Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dvrgrl38

Boy/Girl mixed Nursery help!

dvrgrl38
15 years ago

I am pregnant and the new baby will be sharing a room with my 2 yr old daughter. The room has a white chair rail and so I'd like to pick 2 colors but I'm having a hard time finding color combos that aren't too 'girly' or 'boyish' if the new baby is a boy.

Any advice and pics would be fatastic!

Thanks!

Alison

Comments (14)

• the4dsfromlhp
    15 years ago

What about cream and brown? And if you wanted to you could add accents of pink with her bed or crib and blue with his crib?

• prairiegirlz5
    15 years ago

I got so excited when I read the title of this post, my brother has fraternal twins, a boy and a girl! They're 22 now...

I like the idea of using two colors on the wall, with the chair rail. As you know, they don't stay babies for long. Here's an opportunity to really add some fun color!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• gk5040
    15 years ago

My daughter and son shared a jack and jill bath room, it was done in pastel shades of yellow, green and blue. I can no longer upload to photobucket, but I had this picture of the bathroom already on it. My daughters room was yellow and my sons was blue. You can sort of make out the bathroom colors. I had a cute lime green frog theme with the accessories and shower curtain.
    {{!gwi}}

• sweeby
    15 years ago

Why not pink and blue? Could be very, very cute --

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Dvrgrl38 congratulations on your new baby to be! Have you looked at the Baby and Toddler Rooms thread in our gallery? Close this thread and look at the list of all the threads. At the top right you'll see a link for the Gallery. Do a "find" on "baby." If it's not on the first page, it's on the second.

• bestyears
    15 years ago

Congratulations! When my son was three, my daughter was born and had to share his room. The bottom was seafoam green, the chair-rail was seafoam green, and the top was pale blue. Then I stenciled rainforest animals all over the top. Ferns, ladybugs, frogs, lizards, etc. all in periwinkle, green, pinky-red, marigold yellow, etc. Wish I had pictures but it was pre-digital camera... Was adorable.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Check out the bedding sold at stores for color combos that work well together and copy the look. Add your own personal touches to make the room unique.

Here is a link that might be useful: Target Baby

• citymomof3
    15 years ago

Congrats!!! Will you have two cribs in the room or will your dd be moving into a twin bed?? Not sure how you feel about themes, but you could do a princess/knight/castle theme that would work. Here are a few ideas where you could do the pink and blue thing and paint the walls a light tan.....

They're all from this place below. I bought my third baby's bedding there because I needed a crib set AND matching comforter for the daybed that was in her nursery. They have a lot of crib and twin/full bedding sets that match and the prices aren't too bad. Good luck!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Beyond Bedding

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

have you checked out HGTV's Rate my space. I was looking on there last night and saw some very beautiful kids rooms/nursery's.
    One room (for boys, but it could be unisex!) RED bedding, with accents of blue, cream, brown, etc. The bedding was PB with ivory looking stars on it. Didn't scream boy to me. Very cute! Green walls. :o)
    Saw another boy nursery on there that had caramel apple colored walls. Crib was cream with glaze. Bedding was pale blue toile. So very cute. I've seen that exact toile fabric in pink as well. So you could paint the room the caramel brown, do her bed in the pink fabric, and his in the blue. Wow, would that be cute. Then do their accessory pillows, etc. in creams, ivorys, chocolate. It's much cuter IRL than it sounds. LOL!
    If you like shabby chic, you could always just do various shades of vanilla in the room. If your children won't be playing in their room (ie: markers and messes) than creams/ivory's/whites would be sooo pretty. :o)
    Can't wait to see what you do. Congrat's on expecting!!

• ttodd
    15 years ago

I'm actually doing our DD's nursery in blue and cream w/ brown. I had these heavy drapes hanging in my kitchen (whose trim nds. repainted so badly!) that I will use in her rm (I've since doubled the drape):

W/ this bedding from PB Kids which is white w/ Light Blue embroidery:

And Feather Down walls:

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

ttodd~ perfection. I LOVE it!!
    I was going to chime in that my friend has two daughters, and one has a pale blue bedroom with white furniture and white bedding. Soooo ethereal and lovely!!

• darbyjane
    15 years ago

I think this room is really cute & would work well for a girl or boy.

">

Here is a link that might be useful: colorful bedroom

• ttodd
    15 years ago

Darbyjane - that room is so awesome!

• harmon_2008
    15 years ago

Cream is a great call but if you are willing to be more daring, what about bright orange or lime green? Both are wonderful with brown and a splash of pink and blue would go with them as well if you can't totally avoid the boy and girl thing!

you can find some good artwork in Nina site