Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

MBR French doors open in or open out?

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

I am ordering these doors tomorrow. I thought they should open out, onto the deck, even though that is a maintenance PITA. I just thought it would look so much better ...

But I saw this photo ... doesn't look bad at all.

WWYD (if aesthetics were the primary consideration)

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 19:52

Comments (18)

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

I think visually they look nice opening in, but for me there are so many functional issues it is hard for me to think around them. Are you using screens? I tend to like screens on the outside, so then doors would open in. If you expect a lot of wind, I would also want doors to open in so they don't blow shut. Very pretty doors, btw.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I don't think maintenance would be an issue either way. I agree that if you will have screens, you will want the doors to open into the room.

• joshuasamah
    10 years ago

It will be beautiful opening out or inward. I believe you are on the coast so you may want to consider what would be best in the high winds of a hurricane. I think that would be opeing out. Having lived through Sandy on the Long Island coast I would recommend opening out to increase resistance to the wind. Just a thought.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx, Marina. I really wasn't sure if we will need screens. But in case we do, I guess opening in is better for the reason you mentioned.

Cyn, My GC says opening in is better for oceanfront location.

Does it impact your opinion if I already have another set of French doors (vintage) opening in to the room, to wit, the ones that adjoin the MBR and MBA below?

{{!gwi}}

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

I have several of them and they all open into the room.
    This place was custom designed and built for us, but I never specified ~ nor was I asked by our (very well-known NM) builder~ which way we wanted them to open. This is just the way they came. Hence, I've always assumed that this is the way they are supposed to open (LOL).
    Lynn

• Sujafr
    10 years ago

I'm not a builder, so these are just my observations--and likely something you're well aware of, but since I think this wasn't said, I thought maybe I should state the obvious.

The hinges for a door are located on the side that they open toward. Thus, your front door generally opens in, and the hinges are also on the inside. This makes the door secure, so that the hinge pins can't be removed from the outside and access gained without a key. There are exterior doors that can open outward, but they require special locking hinge pins so they can not be removed.

If you plan to use a screen door in addition to the solid door, usually the outer screen door swings out while the inner one swings in unless they can adhere to each other and swing as a unit. You might check with adjoining homeowners to see whether the winds or weather make one style more preferable. HTH! As others said, with French doors and a magnificent view, it will be perfect either way.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Is there code on this? I know in FL due to hurricanes, they require exterior doors to open out. In our area, they require them to open in. Go figure.

Another functional issue would be if you are planning on treating the doors at all with sheers...if you are, you might want them to open in to protect the fabric from the weather and sun.

I would think opening out would be more protective of the room, but opening out would mean, if there's heavy snow, you may not be able to get out to the balcony at all, say to shovel it off and/or the lock may get frozen.

But of course I can't answer your question as you asked about aesthetics only, and I'm too functional to separate form from function. But if I try, I would picture myself, like Juliet, grabbing both door handles and pushing them out as I stepped onto the balcony into the summer sun and ocean breeze. (Of course I'd be in some silky floaty negligee...I'd also be taller with long flowing blond hair and a thin, graceful body, and look something like Grace Kelly!)

• eandhl
    10 years ago

I like them opening in. Unless you tend to snow removal they would be closed for the whole season. If it turns to ice on the deck it could last until late spring. We are in NW CT and have ice till the end of April.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

In FL, and similar locations, they open Out, because you don't have to worry about snow, and hurricane winds push them Closed, rather than being able to blow them open.

In snowy climates, a residential door that opens out could trap you in the house after a heavy snowfall. (I suppose a storm door is flimsy enough or the glass could be taken out, theoretically). if it opens onto an open porch or deck, so the preference is Inswinging.

In commercial settings doors open Out to prevent another Cocoanut Grove disaster.

• sis3
    10 years ago

If you find you need screens please consider Phantom Screens. They are unobtrusive when not in use and work perfectly when in use. They work on in-swing and out-swing doors. We have 5 sets and are very happy with them.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

We replaced our two sets of French doors with outswings. I LOVE them. Yes the hinges are on the outside but when I was researching found posts from contractors saying the new type hinge pins that are used now make it virtually impossible to remove them. During a hurricane outswing is preferable as it is virtually impossible for an out swing door to be blown inwards.

There is a post somewhere here on Gardenweb that addresses the safety concerns of the outswings. After reading everything I could about them I knew outswing was the way to go (for us). I also LOVE that it doesn't take away any interior space and we can place furniture right at the doorway with out it being an issue. We have had them for three years now and have never been trapped inside even during heavy snow.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'm reminded of our outhouse...the door is definitely in swing, so no matter how high the snow gets, you can still get in...how clever those colonialists were!!

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I don't think that security is going to be much of an issue on this deck, either. There will be much easier ways to get into the house.

One of the things about doors that open In is that you have to have window treatments either On the doors themselves or that stack completely clear of the doors so they don't get in the way when you want the doors open.

Again it's not an issue here but it is easier to maintain privacy with outswinging doors because you can have sheers closed if the doors are open if the doors swing out, but if the doors swing in the window treatments also have to be open.

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

I have inswing in our MBR. We have a second story deck there also. I intend to have wooden storm/screen doors made that swing out. This is for the 'look' like the picture mtnrd posted. I LOVE to sleep with doors open since sleeping on the 'sleeping porch' when I was a child. I have had frenchdoors opening out and since I've been known to leave them open in the rain and leave casement windows open in the rain also I just can't have them.

• suero
    10 years ago

How deep is the deck? If you have outswing doors, will there be enough room to get around them to close them when you are out on the deck?

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

If the room is large enough that inward opening doors won't impact on furniture placement then I'd have them swing inside. When the doors are open I prefer that they swing 180 degrees so that they frame the opening. If they can only open 90 degrees due to furniture or an interior wall then have them swing outside.

But there are a few other things to consider - does it matter to you if the doors do not match the existing vintage doors? Will the exterior be wood, vinyl, steel and how will that look inside your room? Would it bother you to have the 'dirty' exterior inside your room?

If they open outwards will you need to secure them so that they won't bang against the house or blow shut in a breeze?

I know this is the side that faces the ocean but what direction does it face? Will you get the morning sun? That might make a difference in whether you want window treatments or not.

These are all minor points but they might be important to you.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much, everyone, for your input.

My number one reason for having them swing out was aesthetic; I imagine flinging open the doors to the sun and ocean breeze in just the way Annie describes (Only heck, Annie --- Grace Kelly? Why not Mary Pickford. C'mon, you are dating yourself!).

Security is not at issue and having room on the deck are not issues. I am not sure if I will do W/T; we don't need them for privacy.

At the end of the day, the main reason I decided to stick with the outswing is interior furniture placement flexibility. That, and I was not sure how odd it will look that the exterior doors do not match the vintage passage doors to the MBA.