Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chinchette

my dinette saga continues- do you like this chair?

chinchette
14 years ago

This chair from Carrington Court is starting to grow on me. Do you think the shape is weird? Its 40" tall. I would possibly use this polka dot fabric.

The other side of the room is the family room (greatroom) with red leather sectional. I would be getting rid of these farm chairs and at first I would use this same pedestal table but would paint the base one of the darker colors in the fabric or I'd do a treatment the apron and base to make it look like a darker wood (I'm pretty good at faux) Then later I would get rid of the table and get something more transitional. Alright, anyone still with me, what do you think? Is it too dotty? Shape too wierd?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (13)

• suzienj
    14 years ago

Hi
    I dont see thefabric you are considering-- do you have a pic? Did you order a fabric sample? Funny b/c i am also considering a chair for our dining room-- we dont have a table or anything yet but i'm loving the rolled back dining chair with half skirt... i might get daring and order 1-- just so you know you can order just 1 and then pay a 20% restocking fee and return if you dont like it. I called about that.

If i'm being honest i dont love the shape of the chair- but thats my personal opinion- But they have some great chairs that would work well in your space. I LOVE your stools-- i would almost follow those lines- square back.. maybe the albany dining chair? or possibly the curved back (is similiar to the one you picked but more square?) or rolled back chipendale?

Just curious do you personally know anyone that has ordered from carrington? I dont but i have seen some good write ups....

• chinchette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the honest opinion. The dot fabric is there between the chair photo and my kitchen photo. I do have the sample. The colors seem to go really well with my granite and my floor.

I don't know anyone who had ordered from there but several GW threads have good reviews. Guess that is what you saw as well.

On the chair, there is a comfort issue with DH. He thinks that the curve on the back will be more comfortable. That is on the rolled back chair as well. The others look to be very straight and not contoured.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Its like a contemporary upholstered version of a balloon back chair. Its kind of formal for your space, and for the fabric.

How about something curved yet angular like this Vienna Secessionist style chair from Artistic Frame?

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Artistic Frame

• chinchette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, question. How do you order a chair that you've never sat in? The Carrington Court chairs have good reviews on comfort, but really, how would you know? On a chair such as from Artistic Frame? Its tough, because there is such a lack of real merchandise to see and feel in our area.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I am a bad person to ask, I have bought a lot of furniture without sitting on it.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, how has that gone for you? Can you tell by looking and by specs?

So you think I need to go with something that is straight across the top?

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I have been pretty lucky, and yes I can kinda tell by the measurements--I knew that a friend's chairs would be too high, and sure enough my feet dangle:)--but I am only 5'5".

That said, I don't usually pressure people to buy something without test driving it, if that is what they prefer. One way I have learned is to try things I have access to, (whether I like the style or not) and note what the seat height and depth are, etc. and keep this in mind when I look for something I might Not have access to in person. For example, I like a seat height of about 18"-19", and this used to be pretty standard, but now there are heights of up to 21" which is Way to high for me, not so much for someone taller.

Then, do you like a flat back or something that is slightly concave and supports you laterally a bit like a car seat...things like that.

I get a rather contemporary/transitional vibe from the new kitchen, and I don't think that rounded chair has it. I would look for something a little less curvy.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. I think you are right.
    Here is an example of a Saloom chair that we are both comfortable sitting on. The number 57. It has a seat depth of 16.5 inches and my feet can touch the floor. But it seems a bit elongated style wise.

The #51, I have not sat on. It is 18.5 deep so I don't think it can work. I think it has better lines. Do you think #57 is a weird shape?

Here is a link that might be useful: Saloom chairs

• jerseygirl_1
    14 years ago

We bought all our furniture in our FR without sitting on it but we worked with a decorator who knows what he is doing and selling us. We took a chance that worked. Every piece is comfortable.

Is this the only dining area? I really like #51. Very casual and comfortable looking.

I also love the chairs Palimpest posted. My only concern is that they will get really dirty in time especially if you have kids. That would be my concern with any totally upholstered chairs in a breakfastcombination dining area.

I don't think #57 is weird, I think they may be too formal. A friend of mine has #56 which is similar to #57. They're beautiful chairs. Her's are in the DR.

We have #39 in our breakfast nook with 16.5 depth to the seats. Very comfortable for me since I am 5'2.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I also like the chairs that Palimpest posted. They are pretty deep I think 23"deep.

I agree about the dirt issue unless there is some wood to grab. That is why I keep coming back to #51, but its a bit too deep for me. I'm 5'2. Your's, #39, are really my favorite, but we were not that comfortable on them- we needed a bit of lumbar or back support.

There is an Ethan Allan chair, the artisan padback that looks just like #51. I tried it once and it was comfortable for me, but it is listed as being about 23 deep. (Maybe the back padding was thicker and pushed you foward). Its a lot more $ and I was not able to get DH to try it. Its no where to be found in my area any more.

I keep wondering if #51 would be comfortable despite it's depth, like the EA chair was.

• jerseygirl_1
    14 years ago

Chinchette,

To tell you the truth, I never sit back entirely in any dining chairs. I find myself always leaning foward. I guess it comes with the short arms too that go with the short legs. LOL.

• nicole__
    14 years ago

Oooooooooh! #22 & #38....WOW! I love the lines of those. I agree...all cloth is hard to keep clean...even if it's just dust or if sun exposure is a problem?

As long as my butt has some padding to sit on, I'm happy in a dinningroom chair. A livingroom chair is different....

• chinchette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I like the lines of 22 also but again that lack of lumbar DH wants. I know what you mean by not leaning back though. DH always wants to lean back.

38 is the correct seat depth but would it look busy in combination with my bar stools?

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz