Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fourkids4us

Suggestions for fabric for dining chair cushion slipcovers?

fourkids4us
11 years ago

On our honeymoon 16 years ago, my husband and I purchased a rosewood dining room set in Hong Kong. On a later trip to Hong Kong, my husband had cushions made for the chairs and due to limited communication and a very small selection, he had to choose the slipcovers on his own, without my input (other than me telling him to find something neutral). We ended up with ivory silk covers that I never liked and eventually, several were stained with red wine among other things.

I've been procrastinating, for no good reason, having new slipcovers made. However, I've decided to make it a priority as the dining room is completely visible on entering our front door. I'd like something that is relatively durable as we have four kids and a cat who hides from the dog by sleeping on the dining chairs. Though we only use the dining room for holidays and when we have adult guests for dinner (maybe 5-8 times year), having something more durable than ivory silk is important to me (I can't complain - for 8 custom cushions and slipcovers, I only paid $100).

Here is the fabric I currently have as panels on the windows, which are paired with chocolate colored bamboo roman shades.

Here is a picture that shows the color of the rosewood and the inset carving (traditional Chinese bird and flower motif). You can actually just see the old cushion slipcover on the left side of this picture.

I do not have a good eye for coordinating fabrics, so appreciate any suggestions as to what might work with what I currently have. I'd like something relatively basic/neutral that would be easy to work with if I ever paint or change the panels with another fabric (walls are currently SW Humble Gold). I have other photos that I can post if necessary but nothing that recent.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (6)