Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colorblind1961

HELP!! Brand New Glass Cooktop is Ruined!!

colorblind1961
12 years ago

We recently purchased (about 5 months ago) a new glass top stove. It has a black glass top. I faithfully clean it with the polishing cream that came recommended with the stove every time I use it...cleans up like new every time...even the toughest baked on, crusty messes come clean. Tonight I cooked burgers on the stove and made a very greasy mess...there was a lot of smoke when the grease spattered. Not to worry...I used my trusted polish and it did work as usual, BUT, there looks to be like a white-ish haze where the grease really spattered. I cleaned it again, and still the white, hazy marks are there. They don't feel as smooth as the rest of the top either. Is the glass top ruined??? Can this be remedied with some other type of cleaner?? Did I rub so hard that I rubbed the glass surface off in that spot?? I'm such a clean freak and this is driving me nuts...not to mention that the stove is brand new! Please help!!

Comments (133)

• marialm66
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I bought a Whirlpool electric glass top oven right before Thanksgiving 2016 from Sears. It is now 1/11/2017 and I think the glass top is defective. I was cleaning it everyday for a month but between Christmas and New Years I got a little lazy. I gave it a good cleaning tonight and noticed something horrible. It seems like the glass is flaking. I noticed something really weird a few days ago like a chunk of burnt food but it had shiny specks all over it so I ignored it and threw it away. I only use Weimenns product tough cleaner and either a wet wash cloth, paper towel or microfiber towel. Take a look at my pictures. I will be calling Sears tomorrow. I was able to scrape a piece of the coating off the glass with just my finger nail. It is very late but I am hoping someone responds tomorrow.

• decordummy_gw
    7 years ago

UPDATE I posted here 5 years ago as Sears was delivering my very first glass top the next day. I really wanted a slide-in stove (possibly with induction) but did not want to pay $4000 and find out that I did not like having a glass top. So I bought a cheaper Samsung glass top (not slide-in). We never buy extended warranties, but Sears said if we don't call for service during the warranty period we will get the total amount of the extended warranty back as a gift coupon for Sears. It is now 5 years later, our glass top has held up just fine and we have received the gift coupon. I use only the cleaning products that came with the stove - Ceram Bryte and a small yellow sponge (use the sponge only once in awhile for really tough jobs). Now I kind of wish we had just gone for the slide-in to begin with, except for all these negative reviews.

• marialm66
    7 years ago

Well I called Sears and they are sending someone out Friday, today is Wednesday 1/11/17. I did purchase the 3 year extended warranty when buying the stove. He asked about that so thank goodness I bought it. He said since we aren't sure what's wrong with it he will send someone out as the yearly checkup. I think I know what caused it. My husband makes this hot drink with wine, sugar, cinnamon sticks, cloves and oranges and he spilled some on the stove while making it. Do you think that is what made the stove top start flaking? Hmm before this I had been spending about a half an hour cleaning the stove with Weiman to get it perfect. Oh and I did get a haziness that I could not get off the stove about 3 weeks ago. I don't remember what I did wrong but I think it had to do with a microfiber towel and it wasn't cooled down enough.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

I hope they make it right. I really love my glass top, but it seems I have to clean it every time I cook anything (and I don't fry much or think that I'm particularly messy), so it seems pretty high maintenance. But I am determined to keep it pristine, so I never cook on a burner where something has spilled before I clean it thoroughly. It's possible the acids in his drink mix had some effect if the stove was used before it had been cleaned up. Usually, glass is impervious to that sort of thing, but maybe the combo with high heat could do it.

• marialm66
    7 years ago

ok well I'm dumb. A friend came over and told me it was sugar that had cooked. So, it was the drink my husband made on the top stove. Now I need to get it off of there!

• Olychick
    7 years ago

my first glass top stove had some light colored speckles (the way the glass was made) and I don't recall ever using a razor blade to clean it. My newer one is all black and I bought a straight edge razor thingy to use to clean it. You have to be really careful, but just one little swipe holding at maybe a 15 degree angle, just scrapes all that kind of stuff off. I do it regularly now, as a matter of course, on any little thing that doesn't come off with the cream and a scrubby sponge. So I'd get one of those and suspect it will take the sugar right off.

