Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevesue

Early American (Colonial) dining room set

stevesue
12 years ago

Please give me your thoughts. We are in the process of remodeling and have chosen a craftsman style look throughout the house with white paneled wainscoting, white kitchen cabinets, wood floors, etc. My husband wants to use our old dining room table which is a 1970 Early American, Colonial, Maple round (oval w/ leaves) pedestal table. I think it will look out of place. What do you think?

Comments (10)

• chucksmom
    12 years ago

Craftsman style in white? Interesting, I'm going to have to do some serious web lurking for this one. Most craftsman style homes that I've seen have extensive stained wood in them. Can you post a picture?

• Oakley
    12 years ago

My mom decorated in Early American and I loved it! It's hard to know without seeing pictures. Personally I like a mixture of wood in a house. And this is just me, if every piece of furniture in your home was Craftsman, I think it would look boring. I love Craftsman though.

Can you paint the table? Not sure if painted furniture goes with Craftsman.

My mom (she was very good at decor), bought an antique black dining room table, then she beat it with a large chain, and then stained it "Turkey Red." It was gorgeous.

I miss the Early American style. I'm sure none of that info helped you. LOL

• celticmoon
    12 years ago

That style wouldn't be a good fit. Chunkier and linear would be a better match.

I was just trolling for DR tables and there are SO many out there on CL and ebay and on consignment. If you pounce on a bargain (especially if you are willing to refinish), and then sold yours, the change may not cost you that much.

Can't hurt to keep your eyes open.

• stevesue
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your quick replies. Maybe the style would not be labeled "craftsman" but more "traditional". Our remodel is still in the planning stages, we did a complete demo of the first floor and are living in the basement. We are just beginning the remodel part...so no pictures yet. Just jumping ahead wondering if that old table would go with the remodel. Thanks for your replies.

• chucksmom
    12 years ago

Thanks for the clarification. I'm sure the table will work, the question is what are the chairs like? Trestle tables are very traditional, and maple would work, IMHO, but the style of the chairs could make or break it.

• stevesue
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The chairs are also early american/colonial with round turned legs but very heavy and thick. There is one captains chair and 5 side chairs. It is a pedestal table, which is a little different than a trestle. I agree with what celticmoon is saying a trestle would be a better fit because it would be more linear and chunky not so round; a more craftsman look. I guess I will wait until the remodel is done and give it a try, if not go shopping. Thanks again for your time.

• chucksmom
    12 years ago

Oops, you did say pedestal. That's what I get when I work all day and try to make sense at night LOL! I think a trestle table is far more "colonial" than a pedestal. I'd put the table in the room and see if it works. Meanwhile, keep us posted and have fun with your renovations!

• Olychick
    12 years ago

Last year I was visiting NC and went into a decor/garden store with some used/updated pieces of furniture. They had a selection of 1960's 70's maple "colonial" dining sets that they had painted in the wildest colors. My mother had and loved that maple furniture and I really didn't like it. I wasn't sure it could ever be made to look current, but these sets were adorable. I remember a matte black one and a wonderful red set and some wilder colors, kind of like the second picture below. I know these aren't the exact style you are speaking of, but just to give you an idea of the possibilities:

{{!gwi}}

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

I am curious about the white being "Craftsman". All of my friends who have true Craftsman style homes have no white to speak of, save a room or two with a white toned paint color. Those homes are mostly dark stained woods and trim. Really not much white at all. The style as you describe, reads either traditional or victorian, or perhaps cottage? When you have an opportunity, a pic of the dining set would help. Do you have any inspiration pics that you intend to replicate for the reno?

olychick - I love pic #3 you posted. I have an old wood table very similar to that pictured that I have been holding onto for years. You've now given me some inspiration of what to do with that table! Thx.

• stevesue
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Olychick, thanks for the pictures. I do like that painted flat black, distressed pair of chairs. I am not sure how to post pictures but if you go https://www.houzz.com/photos/craftsman-home-design-ideas-phbr1-bp~s_2116-white- you will see what style I am referring to, hopefully. It is like craftsman 'on paint'; not necessary a true craftsman.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.houzz.com

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz