Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ash8177

Mini kitchen re-do pre full re-model.. help? (pics)

ash8177
12 years ago

We planned to re-model our whole house when we bought it last year. We *thought* we could get it done by Thanksgiving.. of 2010! Wow.. were we ever underestimating the work/cost/time it would take! I'm coming to the realization that my new kitchen flooring, cabinets, and countertops will have to wait. It will likely be the last room we do. The way my kitchen is now is driving me nuts though.. it's ugly. So, I'm hoping you all can help me out?

What inexpensive, easy things can I do to make my kitchen more attractive until we have the time and funds to do a full out re-model?

These pics were taken before we moved in so the appliances aren't in the pics but they are stainless steel.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (45)

• ellendi
    12 years ago

I wouldn't say ugly, just a bit dated. (We have seen lots worse here.)
    A few differen ideas:
    1. Leave the cabinets as is but change the counter and add a backsplash.
    2.Gel stain the cabinets, add counters and backsplash
    3.Paint the cabiinets white (or cream), add counters and backsplash.

• polly929
    12 years ago

You could get really far with paint in that room.

I would remove the wallpaper trim, paint the walls white. Start with a blank slate. I would paint the cabs black and get some Ikea butcherblock for the cabinets.

One of my favorite kitchen renovations on this forum was done for $1400!! It was by a member named enigmaquandry. I can't find any pics of it though on the FKB.

Anyone else recall?

• ash8177
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you both.
    Staining the cabinets is something I didn't even think about. I just searched for before and after pic of gel stained cabinets.. wow! What a difference that can make!!
    It doesn't show in those pics but I've already taken down a lot of the wall paper. I will definitely be painting but I'm open for suggestions on color.

I guess it would help to mention my style leans towards country.. french country? traditional country? french traditional country maybe? (If there is a such thing) I like antiques too! :)

• joanie_b
    12 years ago

I think the cabinets are really nice and I like the layout too.
    Actually, it's a pretty kitchen - add your touches and make it yours!

If you can live with it until you can remodel - let it be but, if you feel the need to change it, I'd do the following in this order.
    Each step will exponentially change the entire look of the kitchen.

~Remove the border - $0.00
    ~Paint the walls - less than $100
    ~Put some nice hardware on the cabinets - less than $100
    ~Change the countertops in a very easy, budget friendly manner using a Rust-Oleum Countertop Transformations kit - available at most big box home centers - approx. $200.00
    Countertop Transformations kit by Rust-Oleum

~Refinish the island tile with a Rust-Oleum Tub & Tile refresher/refinishing kit or chip out the colored tiles and replace with matching tile - approx. $30
    Rust-Oleum Tub and Tile refinishing kit

Window treatments, accessories, and a pretty rug or two will make it more than charming.
    Enjoy your new home!

• joanie_b
    12 years ago

I don't work for or have any relationship with Rust-Oleum but they've come out with some great products in the past couple of years.

If you're seriously thinking about changing the cabinets, they also have a Cabinet Transformations kit - Approx. $200.
    It's available in 70 colors and requires no sanding or priming.

Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations

Cabinet Transformations Color Swatches

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Remove the wall paper.
    Paint.
    Replace the top of the island with a dark wood top.
    Replace the light box with some pendant lighting.
    If it doesn't wreck the floor replace the desk with an antique or french country buffet. It personalizes the space a bit, adds more storage and can still be used as a desk top. Actually the island top could be done in a similar wood and stain colour.

• Fori
    12 years ago

I kinda like it!

The wall paper has to go and you need hardware but that green paint is genius with the cabinet color. The cabinets look clean and modern in color (if not style). Maybe it's TOO green, but avoid white walls. That'll look like a builder's special.

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

Paint the cabinets white and stop and assess. I think that will do whole lot and the existing counter will look great with white cabinets and some sparkly inexpensive glass knobs. I even think the island top will look great for a "French Country" type style. Add in some red towels and a red rooster or two and this ought to hold you for a good while. It might even be "the" remodel and will work for the rest of your stay with this house if you do a good job with the paint and add in a counter and floor at a later time.

• gmp3
    12 years ago

.What GreenDesigns said ..and cut a few doors for glass it will make a huge difference. Painted cabinets will be very French country.

I had similar cabinets in my last house. We also added some beadboard to the sides and to the uppers.