• marialm66
    7 years ago

I bought a whirlpool cleaning kit. It included the cream, sponges, razor, and some protectant. The razor is what worked on the cooked sugar. I was pretty happy. I have a hazy mark as i mentioned in an ealier post but. I might try vinegar and the whirlpool cleaning cream. I thought i read here that nothing will help the hazingit but ill give the it a try.

• vvmtx4691
    7 years ago

I purchased this a week ago...used it maybe 3 times. Cleaned with Ceramabryte with Weimar ceramic pad after boiling water to make bouillon. No abuse...now has 3 significant areas where the top layer is scraped off. Best Buy will let us exchange or replace for something else. We are a family that cooks all the time using multiple burners at once. I shouldn't have to treat my stove like an accessory. Has anyone traded for something else that is similar and performs better?

• Olychick
    7 years ago

what did you boil the water in? I cook a great deal, too, and prefer this over a coil electric, but it's high maintenance. Every single time I cook anything, I have to clean the top, it seems to keep it nice and not cook an itty bitty something onto the surface. And I don't seem to be able to just wipe it, I always have to use cleaner to get it looking new again. Maybe induction would be better for you?

• vvmtx4691
    7 years ago

I used Calphalon Tri-ply stainless steel small pot.I don't mind cleaning. But now I don't even trust my young adult children to use the stovetop.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

I know. I am the only one using mine and it still has gotten a few scratches, even tho I am super careful.

• lizza12003
    6 years ago

I wish I never purchased a glass top cooking stove it's a pain I've had mine two weeks and already one burner area is marked up and I can't get it clean totally regret it

• lorraineg570
    6 years ago

Ron Cori, did you ever find a solution? I've got similar spots magically appearing on my 9 month old whirlpool top. I'm ridiculously cautious and no one cooks on it but me.

• Turbo Cat (7a)
    6 years ago

I bought a new whirlpool black ceramic top stove within the last month, and I have 12 mystery spots (tiny drop like spots) on a back burner that won't come off with the special cleaners and scrubbing tools from whirlpool, nor with vinegar, nor with the razor scraper. Nothing. I can't feel the spots. I don't even cook on that burner!

• Mark Said
    6 years ago

thank you a thousand times .. I thought the white haze would never come off of my 17 year old cook top ...I used bar keepers friend on it yesterday and it is back to its beautiful shiny black !!!!!!!!

• debbie403
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I am just sick. I have a Whirlpool glass cooktop stove since 2000 when I remodeled the kitchen. It still looks like new and I love cooking on it. On Thanksgiving a spice jar fell out of the cabinent next to the stove and hit the glass top so that it caused a zig zag crack from front to back across the 2 left burners. It is a white stove but the glass top is a grayish background with black speckles and the burners are black with grayish speckles. It is very nice to look at. When the burners are on there is an orange steak across the burner. Whirlpool rep said I could continue to cook on it and that the cooktop was discontinued so I am on the hunt for a replacement like it. They told me the replacement part number is 8053541 but the few that have pictures don't look like mine, so not sure I have the correct number. I should probably post a picture here. Any help would be appreciated.

• kimberly_jsater
    6 years ago

Same with me everything you said what did you do about glass stove top I only have electric in my house

• Ruthann Garden
    5 years ago

Made corn beef and cabbage in a large pot now I have white on my blacktop stove one burner only help

• Olychick
    5 years ago

Try all the things posted above for cleaning it. Was your pot aluminum? I ruined a former glass top stove of mine by using an aluminum steam canner on it -it would never come clean. Nothing was burned on or spilled over, it was just the aluminum and being oversized, I believe. I bought a single burner hotplate to can on now and I don't use aluminum pans for anything else.

• HU-8319449
    5 years ago

The same thing has happened to us with a 5 month old LG black glass top stove. LG said it's cosmetic and won't do anything. We are super careful using all brand new pots purchased at the time the stove was new to avoid this issue. I used a pot to cook and randomly there was a white circle left on the black glass after. No clue why as it didn't boil over or spatter or anything. I am sick about this after spending a fair amount to upgrade our kitchen. Now 3/4 burners have white marks on them. I diligently scour the bottom of the pots as well trying to keep them clean and prevent further damage. We always use the recommended cleaner and I've tried every trick on the internet to clean the marks without success. We'll keep after them but it's difficult as they send a technician from a random local repair shop to 'take a look' for them and report their findings. Nobody from LG actually comes, just a middle man. I'm exhausted from babying this cooktop and dislike cooking now because of it.

• dan auditore
    5 years ago

I wanted to ask if you all have a fix for cloudy/hazy stovetop glass? I have tried buffing on barkeepers friend, weimans heavy duty glass cleaner and cerama bryte with no luck. [please excuse the flash]

• dmt4555
    5 years ago
    Got a new glass top and started using it. After every meal I spent more time cleaning it up afterwards then I did on meal. After about 6 months, I had my hubby make me a butcher block the size of cooktop and put feet on it to set above the cooktop and bought a double burner plug in appliance. It works great and no cleanup! Never have to replace my 900.00 stovetop, just 50 hotplate.
  • sissyboyfloyd
    5 years ago

Wow! Just got sick to my stomach after grabbing wet sponge to get something quickly off my 1 week old stove/glass top (Samsung). Left 2" circular rough mark in glass, like the glass had dissolved something of sponge into it. Tried usual cleaners plus vinegar. Nothing phased it. After reading all comments here, I grabbed a razor blade. It slowly scraped off the disfigurement. Got lucky this time. Will never again rush to clean or remove anything from it when hot, the opposite of my old ranges. Will wait for the red 'still warm' warning light to go off from now on. And no more sponges. Who knows what's in them.

• momof07
    4 years ago

I just got my new Whirlpool glass top range delivered on Wednesday, it is now Friday. My husband heated up some clam chowder on one of the burners at lunchtime today and it splattered everywhere. In my eagerness to keep my new range top spotless I grabbed my wet dishcloth and started scrubbing while the burner was still hot. There was lots of steam and I soon noticed that it had left a cloudy white mess on the black burner. It was a hand crocheted dishcloth I had made out of kitchen cotton yarn specifically for dishcloths. But it had melted the cotton fibers onto the burner. No attempt by me with other cloths using Dawn dish soap, or even with windex and paper towels worked either. After looking it up on line and finding this thread of comments I noticed that someone else had done the same thing on a hot burner, and they waited until it cooled completely and then used a razor blade to gently scrape off the cloud and it worked!!!! I kept spraying windex and scaping with the razor and wiping with the paper towel until it was all off! Presto...... my 3 day old stove is back to new!

• Sully Roca
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

We just purchased a new Samsung glass stove on April 5th I just used it today and my stove is already scratched up I call Samsung they said they were gonna send a technician to take a look at it but they believe that it might have been caused by pots. I use brand new pots on the stove top I've tried everything to get these scratches all around inside the rim off and it's not coming off let's see what they say. I have seen numerous comments on the same situation with these counter glass top stove from Samsung not happy at all with the product..

• decordummy_gw
    4 years ago

We have Samsung stove, fridge, microwave, & TVs. Our Samsung stove is 6 years old and convection no longer works :-(

I guess the next stove won't match the fridge & microwave.

• Amanda NElson
    4 years ago

dawn dish soap

• HU-819258987
    4 years ago

i am in the market to buy a new stove; I have an older ceramic cooktop and I spend a lot of time cleaning it, but over the years the haze came on and never left despite vinegar, erasers etc ... I am glad I read these comments ... seems nothing has changed. If I spent so much time prepping myself instead I think I would look a diva! So enough with this diva cooktop ... it’s gas for me!

