Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babs711_gw

Gray/Black/Charcoal Painted Interior Doors?

babs711
12 years ago

We're building right now and have 10 foot ceilings down and 9 up. Downstairs will have 8 foot doors, up will have 6'8". I'm trying to decide if I want to be brave and go with dark doors or have them painted the same shade as my trim (some shade of white). My front door is stained. The windows are white. So I'm thinking the backdoor set of french doors will be white. Our trim will be similar to this. Our front door will be single but similar in style to this with a larger bottom section:

{{!gwi}}

Dark & Gray doors:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Some things to consider with the dark: If we do go this route, do ALL doors get painted dark? Even INSIDE the bedrooms (i.e. closet doors in kids' bedrooms etc, bedrooms with bathrooms in them, etc.)? I'm also thinking about the fact that downstairs is very open. You do see a set of double eight foot doors to the right when you walk in. But then there are two "vestibule" type areas off the main space. One has a pocket door that houses three other doors to other spaces. The other is a cased opening with doors in that area. So these clusters of doors, dark? White?

Part of our downstairs plan so you can see the little vestibule areas I'm referring to:

What do you think? The walls in the main space will more than likely be some shade of greige like Revere Pewter.

Comments (19)

• EG3d
    12 years ago

I think doors in black, gray or white would blend together nicely. The black doors are sharp looking.

• caminnc
    12 years ago

Go dark, Go dark, Go dark!

• jerseygirl_1
    12 years ago

I painted the inside doors in our guest br RH Graphite a few years ago which includes the closet doors. The walls are BM White Dove. The ceiling is RH Graphite also. I love the way the room looks.

Gray or Black gets my vote.

• rmkitchen
    12 years ago

I think so much depends upon your personal style. We live in a development with big houses built in the mid-late 90s -- we've redone literally every surface of the house and part of that was me painting the main floor doors high-gloss black. I love it. Our style is mostly traditional, I guess, and when we first had the house painted (after having the knock-down walls plastered in a smooth finish) I had the doors (all of them, up and down) painted in the same color as the trim (BM's Calming Cream). Our front door, inside and out, we'd had painted in high-gloss black in the first place, however.

I lived with it for a while and my eye told me it was time for the main floor doors to be black. I did also paint the double doors to the master bedroom (upstairs) because you can see them from the main floor and I wanted that continuity. I'd thought about painting all the upstairs doors, just the side which faces the hallway, but then decided against it. Maybe one day?

Of course you can paint just one side of the door one color and the other side a different color -- don't worry about that.

Are the pics you posted your overall inspiration pictures, or are they merely illustrating the darker doors?

• pps7
    12 years ago

I love this look, but chickened out!

I don't think you need to do all the doors black. I would maybe do only the French doors on the first floor or all the door in The open living part of the first floor.

• babs711
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you guys! I think I'm going to give this a shot! I'm sure our builder will think I'm nuts!

• WendyB 5A/MA
    12 years ago

From the title of this thread, I never would have thought I would be on board with this idea, but I just love all the pictures. Boy, you gotta really think outside the box sometimes. Amazing what those black doors do for the rooms. Such depth. I bet even one door as an accent in the right spot (with something else in the room black too), would be fine. Baby steps...

I happen to be right in the middle of painting 5 hallway doors white (from ugly cheap dreary wood). Now it seems so blahzay, been-there. This hallway is small and not much natural light so I can't picture pulling black off there, but I am going to look for someplace to add some black accents.

Good luck!

• babs711
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Haha Wendy! I'm glad I've inspired you a bit!

• ttodd
    12 years ago

All of the trim and doors in our practice are painted SW Gauntlet Gray:

• sweeby
    12 years ago

Ours are all (well, mostly all) a dark greenish gray, and they really makes the house look much warmer and more elegant. Sorry, but IMHO, all this white trim gets kinda boring...

• downszr
    12 years ago

I love the look of the charcoal and gray doors. The black ones are attractive, too, but I've gotten so fed up with my black furniture looking dusty (6 hrs. after being dusted) that I wouldn't paint anything black. The gray is very tempting, especially since my husband never seems to remember to wash hands after reading a newspaper and leaves his smudged fingerprints on doors all over the house.

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

I second downszr's post. I'm redoing an upstairs bathroom and painted the oak cabinet black. while I like the look of the black on the cabinet it is already high maintenance. Every little speck of dirt, dust, etc shows alot. and if the paint chips the chipped area would look horrible. Just depends on how much maintenance you want to do and how fussy you are about everything looking perfect. Grey might be a really good choice...

• WendyB 5A/MA
    12 years ago

Good point about the dust showing easily on dark surfaces, but I find that most dust collects on horizontal surfaces not verticals. So doors might be okay, but I have no firsthand knowledge.

• babs711
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sweeby, do you have photos? I'd love to see!

I'd like to keep our trim white and just paint the doors as in the photos above.

Interesting thoughts about the dust. We've had antiqued black furniture in our home as well. You're correct about the dust. But I also notice it on the horizontal surfaces more than the vertical. But then there's the crevices from the panels in the doors. I do like the thoughts about the smudges and fingerprints! We have kids so that's a nice bonus!

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

I just saw this Ideabook on Houzz!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: [Black Doors[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/the-case-for-beautiful-black-doors-stsetivw-vs~1339258)

• tammy518
    12 years ago

Sweeby, I'd like to see pictures of your doors also? What color did you use?

I'd never really thought about or heard of dark/black doors but the pictures are lovely so I might try this in the future. As another poster said it would get rid of the problem of grimy hands getting the doors dirty.

• User
    12 years ago

I have decided to paint our doors, which are a light, almost pickled wood that I loathe. The reason we havent done it before is that there is no way we will match or even approximate the trim, which is a high gloss, oil based paint in a creamy white. I do not want shiny doors anyway. Our wall color is light green in the main entrance area, and colors ranging from hawthorne yellow to muted golds in the bedrooms (and one a stronger green). I'm afraid black or charcoal doors will make too much of a statement and look busy and weird. I love the dark doors, but everyone who has them here on GW or on houzz has a white or light gray wall color.

What colors should I try on my interior doors? A complementary white? Refinish in a darker wood tone?

• sweeby
    12 years ago

Hard to believe, but I don't have any pictures of our doors! This is the closest I have -- with the pocket doors slid open and decorated for Christmas...