BEFORE

AFTER

• loribee
    12 years ago

Wow...great ideas! Keep us posted on what you decide. :)

• arcy_gw
    12 years ago

Your cabinets are BEAUTIFUL!! It would be a tragedy to do anything to them. If the finish is worn it doesn't show in the pictures. If so, a light sanding, freshen stain and re-poly is an easy fix. Adding hardware will update them perfectly. Remove the wall paper boarder, FAST, and re-paint! Both easy, inexpensive to do. I was not able to remove the bulkhead but found a really beautiful way to disguise it. Add a large crown molding to the top of your cabinets then paint the bulk head to match the cabinets and add another smaller crown joining the bulk head and the ceiling. It all but makes the bulk head look like taller cabinets and it disappears to the eye. Trim is not expensive if you do it yourself. A new light fixture would also be inexpensive and easy to do yourself. The counter tops are going to have to wait no doubt. Your sink is unfortunate and would drive me insane but best to wait until you re-do the counter tops to fix that mistake. IMHO the only non cosmetic issue you have is your counter tops and sink. Your kitchen would not have to be expensive to "fix".

• teacats
    12 years ago

Take down the borders and paint the room white. Simple fresh and a HUGE change!

Change out the light fixture to a lighted potrack OR an industrial type light. Add a pendant over the sink.

OTHER POSSIBLE CHANGES DEPEND ON YOUR COUNTERTOPS:

A)Keep the countertops for now. Paint the main cabinets in white. Paint the island and desk in very dark green/black. Add lots of simple fresh white ironstone accents around the kitchen.

B)Change the countertops to white or black. Paint all of the cabinets pale french gray. Add hardware. Paint the rest of moldings in the whole room/house to fresh white.

• redwheelbarrow
    12 years ago

Removing the wallpaper, painting, and replacing the light fixtures will really be a big change. Changing the countertops will be a lot of bang for your buck as well. As gmp3's pictures show, painting the cupboards can make a dramatic impact on the look and feel of a kitchen. The process is not for the faint of heart though. Especially if you DIY, it will likely take longer than you expect--and be pretty disruptive to our household as well. Not a reason NOT to do it. Just go in to it informed.

Have you thought of removing the little added on display shelf at the end of the base cabinet near the slider? Not sure how that would effect the flooring. I also thought the idea of removing the desk and replacing it with a stand alone piece of furniture was a good one.

I love to see these before pics, read the suggestions, and then see the after pic. Hope you will keep us up to date on your progress! Have fun!

• ash8177
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow.. lots of great suggestions! Thank you all so much.
    I wish I could try EVERYONES suggestions and *see* what I like best.. I'm really bad at visualizing. But so far these are the ideas I liked best..

1. Remove wall paper trim. I'm going to finish doing this today.
    2. Paint. I picked out this color months ago. Behr Restful. (Very middle) It looks way greener on walls.
    Stop me if that's a mistake!
    3. Paint or stain cabinets. And add crown molding to bulk heads. I'm really indecisive here. I'm thinking I can live with them the way they are for a while.. just thinking it's a lot of work to do just to rip them out in a year or so. What about just painting the island?
    4. Add hardware to cabinets.
    5. Replace island top with dark wood.
    6. Replace light fixtures. I have two matching crystal pendant chandeliers that I love. I don't know if they will work in here though? I can share some pics of them later and see what you all think.
    7. Replace sink.
    8. "If it doesn't wreck the floor replace the desk with an antique or french country buffet." LOVE this idea but it might wreck the floor.. BUT I don't care if the buffet would cover it up. We plan on ripping it all up and replacing it with hardwood.. one day.
    9. Hang some curtains and accessorize! Love the white ironstone suggestion.

Please tell me if any of that sounds like a bad idea. I'm not easily offended and like I said I am terrible at visualizing. So please stop me if it sounds like any of that would be a mistake.

I really want to try to get my mini kitchen re-do done within a few weeks but life with 6 kids gets busy! I will update with pics as soon and often as possible though.

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

If that were my kitchen I would look in two different directions.

First, do I want to work with the existing green counters? If not, you could change them out for a neutral formica. Since you have only a small amount of counter, it would not be that expensive; there are a lot of very pretty formicas to choose from - many of them stock items.

Now, add to the decision making. THe finish on your cabinets appear to be in excellent condition (monitors can be deceiving). If you keep the existing finish, greens work really well with the golden tones of your cabinets. But I don't like the idea of green walls and green counters.

Second, if you choose to paint your cabinets white AND go with a neutral inexpensive formica, you could go in many directions with your paint and decor choices. You could probably do all this for less than $1,000 if you shop carefully for the counter. This would probably be my choice.

I would definitely change out the little desk piece for an interesting stand-alone piece.

Wood be nice on the island.

Can't wait to see what you do.

