Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
springroz

Kitchen window help, please

springroz
9 years ago

The kitchen puzzle pieces are falling into place!

I dug the light fixture off the floor in a back corner of a little junk shop. DH hung it for me, and, IMO, it could not be more perfect.

I chose this fabric for the windows, which I do not want to cover, but only soften and accent. My thought is to make some roman blind type treatment that fits in between the brackets in the moulding, but they are a little off in the spacing on the sides.

Any other suggestions are welcome! What do you all think?

Thanks!

Comments (27)

• springroz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a closer view of the trim and fabric.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I wouldn't put anything on the windows. What if you put some pretty wallpaper in that space where you've got the fabric swatch?

LOVE the light fixture. And soooo jealous! I LOVE wood kitchen counters. Your kitchen is beautiful.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sat, Jan 10, 15 at 19:45

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

The fabric you chose is very pretty! Instead if going between the little corbels, I would do something solid, cabinet to cabinet.

• springroz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just "pinch" the fabric in little gathers under each corbel?

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

How about a valance with a scallop on the bottom for interest and to mimic the scallop on the glass in your light fixture....which is really great...what a find!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Pretty fabric. I'd go cabinet to cabinet, mounted at the bottom of the molding and cover the woodwork at the top of the window, esp as the print on the fabric is so large. I don't like rods mounted on the molding itself.

I'd consider doing a balloon valance for softness if the fabric has a good hand for that.

Or, depending on how fussy you want to get, I can see making a flat solid valance out of a coordinating solid, like the soft blue or the brown color, and then over top, putting a "banner" made of the medallion in your fabric, one centered over each window. I did something similar in one of our bedrooms. The gold background is a solid, ungathered valance. Then I cut the striped fabric, used a glue gun to hem it and trim it and then placed them over top with the spacing I wanted and the height I wanted. I did mine with a slight V on the bottom, but you can make yours any shape you want.

• springroz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, great idea!! We were playing with the fabric last night, and centering the medallions over the windows in a solid panel is going to require a LOT of piecing!

The store has plenty of this fabric, and it is cheap, but she got it on close out, so there are no coordinates.

Joaniepoanie, thanks! I agree that the bottom should not be straight. I had envisioned 3 roman shades, fastened between the corbels, but they are a little bit irregular in placement, and do not line up with the window...I never noticed before, but can't be drawing attention to it !!

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

I LOVE your fabric choice and would second a valance hung under the corbels, with a slight scallop that hits just below the top window frame. I wonder if those skinny tension rods come that long. It looks like it would be the perfect hardware, totally hidden when the valance up properly arranged.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I can't help with window treatments since I'm hopeless in that area. Just had to comment that I love your antique fixture, wood counters, and farm sink. All things I want to have in my dream kitchen. Well done!

• springroz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, jlc!

Arcy, the lady at the store thought they were available, that was her recommendation, too.

I am going to the fabric store tomorrow to see if they have a solid that goes with the print.

They have a really pretty sample in the showroom that has a big welting and lining done in a check that coordinates with the outside fabric. I'll snap a picture of it. I wish they had a coordinate for this.....I will try to get the name, maybe I can find a coordinate online.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I feel like I wasn't clear in my description, so I'll give it another shot as I think it would be perfect for your window, esp with that fabric. It does not require a lot of piecing. In fact, it would require very little fabric. Just from the swatch you posted, it looks like you can get 2 full medallions out of one width, and you'd only need enough for the 3rd medallion.

If you look at the bedroom valance I posted above, there is one flat valance in the gold background that goes from edge to edge of the window...no gathering or anything. Just side hems, a top pocket and a bottom hem.

Then I cut the navy striped fabric into banners. On that window there are 3 of them. On the other window, there are 5 of them...but you can see the flat gold valance underneath and you can see the striped fabric in the side panels that I used to make the banners.

You can cut the banners in whatever shape and width you want, but leave enough space for the background valance to show. Glue gun the hems in place and you're done. I actually cheated on mine...they're not even sewn into place but just pinned up there. It was far easier to make sure they were spaced properly and hanging straight than it would be to sew them. So with me on the ladder and DH saying a little to the right or left, we got it done. Easy Peasy.

