Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikki_lynn_gw

Okay everyone, I need help decorating!!!

Nikki_Lynn
10 years ago

I've been trying to re-do my living room for quite some time now, but it just doesn't come natural to me. I could really use some help, any kind of help! Seriously, any opinion is welcome :) Thanks in advance.

P.S - pardon the baby and the swing, they have to stay ;) hehe

Comments (25)

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Maybe try balancing the room, with another baby and swing on the right. :)

Are you looking to replace any furniture or just accessorize and/or rearrange? I'm assuming there is a TV to the left.

• camlan
    10 years ago

First, we need to know what you want to change. So, some questions.

Who uses this room? What do they do in this room--watch tv, read, crafts, eat, play video games, sit and chat, sit and have a cup of tea, play board games, build blanket forts, create Lego worlds, surf the web, something else?

Does the room support all the activities you want to use it for? Are there convenient tables for drinks and snacks? Is there a storage place for the kids' toys? Can you always find the remote for the tv? Is there a good reading/knitting light? What works in the room and what doesn't work? That will tell you the infrastructure that needs to be changed.

Then, the appearance of the room. Does it look the way you want it to? Do you want it to be more colorful, more organized, more playful, more grown-up? Do you like the wall color? Do you like the furniture that's there now? What do you want to keep, besides the baby!, and what do you want to replace/add?

How deep are your windowsills? They look fairly deep in this picture and I'm wondering if you want to do something to highlight them. Do you want window treatments or to leave them uncovered?

What's your overall decorating style? Does this room fit with that, or would you like to change it?

Sorry for the ton of questions. But we can offer all sorts of suggestions and they might not fit your plans. Knowing a bit about what you want to change will give us the opportunity to address what's really bothering you about the room.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

If I were professionally advising you on this room, I would mention the following:

-The rug is sized too small for this room
    -The sofa and loveseat are sized too large for this room.
    -The coffee & end tables are dwarfed by the scale of the sofa and loveseat.
    -There are not enough light sources in the room to make it warm and interesting.
    -The furniture layout for the room works well.
    -There is a general lack of interesting texture and color in the room, though I am not suggesting suddenly painting the walls colors. I would keep any color changes confined to the furnishings & accessories.
    -The cascading ivies on the fireplace are dated, and the picture mounted above doesn't appear to add any special ambiance to the room considering the fireplace is the focal point of the room.
    -If there is a TV at the left side of the room, that baby is far to close to the TV's electrical field for its own good.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I can't figure out what is behind the love seat, whether it's an optical illusion or what. You can't see all of the door, as if it's further away, but it seems like a flat plane. Also there's either a reflection as if it's a shiny surface.

• Nikki_Lynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I'm not too sure on how to post more than one picture to one post, so here we go! Lots of comments :) Thanks everyone so much

This is what it feels like to enter the room. The door on the opposite side walks into the laundry room.

• Nikki_Lynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And then upon entering the room, turn to your right and you will see this.

• Nikki_Lynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And look to your left :)

• Nikki_Lynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And the view from the laundry room.

• Nikki_Lynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Standing in front of the TV

• Nikki_Lynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last one! Coming down the stairs

• vera11
    10 years ago

agree with all of beverlys post, especially the sofa and loveseat are sized too large for this room. would look for a new sofa (craigs list has tons, and ikeas new stockholm sofa is great) that is smaller in scale,.no matching loveseat please.
    that change alone would make the room look much larger.

• Nikki_Lynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And now to answer some questions.

Who uses this room? What do they do in this room--watch tv, read, crafts, eat, play video games, sit and chat, sit and have a cup of tea, play board games, build blanket forts, create Lego worlds, surf the web, something else?

*****No, I think you pretty much covered everything and more! lol*******

Does the room support all the activities you want to use it for? Are there convenient tables for drinks and snacks? Is there a storage place for the kids' toys? Can you always find the remote for the tv? Is there a good reading/knitting light? What works in the room and what doesn't work? That will tell you the infrastructure that needs to be changed.

*********We're all about comfort in this home, so we've managed to make everything work pretty well, which is why the decor is lacking ************

Then, the appearance of the room. Does it look the way you want it to? Do you want it to be more colorful, more organized, more playful, more grown-up? Do you like the wall color? Do you like the furniture that's there now? What do you want to keep, besides the baby!, and what do you want to replace/add?

*************No, it doesn't quite look how I want it too. We arent able to change the furniture at the time, simply because we don't have the money for it. I'm just looking for it to be more of a theme. For example, the rug doesn't match the picture, the picture doesn't match the clock and so on. I just want everything matching and can't seem to find anything! *******************

How deep are your windowsills? They look fairly deep in this picture and I'm wondering if you want to do something to highlight them. Do you want window treatments or to leave them uncovered?

***********I wouldn't mind window coverings, just don't know what to do with them! They are very deep. 10.5" **************

What's your overall decorating style? Does this room fit with that, or would you like to change it?

************I like blues and oranges, and i'm definitely looking to change it... but it also has to match the slate. *********

• erinsean
    10 years ago

Are those reclining couches? So comfy for watching TV and holding a baby. I think your room looks good. I can only suggest a larger rug, a floor lamp behind/beside the light recliner in the corner and sheer curtains for the windows. Oh yes, I would take the plants off the fireplace and put a big tall tree/plant where the big urn is.

• madeyna
    10 years ago

The sharp corners on the coffee and end tables are going to create a big hazard for the baby when it starts walking. I would address that issue first.

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

Using what you have pictured, place the longest sofa on side of the room with the laundry door, leaving at least 40" walkway, more would be nice, but I cannot tell the size from your photo - do you have a room layout made up?

Place the upholstered arm chair on the other side of the fireplace facing the sofa, and "shop" around your home for another comfy chair to place beside the armchair.

remove the loveseat from the room completely - maybe put this in a guest room or the baby's room.

place a coffee table between the two arm chairs and the sofa, but turn it 90 degrees and center it over the fireplace.

retake the photo so we can see where we are at.

if you are looking to purchase all new furniture and change the mood completely, do you have picture of rooms that appeal to you?

This post was edited by detroit_burb on Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 14:22

• dainaadele
    10 years ago

I think the problem may be you are trying to add formal items for a casual lifestyle. I would let the room go more rustic than Victorian. Here are a few suggestions that should be cheap fixes: I would remove the artificial foliage and picture on the mantle to something more friendly and personal. Let it become a shelf for collecting mementos and pictures. You can hang a cluster of family photos on the wall above. Swap the light shade out for one that is more casual. It does seem to need curtains of some sort to soften the room. I would be temped to more non-functioning treatment inside the windows. (valance and sides) It will be easier to maintain keep clean with small children. Creamy and soft. The one cash outlay that I would spend or save us for is a larger rug. Maybe a remnant that you bind?

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Madeyna addressed what jumped out at me--the dangerous coffee table (and matching end table with a corner jutting out into the walkway and the precarious lamp). I also see a stone fireplace hearth. The oversized furniture is going to force your toddler into these dangerous pathways. Maybe remove the loveseat from the room when your baby starts walking, and then decorate from there.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I think about everything has been covered that I was thinking. Good luck. I know how you feel. I bought a Corvette as "my car" with a 3-month-old baby. I lost a bundle when I was forced to taking it back after facing reality. Yes, I was young!!!

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

you can keep a coffee table with little kids, I have with three kids. there are corner protectors for when they are little, and as they grow, they will use the table for their toys and projects. I have a coffee table with a shelf on the bottom that the kids use for many different things - place a blanket over an it is a bear cave, put some toys on the different levels and it is a house with an upstairs and a downstairs, use the top as a lego project table...

• cat_ky
    10 years ago

I noticed the fireplace hearth too. Toys R Us sells rubber bumpers that you can trim to exactly fit the size of your hearth. I have them here for great grandkids.