• hhireno
    12 years ago

were we ever underestimating the work/cost/time it would take

In addition to your above statement, I think you need to consider: if you change the counter top or sink and paint or stain cabinets now, will that prevent you from making the real changes you want later? Even if it is 'temporary', you might not want to rip out laminate that is only 1+ years old or repaint cabinets or even replace them. Those changes cost something in money and your time. Do you want to replace the counter top, with all the inconvenience that comes with that, twice? Will you, or your DH, think stop, we've spent enough on the reno, we just did this room, no more changes?

Only you, and your DH, know if you have the time, money, and energy (with 6 kids!) to make the changes twice in a few years.

I would do the bare minimum now and save the money for the real deal. Remove wallpaper, paint the walls, new hardware, new lighting (especially hardware & lighting that will be reused after the full reno). Even that will cost something that cannot be used for the real changes you want. In the meantime, I would start the research and dreaming about what I did want in there.

Keeping it functional but not, what's the word - pretty? perfect?, might help you keep your goal of a true reno closer than pushed back further.

I offer this advice from someone who thought some of my choices during my kitchen reno would be changed out & upgraded in a few years. My reno was 2001. I still have the counter top that I settled on as a temporary measure. I don't hate it but I'd like something different and it seems so wasteful to replace perfectly functioning, but not so pretty, counter top.

• littlebug5
    12 years ago

I really like your cabinets - the finish still looks good. But I vote for changing out some of the doors for glass, and doing away with the little corner shelving. Those shelves make it look dated.

I also agree with new lighting fixtures. I can see fancy pendants hanging over your island. I don't like your island countertop. If you replaced JUST the island countertop now, it would be cheaper than doing all the counters at once. Maybe get something fancy that would blend with the other green counters for now. (And while you're at it, take those rounded shelves off the island!)

• kristinekr
    12 years ago

As someone who painted her kitchen cabinets, I would NOT recommend painting unless they are in bad shape.

Painting is a LOT of work. And, even though I followed directions exactly--degreased, sanded, primed, used quality paint etc. the paint has still chipped.

For me, the painted cabinets are a big improvment and I don't regret painting, but I would not paint again unless the shape of the cabinets really warranted it.

In your case, the cabinets look to be in good shape, so I would add some hardware to cabinets and replace the counter on the island. If money allowed, consider replacing perimeter counters and sink. I also agree about removing the desk and new light fixtures.

But, if you are doing a big remodel in the next year, I would just live with new paint, hardware, and no border.

• redbazel
    12 years ago

I would probably concentrate on paint and maybe doing the formica countertops in a neutral (maybe gray?) color so the new paint job would look better. Then, accessorize your new color. That would give you a kitchen you would enjoy while you think and plan for more major changes, like maybe granite or soapstone counters, perhaps cabinet upgrades or new stain. Just the paint alone will make such a difference. I've even found that white primer makes such a big difference that it's had me re-thinking colors.

Red

• ash8177
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone.

The cabinets *are* in excellent condition.. on the outsides. The insides are damaged.. especially under the sink. So we will replace them eventually.

I am going to leave the counters for now and patiently await my granite! You're right that if I replace them with something "temporary" dh will be satisfied and it will become permanent.

Unfortuneately, I can't take out the side shelves on the floor because they layed the flooring after the cabinets were in place and so there would be holes left in the floor. :( I did however remove the shelves in between on the island because when we first moved in my kids were using them as a ladder. I got tired of that battle and figured since we were replacing them "soon" anyway that I'd solve that problem!! I knocked out the shelves and put a plant there.

Ok, so two questions..

Should I paint the island? (If so, what color?)

And, when I remove the desk should the cabinets above go to?

Thanks again all!

• jlj48
    12 years ago

I think that you can make a big impact in your kitchen for very little money. I would just make decisions as I go. Of course start with border removal. I would paint your walls "summer resort" that you posted. It looks like your paint needs to continue into the adjoining room and you need something fairly neutral. You can accessorize through things or drapes in a variety of colors. I would do matchstick blinds or shades above your sink (very inexpensive) and I love the idea of the butcher block counter from Ikea, however I would only do it on the island. I would save up for granite or quartz for the rest of the counters down the road. I also like the idea of glass in your corner cabinet with a light, if you have the time, money and interest. Definitely replace the overhead light. Pendants would be nice but make sure you have plenty of lighting. I HATE cooking in a kitchen with little light. Hopefully you can do this yourself. Hiring an electrician could be costly. After doing those things I would see where you are. If you're unhappy with your cabinets your could paint or gel stain if desired. But honestly, I think they are nice the way they are. The other updates will make such a difference that you may not mind them at all. They look like good quality cabinets. I know I have white cabinets and dislike them because they are hard to keep clean. Do you plan to use drapes for your french door? Do you need privacy? If not, I would do nothing. Otherwise, carmel colored drapes would go really well with your cabinets blinds and a similiar paint color that I mentioned. Please let us know what you decide.

• annzgw
    12 years ago

As others mentioned painting cabinets is a lot of work! At most, I'd paint the island and work with the top as GreenDesigns mentioned.
    Replacing the top with dark wood won't be cheap and you might prefer to put that money elsewhere.

Do paint the walls first, remove the shelves by the slider, then step back and see what changes you want after that.
    I see a lot of outlets and switches over the desk, so keep those in mind if you go to put a piece of furniture there.

• nosoccermom
    12 years ago

Can you remove the bulkheads, or are there pipes or lines?

• ash8177
    Original Author
    12 years ago

nosoccermom, I don't know if the bulkheads can be removed or not but that will be something we will definitely consider when we do the bigger re-do and replace the cabinets.

annz, I have a nice solid piece of oak in the pole barn that I could maybe use for the island.. later I'll get pics and see what you all think.

joanie38, yes, dh is really big on having privacy so some type of window treatments is a must. I'll think about that color paint.. trying to find pictures of it on walls, nothing turning up so far. The hall there just goes into my very small laundry room/closet. But the kitchen opens up from the livingroom which is painted Behr Harvest Brown. I may be changing that though.. I don't love it. The other rooms visible are the foyer and dining room. They are painted Behr Raffia Cream and are likely to stay that color for a long time. I have a two story foyer that was a pain to paint!!

Almost done with removing the wall paper. It's not much of an improvent though. The previous owners didn't paint all the way to the ceiling so it really looks bad in there now.. not to mention the mess I have.

• lauriedeee
    12 years ago

Somebody upthread mentioned Rustoleum countertop paint and I just wanted to say that while I was roaming around Home Depot the other day I started talking to another shopper. He was telling me that he re-did his countertops using that product and they came out great. He said it was very easy, dummy proof, and very durable. I was tempted to buy it but, like you, we're planning a kitchen redo 'soon'..
    But,
    I'm not sure what my husbands definition of 'soon' is..

• chucksmom
    12 years ago

Maybe I'm missing something here. What's wrong with the sink?

• ash8177
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jaysmom, I missed something there too I think? maybe it's installed incorrectly? From the pics you can't tell the conditon but it is in very poor condition. That is why I want to replace it. But I was also confused about the "mistake" arcy was referring to.

• mjlb
    12 years ago

I agree with hhireno - do the bare minimum that will let you not hate the kitchen (remove wallpaper border; paint; accessorize; maybe pull out desk and replace with piece of furniture). Plus you could switch light fixtures if you choose ones that would be part of the future kitchen remodel. But spending money on what you plan to get rid of in a year or two is sort of counter-productive.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Since you liike country decorating, I'd play with the island first. I would keep the tile top and the trim on it too. The whole thing including the shelves are very "vintagey."

I would paint the island the palest yellow you can find. Later, if you paint the cabs, you can still go white but leave the island yellow. I'm talking a very light yellow though. Butter yellow would be perfect.

I'm a vintage country nut (bad decorator though, lol) and I've seen so many gorgeous pictures of kitchens and islands similar to your's with the yellow paint and tile trimmed countertop. I came close to doing it myself when we remodeled, but I chickened out!

Plus, playing with the island first will give you a less expensive start, and a general idea of what you can do later.

• bananafana
    12 years ago

It looks like the sink is maybe not flush to the countertop. The hole may have been cut a hair tight. That's not a big deal to recut, but does mean you have to detach the plumbing to lift the sink out. If you note how you detach, putting the plumbing back together isn't hard.

Or maybe just recaulk around the sink edge? You could disguise the problem pretty well temporarily. Usually the sink itself is in good shape, but the crummy caulk can make it look really bad. I'm bad at caulking so I tape both sides so that even with no skill, it comes out pretty good.

• arcy_gw
    12 years ago

IMHO the sink is not able to do its job. I see you do not have a dishwasher. I could not cook/CLEAN dishes in a one hole sink. I see it is one normal size and then a small hole. Mine is two over sized basins with one small one between. I understand the old style "farm sink" is all the rage. I do not understand the interest. For that to work you now need another plastic wash basin, which you have to dig in and out. I have a too small kitchen. I need every inch to work to its ultimate potential. That is all, just one opinion on a choice. First a kitchen has to function. That would be my number one have to fix for function. Cosmetic is just that but function is what a kitchen is all about. You have had some wonderful suggestions. Plenty of cosmetic changes that will make all the difference. It is too bad the inside of your cabinets are falling apart. With the suggestions you have had you would not really need a lot of money to have the french country you desire.

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

Did you see the "Design Around This: Keeping the Golden Oak" posting on the kitchen forum? Lots of great ideas on that thread. I'll link to it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Keeping The Golden Oak

• jlj48
    12 years ago

LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of putting the oak from your barn on the island and painting the island. Can't wait to see it all finished!

• ash8177
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone!

joanie38, I'm going to bring the oak in tomorrow and get an idea of what it will look like. I'll post pics if I have time. I think I'm going to go with your paint color suggestion for the walls.

Dh and I were talking and I think I'll be getting new counters sooner then I thought! :)

• sheesh
    12 years ago

What are your budgets - both time and money budgets - for this "mini" redo? Paint and hardware for the cabs will be at least a couple hundred, the walls another hundred, countertops several hundred or more. For a year or two? I cannot imagine not being able to live with only a great paint job for a year. You will have that much more money and energy for a fabulous kitchen in a year if you just paint.

I know I am giving unwanted advice, but I couldn't help myself.

• ash8177
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wouldn't say your advice is unwanted. I appreciate any and all advice.. really.

Time.. dh doesn't have any so when we do the bigger things like counters, floors and cabinets we will likely hire out. I am pretty busy but I'm a sahm so I can make time to do this.

Money budget. Well, we aren't rich.. obviously. If we were we would have bought a house that was already exactly how we wanted it. But we do just fine.. there is always extra. If I do a little at a time it'll be fine. Start out at maybe 1000?

The thing is not all of it will be counter productive. Hopefully the things I put the most money into will stay.

• nosoccermom
    12 years ago

below is a link to photoshopped ideas for an oak kitchen with green counter tops

Here is a link that might be useful: green counter tops

• ash8177
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks nosoccermom.

I think I'm going to try to decorate with granite in mind. With what little counter space we have left after taking the desk out and using oak on the island I don't think it would be too expensive. The only things I will need to wait on right now is flooring and the cabinets. The rest I can do myself a bit at a time. And nothing will be counter productive or wasteful. I can even re-use the hardware I choose for the cabinets.

I brought the piece of oak in this morning. You may not be able to tell in the pics but it's pretty huge. in my little kitchen anyway. It's 4'x 6'. I know someone who can cut it for me. I just wish I didn't have to cut it! It'd be amazing to have that counter space!

Anyway.. what do ya'll think?
    {{!gwi}}

• mjlb
    12 years ago

Wow - I like the overhang on the island! Obviously, it'll need to be smaller than it is, but overhang on the open side is really a nice change. What a difference paint, floors, and appliances make.

• Happyladi
    12 years ago

Your cabinet color is a pretty oak, I think it's fine as it is but gmp3 did is amazing!

I agree about adding cabinet hardware. I like the new wall color. Why no dishwasher?

• ash8177
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree. I love how her cabinets turned out.

Dishwasher? I have 6 of them! Jk, only one of my kids is old enough for that chore. We will be getting a dishwasher soon. Before this re-do is done. It just hasn't been "needed".. bumping it up on the priority list now!

I keep looking at the oak counter and I REALLY like the size! I need to look into finding a cabinet base large enough to hold it. I wonder how pricey that'd be?

• ash8177
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh btw, I haven't painted yet and those are the same floors, lol. The only difference is the wall paper border is gone and there is a fridge and stove.

• ash8177
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just want to thank everyone for the help and advice. Dh and I have decided to go ahead with the full re-model. We won't be changing the layout but we are going to replace flooring, cabs and counters.
    I've decided NOT to use the maple slab from my barn. I'm going with granite all around.
    I REALLY want to remove the soffits but I took a peek today and there is duct work through out! I'm really having a hard time with this.. just looking at them makes me want to cry. I just don't know what to do to make them blend in. They aren't just typical soffits that are near flush with the cabs.. they come out almost 2 feet from the wall, and 10 inches from the cabinets. They also have some funny angles that might make crown molding around the cabinets look odd? I'm going to post over on the kitchen forums to try to get more feedback on the soffits.
    Thanks again.. you all helped me with the motivation to for the 'real' makeover!

• ellendi
    12 years ago

I wonder if the duct work could be made narrower. Then you can have those tandem cabinets with perhaps opaque class. They would be for decoration only to cover the duct work.

• daisychain01
    12 years ago

It is time to move over to the kitchen forum for advice. Once you've decided to do a full remodel, you need the experts over there. They are just as kind and helpful as the folks here, but have a level of expertise that is unparalleled - especially when it comes to the details.