As far as getting a coordinating fabric, it doesn't have to match perfectly, it just has to go. There are enough colors in there that that should not be a problem.

If you don't like the look, that's fine. But I just don't want you rejecting it because it isn't what you think it is.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Some other ideas for a fabric with the large medallion...
    Here they used box pleats.

{{gwi:2139517}}

[Rustic Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/rustic-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2111) by Westfield Interior Designers & Decorators Kingsley Belcher Knauss, ASID

Here they also did box pleats, but in such a way that the pattern lines up exactly

{{gwi:2139518}}

[Traditional Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2107) by Villanova Architects & Building Designers Priscilla Fenlin Interiors

Here's a much facier version setting off the print with shape and trim

{{gwi:2139519}}

[Traditional Powder Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-powder-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_713~s_2107) by Oakton Interior Designers & Decorators A.HICKMAN Design

• springroz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like the version YOU did best, Annie! The medallions fall so close together that to make a solid valance would wind up being a patchwork quilt!

I love fringe....so that powder room with the fancy cafe curtain really appeals to me, what an inspiration! I don't think it shows in the photo, but this fabric has a small ribbon appliqué outlining the cream of the medallion.

I certainly appreciate all the ideas, and will post when I get back from the store!

• springroz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We (the third girl I have dealt with at the fabric store and me) have decided to use 5 medallion pieces, cut in 20" pieces( since I have 100"), and do 3 inverted pleats, using a solid fabric in the pleats. The bottom will be scalloped around the medallions. The solid fabric is a lining fabric, and matches the little ribbon embellishment.

This decision means I cannot do the sewing, so it will be done by their workroom. It quadrupled the cost of the project, but I think it will be worth it, since I don't think they will finish the project when I get to the point of killing myself out of frustration, lol!!

I will post the finished picture!!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Congrats on making a decision. I hope you love it!

Can't wait to see it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Cool! I'll be anxious to see the results!

• springroz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Stop the press!!

I got the measuring tape out......duh. Unless she can make the outside panels slightly larger, I cannot do the 5 scallops. It will look totally amateur if the pieces don't line up with the windows. I may be back to3 with a pleat at each end to fill in.

I may have to have them come out to measure.....arggghh.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Yeah, I was thinking 5 would be too much, but you had the measurements. I think 3 would look nice to line one up with each window....not with the corbels in the molding. Nobody says the pleats have to butt up to each other...you can just have them make it with more of the solid fabric from underneath showing by spacing the pleats further apart..it will still look great.

• Springroz
    9 years ago

The valance is finished!! I will take some pictures as soon as it is up!

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

I know that fabric.. calico used to have it in their Iman collection iirc? It has ribbon on it? So pretty.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Wow, that light fixture is amazing! Also, from what I can see, sois your island. Is it a table?

• Springroz
    9 years ago

Yes, Mtn, that IS it!! I got it a local shop, but she said they got it on a closeout somewhere.....it was a whopping $12.99 a yard!

Nosoccermom, thanks! Yes, the island is a table. Like the light fixture, which was on the floor in a shop, the table was covered in candy and potpourri at a shop back in Texas, and I had to have it. I will get a better picture of it after my sleigh ride!

Here it is.....

It was hard to get picture with the snow.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Oh, man, road trip ... to Texas? So jealous.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

It looks beautiful! Oh, I so love your kitchen...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

That came out terrific! Congrats!

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

Thank you for returning with the final look. Can you tell us how you made it?

• Springroz
    9 years ago

Did you all see my last picture?? Where did it GO?

Emmarene, I had the workroom at the fabric store do it, so it has nice piping around the edge, and is finished in less than a YEAR, lol! The fabric was so inexpensive and complicated that I had them do it for me. I sew, but mostly straight (or not so straight) lines!

Posting the last picture.....which seems to have disappeared. Forgive me if it shows up again!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!