• judyr908
    10 years ago

Sorry, if I'm repeating anything, because I didn't read all the posts. The room lacks personality. And yes, you have a lot of different styles. I have two adult kids and a 4 and 6 year old. I love the rustic, distressed look. It works well. Since you already have the masculine, leather sofas that can't change, this is what I would do:

Go to home depot or lowes and buy matchstick blinds for texture. They are not expensive and are very in right now. Then go to buy some drop clothes (yes the type painters use) and hang them up on either side of the match stick blinds. I would use black rods. The drop clothes are simple because you don't even need to know how to sew.

I am also a huge fan of craigslist!! I would get rid of the coffee table and find a large ottoman. Preferable, on that opens for storage of games, toys, blankets, etc. Make sure it's not leather. You can even make one yourself!

Then, I'm sorry but the recline is crying!!! I would invest in a slipcover for her, also not expensive, and make it in a softer color like a sage green. You need more color in the room.
    You also need texture. All your surfaces are smooth! The leather is smooth, the floor, etc. I would remove the picture over the fireplace and replace with a big mirror with a wood frame. And don't hang it just lean it for a more casual look. The room looks to formal for a family room. Also I would like to see a nice rustic style bench on the short angled wall under the clock, which I would take down. Sorry :) The bench could be a distressed white with wicker baskets underneath for kids storage or craft storage. I would love to see family photos over it with different style fames, but in all the same color or wood color. ie, black frames, but different sizes and shapes. Or instead of frames, you can do floating shelves, also cheap and easy to make and lean photos up on it and you can interchange. I would get rid of the greenery on either side of the mantel and put up a chunky candle stick holder (3 in different sizes with blue candles to bring out blue in slate surround) I would also throw a throw over the sofa in a nice plaid or chunky solid one. No more than 20 dollars at tjmax or marshals. I would invest in a few pillows that had color on them. i could give you more ideas if you want, but one of my babies needs potty help

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I would also suggest a larger rug--this can be done inexpensively at places like Home Goods, Lowes or HD, removing the foliage, and then a slipcover for the recliner. I've had good luck with Surefit slipcovers for our recliner. I would recommend one with a high spandex content for best fit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Surfit slipcovers

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Here are my two cents:
    The place needs to work with the baby, and soon, toddler. Now, it depends on the child, but some kids get into things that you never dreamed off, so baby proofing needs to have priority above everything else.
    A storage ottoman instead of the coffee table is a great idea. While leather would be great in terms of practicality, I'd probably look at outdoor fabric or Krypton.
    Bamboo blinds are great as long as you make sure that the cords are well out of reach. Inexpensive side panels, maybe IKEA, are great, although some kids pull themselves up on them.
    The lamp on the side table and the buttons on the TV, cable box, etc. My kids would have taken care of that in a heart beat, ditto the plants on the fire place.
    If you can do so, I'd also get rid of the love seat. Once your child walks, you most likely want more open space.

Below is a link to baby-proofing a stylish living room, although I have to say that it wouldn't have bee baby-proofed for my kids.

Here is a link that might be useful: baby proofing

• Nikki_Lynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input! I think I found some things that might work :)

For paint colors, I was thinking this natural cream, like someone had stated above.
    http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/naturalcream

Then the 8" 10" of this rug
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Encore-Sienna-Delphine-Area-Rug-710-x-910/7912876/product.html

And of course, put a wooden mirror on the fireplace mantle- I havent found one yet.

and Family photos instead of the clock, with a bench under them

I'm excited! I appreciate everyone helping me out!

• leafy02
    10 years ago

NikkiLynn, I applaud you for taking all the suggestions in stride--it can be daunting to hear folks chime in on our spaces. I love your fireplace and wish I had one like it in my living room--as well as those nice big windows.

You mentioned that you like things to match and there is nothing wrong with that, but if you look at any decorating magazines and pick out rooms you like in them, do those rooms have lots of matching? I only ask because I think many people feel like things are "supposed to" match but when they see rooms they love in a magazine and actually break down what is in the room---not so matchy and what they actually like is more of an eclectic mix.

Also--love the dog!