Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sis2two

Experiences with Edgecomb Gray in low light areas vs. southern ex

sis2two
9 years ago

Would love to get some feedback from those of you that have used Edgecomb Gray in your homes. I am considering it for hallways and foyer area which doesn't get a lot of light and for kitchen area which receives southwest light. I want the same color for all of the areas above. Currently Ihave Powell Buff in the kitchen but samples look awful in low light areas and I think I want a neutral that isn't yellow leaning. And if you also have photos, they would be welcome too. Thank you.

Comments (12)

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I have a north facing bedroom. Edgecomb took on a very slight violet cast, not greenish at all for me. A very soft light greige, actually a little more toward the greige side than we wanted (we had been aiming for a light warm grey) but quite pretty.

• lisa_mocha
    9 years ago

I'd sampled edgecomb in a hallway with little light and it turned greenish on me as well. I ended up with Ben Moore White Down...very light neutral color without being yellow. Ben Moore Pale Oak and Balboa Mist are nice, light neutrals also ( I'd consider them griege)

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your input. I love how it looks in pictures too but think I'll try a large sample board to see how it works.

• pps7
    9 years ago

I ended up using BM natural cream which is very, very similar to edgecomb gray. I love it in my low light areas. Halls, stairs, mudroom. In my southern exposure space it turned very yellow/ beige and I have since repaired that space white.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

pps7, your floor in the first photo is gorgeous!!! What wood/stain is it?

• lisa_mocha
    9 years ago

Here is Benjamin Moore White Down in our stairwell with no natural light.
    It's a very light, creamy white that doesn't turn green, but still a contrast to white as you can see from base trim. Perhaps too light for what you're looking for, but is an easy to live with, airy neutral.

• yellowducky
    9 years ago

I actually just painted samples of Edgecomb Gray on several walls of our new build. The rooms all had east/southern light, and it's great. No green. No purple. A very nice blend of beige and gray. It did seem a bit more gray out of direct light, which I actually like. Sorry, I did not try it on a northern lit room, so I can't speak to that.

I've been swimming in paint colors lately to figure out all the rooms of the house, and I will say, this color needs to be sampled on the wall. In our current home, it looked more like a shade of white. But at the new build, it's a warm griege - and just what we were looking for!

Good luck!

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to all who weighed in. The EG didn't work next to my cabinets although I loved it in my foyer area. So I picked up a sample of Clay Beige hoping it will work for both spaces. Just need to see how it looks at different times of the day.

• aslbulk
    7 years ago

Hi - any update on your choice between Edgecomb Gray and Clay Beige? Incidentally - I ended up with these two for my south facing living with low light due to trees in back yard.

• NANCY DODA
    9 months ago

Thanks all. Im about to switch from Paris Rain which is lovely, cooler greay green, to Edgecomb in soth wesr room eith lots of light. Wondering if this color will help me have more versatility in decor. Its a high ceiling, open kitchen design. I have already lots og greens in kitchen and in the furntire?….

• mojavemaria
    9 months ago

The comments about seeing green in Edgecomb Gray are surprising because its not shown that in our house. It’s a nuetral griege that plays well with others looking more beige in good light and more gray in low light where it can show a slight violet cast. We also have green in some furniture and looks good IMO.