Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zorroslw1

Sw Evening Shadow, Does this gray have a blue in it?

zorroslw1
9 years ago

I am looking for a light to medium gray paint for the great room. Open
floor plan that includes kitchen/dining area. Windows are on the south and east. I would like a very subtle blue in it, but not to the point that it will look blue. Does SW evening shadows fit this? If you have used a gray like I described, I would like to know the name of it. Thanks for your help.

Comments (5)

• yayagal
    9 years ago

If you read the stats you get a clue, note the colors that are in the paint, they use the first letter for the color so it has some blue in it. The LVR gives you a clue to the lightness or darkness of the color, the higher the number the lighter. So I would say your choice would not be very bright.

Here is a link that might be useful: color

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Here's one I think might work, the first color in the shades of gray board. Just click on the color.

Here is a link that might be useful: new color

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    9 years ago

I would like a very subtle blue in it, but not to the point that it will look blue. Does SW evening shadows fit this?

If you flip the phrasing of the question a little bit, it will make it easier to understand the color.

What we need to ask is what hue family does SW Evening Shadows belong to. If it's around the blue hue family, then it sounds like the kind of color you're looking for.

Paint manufacturers do not make determining hue family easy despite the fact that their color systems are all based on hue families. It's actually very easy and I will never understand why all of them do not provide color notations that include hue family.

The RGB values given in the links from yayagal have nothing to do with the paint formula. Those values refer to the red, green and blue channels of light that illuminate in different amounts/combinations to produce colors on a device - like a TV, computer monitor, smartphone, etc. SW gives us RGB values in case you want to mimic the in real life paint color in Photoshop, a PowerPoint presentation and stuff like that. Again, those values in no way relate back to the in real life paint color.

What you need for in real life color are color notations. Like from Munsell.

There are ways to find a color notation for paint colors if the manufacturer does not provide the notation. Dunn-Edwards, for example, does provide Munsell color notations for all of their colors.

SW does not. Here at The Land of Color we do notation conversions all the time for paint colors that do not have them - because they are insanely valuable and helpful. A color notation is like a bio for a paint color. Read the notation, and you know the color.

Here's the hue/value/chroma color notation info for SW Evening Shadows. It's right on the cusp of the blue hue family and the purple blue hue family (see color wheel). Its chroma is super low at 0.5 which means it doesn't have a whole bunch of colorfulness to it, it means that is near a neutral gray:

Hue 0.15PB / Value 8.2 / Chroma 0.5

• zorroslw1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Funcolors

That is very interesting, thanks.

• hmthelords
    7 years ago

I would say that is very accurate to what I am seeing on my wall. I know this topic is old, but just in case anyone is googling this color info, like I was, I thought I would confirm Lori's color assessment. :)