going on...sage with creamy yellows, and dark red kitchen wall.

Dare I say that this Garden Sage is growing on me :) I came home from work today and when I peeked into the bedroom I liked it.

olychick - I have held up the pillow shams in my Dried Basil room downstairs and it honestly didn't look bad...but I have to remind myself why I chose this new green and that is because it had WARMTH to it. The dried basil never has that yellow undertone to it and in dim lights is grayish. Most of you are saying that the Garden Sage works well with this bedding and maybe it is because of the warmth...if I had the dried basil up in this bedroom it may look very drab next to the bedding colors.

Now about this striped valance fabric...lol...I am starting to dislike it more and more as you all are mentioning it. That stripe is also on the reverse of all the shams, and on the bedskirt. I was never a big fan of it, but since it was part of the whole bedding set, I used it all. I could take the bedskirt of and just keep the plain cream colored bedskirt that is underneath. If I take the valances off, I would have to do what terriks said and put up a decorative rod minus the valances.

tracey b - I think what you were suggesting is to use a different color from the Garden Sage card...the Garden Sage does not have a paint strip with varying shades on it. It is a stand-alone card at Sherwin Williams (probably one of those exclusive colors). So there is no lighter or darker of it.

Someone at work suggested to me that I make the entire room green but to paint the one wall behind the headboard, the whole wheat color or a darker shade from that ww card. I do agree with all of you that say I should keep the room unified with the green. I think if I had different bedding and curtains, it would be possible to paint the sitting area one color and the rest of the room something different, but with the way I have the bedding and curtains matching, it makes sense to keep one solid color all over the room.

Thanks again for everyones input. I think I needed some encouragement that it looked good...like I said it is definitely growing on me! :) I tend to become indecisive and doubt my choices too much. I also did some google searches about this color and found some really nice blogs in which others have used this Garden Sage in their homes and the pictures look so pretty.

• mjsee
    12 years ago

Looks good on my monitor...and I own that same woodland lenox vase...heh.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

All you need to bring the colors together is a large area rug with all the room colors in it. As is, your eye's only have two places to go, walls and bedding. I think the room would be stunning with a rug with green background and floral print

• nutmegxo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oakleyok - well the grand dream is to have wood flooring...LOL... husband just finished a year long project of doing the entire first floor of our house in hardwood flooring (which came out gorgeous!). Someday perhaps we will tackle the upstairs. For the time being, we just have the neutral beige carpeting throughout the whole upstairs.

I do plan on finding some accessories for this bedroom in yellow-golds...maybe artwork for the walls and dried flower arrangements with the yellow-golds - I think that would really tie the whole thing together. Now where to find those accessories.... hee hee

• tfm1134
    12 years ago

I remember having a beautiful green in my bedroom a few years ago and got so many compliments but I could never love it no matter how hard (5yrs) I tried. it was a beautiful color but just didn't work for me. if you are still not really liking it in a few days then I would look elsewhere. I ended up painting over it with SW Grasslands and absolutely love it. and as Tracey mentioned you can also check out Svelte Sage. Both great colors and they look amazing with SW Whole Wheat and Believable Buff which I have throughout my house.
    I am also not really liking the valances too much. I would just use the panels.
    Good luck and let us know what you decide

• Olychick
    12 years ago

I like the stripe fabric on the bed...I think it's the valance so close to the paint color that is the problem. If you decide to change it, I'd leave the bedskirt. It adds a layer of interest on your bedding.

• tracey_b
    12 years ago

No, I meant the other colors on the Whole wheat color strip--either go up or down it if you don't want the exact same thing flowing in from the hallway. With WW's sometimes-yellow-sometimes-green color, I think your bedding would look good with that family of color.

• nutmegxo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

olychick - I think the valances look bad because the green pinstripe going through them is very hard to notice unless you are standing an inch away from the fabric LOL. The large window in the sitting area is very large, so I would have to get a wooden pole rod so that the gap between the curtains (where the valances fill in) would look okay.

tracey b - I do LOVE all the colors on the WW strip! I actually used Baguette inside my pantry closet in the kitchen and it looks yummy. For this room I would have to go with a darker shade like Cardboard and I am not liking the idea of having this room brown (especially with the dark red bedding).

• nutmegxo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just for the heck of it, I was just googling the bedding set. (It is called Caspienne Bedding) and I came across this site where they show a picture of my dreaded striped valances against a sage green wall!!! Too funny...here is the link..

Here is a link that might be useful: valances on green wall link

• peegee
    12 years ago

I think artwork on the walls that pull the colors together will make a positive difference, also!!!

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

I love it with the green walls.

The stripe looks fine on the shams, bed skirt, etc. where it is only an accent. I think we are seeing too much of it on the valances.

The cream under your bedskirt detracts from an otherwise beautiful set of bedding. I assume the ready made skirt is not long enough for your bed? If that is the case, I would rather see you use the valances to lengthen your bed skirt, and use decorative rods for your drapes.

The whole room is beautiful, you are almost finished!

• nutmegxo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cindyloo123 - What a clever idea to use the valances to lengthen the bedskirt!! I only have 4 valances though and I don't think that is enough fabric to cover the entire perimeter of the queen size bed.

Over the past 24 hours I have changed my mind yet again on this color. I was starting to like it and feel good about it, but while laying in bed last night watching television I got that lump in my stomach looking around the room. It truly is a pretty color but I think I am having a problem with it in this particular room. I want my bedroom to be tranquil and this paint seems too dark to me. Combined with the dark furniture and the dark bedding, it just doesn't feel right to me. I am stuck though because I don't know what to do about fixing it or figuring out what the "right" color is.

I already have 2 more gallons of this paint which is killing me that I spent money on this stuff that I am already wanting to get rid of! Is it possible to get paint lightened after it is already mixed?

I put a sample splotch on the one of the unpainted walls of BM Spanish Olive (I have this color in my laundry room and like it very much). This is a soft sage green that is not dark, not light, just in between but it has a lot of gray in it so unsure as to whether this is the right choice for this room.

I know many of you can empathize with the agony of wanting to get a color right but not knowing what to do!!! UGH!

Thank you so much for everyone's input!

• cromba
    12 years ago

Did you get this a www.CherryCreekBedAndBath.com ? Look like one I saw there. Yum. My favorite store!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry Creek Bed And Bath

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

The valances appear to be twice the length you need for the bed skirt, so all you have to do is cut it in half lengthwise. Then you will have eight pieces and that should be more than enough.

You can always lighten paint! You may need to buy a gallon of the base coat to dilute it, but it can be done. Tell them to mix up some samples at various dilution points.

I would not be comfortable with the current paint on the walls. It is too dark for me. But it is such a perfect match to the fabric that I like the overall effect. I feel your pain in this matter!

• nutmegxo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cromba - I got the bedding from Bella Home Fashions but that Cherry Creek site has the same pattern as well.

Cindyloo123 - as I have lived with this room partially painted for this past week my mind has flip flopped. At the beginning of the week I was starting to think that everything looked fine but those feelings did not last. I actually hate the color now. Or I should say I hate this color in this room. I also feel I made a mistake purchasing this bedding - it is pretty but the red is not calming for the bedroom . I am considering moving the bedding to our guest bedroom (and will try to sell the striped valances and bedskirt on ebay). I can fix the guest bedroom up with the quilt and use a plain white bedskirt and maybe paint the walls yellow.

In the meantime, for this master bedroom I want a calming and soothing environment and a soft paint on the walls...maybe a soft green. I have been looking at the BM paint chip Soft Fern. I hate making such expensive mistakes!