Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggiepie11_gw

My mafia boss armoire

maggiepie11
10 years ago

we're building as some of you might know, and against good sound advice, we did away with the closet we had planned in our home office to allow more flexibility in furniture layout, and because i found this monstrosity of an armoire on craigslist and knew i had to have it. it's 4 ft wide and over 7 ft tall and about 2 ft deep.

what's funny is it's not at all my taste. it's gigantic and ornate and tacky, and when i got it, it had a dated 90s antique/glaze finish.

i had a vision for him, and as crazy as everyone thought i was, i decided he needed to be metallic gold. and while i wanted to cry during a couple phases of the project, i'm super happy with him in the end.

i'm sure this piece is not for everyone. i expect some will love it and others will hate it, so brace yourself for the reveal, and kindly keep it to yourself if you hate it because it's finished now and going in my new home. :)

BEFORE: (sorry i don't have any assembled photos of it - we took it apart to get it home and never reassembled)

STEP 1: GOLD SPRAY PAINT - looks like an oscar. yup, i was scared at this point as it looks fit for a mobster's dining room!

STEP 2: BLACK METALLIC GLAZE - better, but now i'm not liking the greenish undertones of the gold.

STEP 3: COPPER PENNY GLAZE - i don't have any photos, but it was very subtle. not enough.

STEP 4: Antique Gold Rub 'n' Buff. This put the finishing touch on it. It brought the rosy tone back to the gold and the swirls in the wax gave me the patina i was hoping for. that's a lot of swirls with an index finger to cover this beast.

Sorry - I don't have any photos with the doors on. Each door takes like 8 hinges, each with 4 screws, so I didn't go through the effort since we'll be moving soon and aren't using this piece in the meantime. and I didn't take any photos of the hardware either! oops!

I think he's going to look amazing against the navy blue walls in...

Comments (29)

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I got scared too until I saw the last three photos! You go girl - bold and makes a statement that's for sure. You can get a little idea of the gold with blue walls in the 8th.pic with the blue fabric nearby.

You did an excellent job of painting and finishing.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    10 years ago

It looks like it's made of gold! Pretty sure solid gold is always in style ;-) OOAK for sure!

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks!

by the way, this is the mood board for the office.

• emilymch
    10 years ago

I love it! It's not my usual style, but one thing I believe in firmly - have FUN with your decor! And if that's not fun, I don't know what is! And good for you for having the vision and putting in the work to transform it. Please share pics when it gets to it's new home!

• bbstx
    10 years ago

You are a woman with vision, or guts, or visionary guts! You go girl!

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

Well! Pick my jaw up off the floor! That is BEAUTIFUL!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

What a fun office you will have! Sure wish I had your creativity!

• merrygardener
    10 years ago

Now you have a place to store your gold bars! I like how it marries fru fru and function!

• Laurie
    10 years ago

That's amazing. I can't wait to see the office when it's complete!

• kam76
    10 years ago

Shut the front door!!!!! That thing is amazingly awesome!!!

What are you going to put in it. love it love it love it. How many tubes of rub and buff did you use holy cow.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Wow! That looks terrific!

Did you put a sealer/varnish on it at all?

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Be still my beating heart! That is phenomenal! You've just possibly inspired me to do something ridiculously nutty-I have Guido-an underling to your armoire. He could be just as fab, I'm thinking.

My MB has an antique gold ceiling-the walls are a bluish gray-I'm thinking Guido could pull off such a look. Oh, if only I had the time to do it...

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Awesome! How many cans of spray paint did it take? What prepping did you do? Priming? Number of coats?

• romy718
    10 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait to see it with doors & hardware. I was thinking of refinishing a little box that fits our remote controls & felt intimidated. You may have inspired me!

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pesky, we must make time for the fun things! do it. do it!!

oh, good points linelle!

i used 6 full cans of spray paint. and it was rustoleum bright gold. i did one full coat, and then a light second coat. i invested the $6 in the easy trigger that fits over the top of the spray can so that i retained use of my index finger for the rest of my life. :)

i was in such a hurry to start that i entirely forgot to prime. and i've been using a lot of homemade chalk paint lately that i didn't sand it either. so i was naughty! that said, there are so many layers on this beast that i'm not too worried about it. plus, if it gets a ding, the antique gold rub n buff would touch it up instantly.

so i won't skip priming again - it was an oopsy, but not a huge deal in this case.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Kudos to you for your vision. I think it will look great in the setting you are creating.

It's so interesting how different the golds were! The last one is a really pretty look. Id like to see it on other pieces that are less ... fashion forward!

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

maggiepie11 - Crazy good! Loved the reveal, was horrifed by the initial pictures and wowed by the last. We need a whole house reveal once you move in!

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

Wowza! I would never have had the impulse to purchase that piece, but I love it! You have a great vision - the mood board for your office is fantastic. It's bold and fresh. I cannot wait to see more. Is in my imagination or do you already own the settee? I feel like I have seen it on here already. Do you have the writing desk and chair selected? I would love to know what they are....

• dedtired
    10 years ago

You are one courageous woman. It looks astounding. I never could have envisioned that. Love all your colors.

• theclose
    10 years ago

Wow!! I LOVE it! It looks great and it will look phenom in your office. Love the navy walls too! Can't wait to see it fininshed.

Reminds me of my horse head lamp. Love it, can't imagine my bedroom without it. Kitschy, a little bit crazy but fun!!

• violetwest
    10 years ago

wow! lotta work, but paid off in the end

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

marina, yes - here's my settee that i posted back in december.

mamorella - everyone needs a little crazy. :)

and we don't "have" our desks yet, because we're going to build ourselves using the ikea L-shape steel frame to rest our wood tops on. the legs will be white, and the top will be stained (i think) unless it feels too dark in there, in which case i'd do the whole thing white.

i have our chairs stripped down to foam and the bases painted white already. just haven't made it out to buy the fabric yet. was going to be doux cotton velvet in lime, but the sample didn't hold up well, so we've switched to a limey/apple green leather.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I love it! I don't have room for anything this size, but I love the process you used which could be applied to stuff like picture frames.

What kind of glaze did you use? How did you apply it?

What I really like is the texture/tone of the large flat surfaces.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

That is so...crazy...wild...outlandish...over-the-top...Sun King-King Tut-worthy...wacko...marvelous...wonderful...inspired...fun...perfect!

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

Maggie, that is SO FUN! You have a great vision of how you want your home to be. I am envious.

Beth P

• cooperbailey
    10 years ago

That is the just about the best finish I have seen on one of those ornate armoires and it will be outstanding against the navy walls.
    I think your mood board is fresh and fun!

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Agree with others that your choice of gold for that piece is "awesome, gorgeous, terrific, amazing, beautiful, phenomenal, inspiring", and also very courageous! You are to commended for your vision as probably most people would either have passed it by or painted it white!

• melsouth
    10 years ago

Fun is the word - you'll have fun working in that office!
    Your vision and your execution are enviable.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I really liked it and watching the finish develop, but LOVED when I read navy walls. Can't wait to see the finished room. My kind of fun!