Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rpfields_gw

What is the best seating layout for a 13x20 family room

rpfields
10 years ago

Hello. We have a 13x20 family room and will be buying new seating for the room. I'd like to have as much seating as possible but don't know what the best furniture configuration is for this space. As you can see by the pictures, we currently have two couches and have placed one on an angle (it used to be perpendicular to the other couch). I'm completely open to ideas. Any help as far as how to layout the seating, while maximizing the number of seats, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (4)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I would move the TV to next to the fireplace or in a corner. I'd then use a sofa along the long wall and 2 separate chairs facing the fireplace so the TV can be seen from all yet still offer a conversational grouping if the TV is off.

• teacats
    10 years ago

First -- try to remove all of the bookcases in the room -- to open up every inch of possible seating areas.

Next -- measure carefully -- and find a sectional that can fill in most of the main wall across from the TV and floor space (basically the new sectional will fill in the space where the two sofas now sit)

BUT -- add a pair of swivel armchairs on each side of the fireplace -- choose a style with clean lines that can fit right into each corner.

Add standing lamps by each corner of the new sectional.

Add a round ottoman.

• sis2two
    10 years ago

Our room is 14x21 and this is what we did. We put our television over our fireplace(said I'd never do it, but LOVE it and it doesn't compete with the fireplace). On our long wall we placed our sofa and directly across from our sofa we placed two chairs with a table between them. One of the chairs is a leather recliner and the other chair swivels so that television viewing isn't problematic. With our room being narrow, it's the only way we can position furniture successfully.

• theresa2
    10 years ago

I have a room almost exactly like yours. I have your patio doors and your center fireplace with bookcases (my bookcases are built-in). I have a large sofa on the wall where your current sofa is. A second, apartment size sofa, is perpendicular to the first sofa and parallel to the fireplace. It sits a little farther back from the first sofa and the fireplace so that there is enough separation between the sofas to walk in-between them. The apartment size sofa has a rectangular coffee table in front of it. And the full size sofa gets a shallow-depth end table to open up the walk between the sofas. Our TV is on the wall where your current TV is, but it is mounted on an articulating arm for better viewing. I did not want the TV to be above the FP because it would be difficult to view from one end of the larger couch and everyone on that couch would have to look sideways. A comfy chair with matching ottoman shares the same corner as the TV. You cannot view the TV from that chair, but the ottoman can be moved elsewhere in the room when needed.