Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minty88

Instead of buying Privacy Film for windows

minty88
11 years ago

I thought I would pass on something I tried that I found on the web.

I have this arched window that I would like to cover but still let the light in. I tried the film you can put on. But that was a pain. It kept falling off and it was hard to cut it to the correct shape of the window.

So I tried a mixture of cornstarch and water. The directions said to use a white sheet. I didn't have one and didn't feel like buying a sheet just to try this out. But I did have an old single sheet with flowers on it. I thought why not. If I don't like it, I can just wet it and take it down. So I am attaching the results. I decided to do the whole window. The cornstarch is much more forgiving than the film. The film you must keep on the glass or it will not stick. The material with cornstarch can even go onto the window frame and it will still stick. Plus it's much easier to get the bubbles out of material.

This was so cheap - $1 for cornstarch and the sheet costs nothing : )

I'm sure I will get sick of the flowers but by then I can find a cheap white sheet (craigs list) to replace them with.
But I love how bright my bathroom is now during the day. No more closing the blinds.

Comments (19)

• EG3d
    11 years ago

Very pretty! Nice looking window covering.

• stacieann63
    11 years ago

I love it! It looks great. Fantastic job!

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

Good to know!

• judithn
    11 years ago

Love it! May try it on one of my windows. What is the ratio of cornstarch to water?

• flymom65
    11 years ago

Yes, what ratio please?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Good to know...thx!

• minty88
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I used two tablespoons of cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup of water, and then added it to 2 cups of boiling water. I will warn you it is a bit messy when applying it and hanging it. But I found putting a big old towel to catch the drippings helped a lot. Kind of reminds me of putting up wallpaper but easier.

Here is the link to where I found it (scroll about 1/4 down the page to where he tells how to do it):
    http://manhattan-nest.com/2010/06/01/the-doors/

• minty88
    Original Author
    11 years ago

BTW in his instructions he says once the fabric was on the glass he pasted the front of the fabric too. I didn't bother with that and it has stayed up just fine. I just pasted the side facing the glass.

• anitamo
    11 years ago

What a great idea! I may have to try that on my back door. Thanks for the link, too.

• chispa
    11 years ago

A few years back we had a poster who "wallpapered" several bedrooms using the fabric and starch method. The rooms looked great.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    11 years ago

Looks great!

I think I might do 3 basement windows.

• arcy_gw
    11 years ago

I am curious as to what happens when moisture builds up on the window? You said this was a bathroom--a very likely place for moisture build up. How long have you had it up? Good to hear it is staying put. Winters are tough to get the moisture in a home just right, so this could be an issue for many.

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

The white sheet would make it look like a shoji screen. What a neat idea.

• minty88
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Arcy, I just put them up last week. But from the comments I read on the other website, they should stay up as long as you are not getting water on them. But even if they did come down, I could just throw some more cornstarch paste on them.

Chemocurl, good idea to do the basement windows. Right now I have the stick up paper shades in my basement. I may try white sheets. That would be much neater looking.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I imagine it would be really pretty with embroidered sheer panels or other fabrics with texture. If you wanted to do say just the lower half, you could use an eyelet fabric with a border, with the border facing up...

• sameboat
    11 years ago

How clever! I saw something like this on the Nate Berkus show last year. I think it was a show about decorating an apartment when you cannot paint it because you are renting. If I remember correctly he used a printed sheet on a wall an it looked just like wallpaper! Would be cute for a dorm room, too.

• sameboat
    11 years ago

Here is the clip!

Here is a link that might be useful: Nate Berkus Show Clip

• gmp3
    11 years ago

Great idea!

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

That really looks nice, what a great idea.