• jojo100
    3 years ago

I bought a new Bosch Induction cooktop in 2013 with the black glass top and had it for 4 years that I lived there afterwards and never had an issue. I always cooked with All-Clad tri ply stainless steel pots, Le Creuset cookware or cast iron pans and my cooktop looked brand new the whole time. I would wipe anything that spilled onto it with a damp dishrag and it would clean right up. So sorry to hear that so many of you are having issues with your glass cooktops.
    I plan on buying a Bosch Induction Range and hope I don’t have any issues with that glass cooktop.
    Could it be that the high heat that an electric range creates is causing most of these issues? Being that my cooktop was induction it never got really hot, just warm from the food, which did not cause any of these changes.

• decordummy_gw
    3 years ago

UPDATE Previously I posted that the convection no longer worked on our Samsung oven Last summer the control panel at the back of the stove blew up & caught on fire. The stove about 8 and a half years old, was no longer under warranty and the store where we bought it (Sears) is out of business. After many months of back & forth emails, texts, phone calls, Samsung offered to come & take away the stove and give us $250.. We took their offer as we would have had to pay to take it to the dump. (I know the original post is very old but it does come up when users are searching for info about cooktops & stoves).

• Viktorija Jovanoska
    3 years ago

It was hot and i've put on it spray degrass.. And apear white spots with nothing I can't clean..... Hellp 😭😭

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

It's toast.

• Olychick
    3 years ago

If glass stove top creme cleaner doesn't take them out, I have to agree with Joseph. I might try to gently remove some of it with a magic eraser, if all else fails, but they are not recommended for glass.

• Geri Carlson
    3 years ago

Buying Samsung appliances was the worst mistake we could have made when remodeling our kitchen. Repairs were 3 times for the dishwasher, 3 times for the refrigerator and 3 times for the stove/oven. They are now out of warranty (6 months) and just paid the repairman again. The next place these appliances are going is THE DUMP!

• HU-329772391
    3 years ago

Everything you read is going to tell you to not use SOS pads on your glass cooktop but I'm here to tell you IT WORKS. Rub it ever so gently over the burner and you won't believe the difference it makes. It does NOT scratch if you are gentle. Marks on my brand new Kitchenaid stove that I couldn't get out any other way came right up. I was just SICK about it thinking my new, very expensive stove was ruined. A friend strongly urged me to use the SOS pad and I was shocked. I thought the marks were on the inside, that's how smooth it felt.

• Ron Cori
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

If you drop and burn a sugary product on it, it's done.

• lorraineg570
    3 years ago

Surgery product? What the heck are you doing in your kitchen????

• maire_cate
    3 years ago

Perhaps it's a typo and he meant sugary - I have heard that burnt on sugar can be hard to remove.

On the other hand if one were to drop a cranial drill on it - that would also suffice to do it in.

• Ron Cori
    3 years ago

Lorraineg570 Haha...damned spell check.

• Kate
    3 years ago

I have black glass induction top and use Barkeepers Friend once in a while for spots and it works great. I’ve had it for 5 years and no problems.

• Ron Cori
    3 years ago

BarKeepers is good on most spots, but don't drop anything sugary. There is no fix.

• Esther Lane
    2 years ago

You mean anything containing sugar like cake batter???

• Esther Lane
    2 years ago

I have a brand new Frigidaire and my granddaughter was cooking funnel cake and something got on the top and wasn’t wiped up. Now it looks pitted.. 😞help!

• HU-455772755
    2 years ago

I as well have a new Frigidaire glass stove top. Cleaned it while it was hot, lesson learned. I came here and figured I would give the razor a try with vinegar it worked quite well.

• HU-496055979
    2 years ago

My glass top stove is only a week old and I have been super careful cleaning it every time. Today I accidently brushed a microtowel across while it was still hot and it burnt on and I have tried everything but it is not coming off.

• lorraineg570
    2 years ago

Razor blade

• JENNIFER GRELL
    11 months ago

SameSomething here i will never get a samsung stove e again 2 days

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994