Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19715097

Fake Flowers

User
15 years ago

Fresh flowers are getting really expensive, so I looked at silk flowers at a craft store today. They still look as fake to me as they did years ago. I've looked at various websites selling silk flower bouquets this afternoon and I am wondering if anyone here has seen NDI flowers in person? They are very, very expensive, so I assume they must look very natural and realistic? The pictures look great, but I am curious what they look like in person.

Comments (42)

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

They're pretty good, along with Diane James. I chose to purchase some Diane James because they suited my needs (wants) better. And yeah, they are expensive!

There are some good faux flower sites out there, and I know last year there was a post where a bunch of them were mentioned (some by me). Artificial Plants & Trees (terrific faux succulents), PYOB, Flowermall are a few which I recall.

But for arranged flowers, Diane James and NDI are the best I've seen.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

les917, the store is called "Hometown Crafts" and is much like Michael's or JoAnne's. They do have a huge selection, but hardly anything which looks real. The only realistic ones I saw were yellow Dancing Lady orchids. Did you use NDI flowers for your designs?

rmkitchen, one of the websites I came across sells NDI and Diane James, very impressive and very, very expensive. Did you personally see your Diane James prior to purchase, or did you order online? Do they look very real, even up close?

Here is a link that might be useful: NDI & Diane James

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Wowsers! now that's expensive! I didnt expect that! Must put on if I win Lotto list..

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I did see them (both) in person but, being the "frugal" gal I am, ordered online (for even with shipping it was still less than paying tax in person ...). I'd looked at Opulence of Southern Pines but ended up getting a slightly better total price from J-Z Rose; they also carry both, but an incredibly limited selection of NDI.

In all fairness, I was looking for fake flowers so my mind was already steered that way, if that makes sense. (I didn't have that "aha!" moment if I'd not known at first I was looking at faux.) But I do remember the first time I saw them in person (in Aspen, CO) and I was surprised at how wonderful they looked. One of the (Diane James) arrangements I purchased is of blush / pink peonies, and when my mother (who is a bit of a snob and thinks faux necessarily equals tacky -- she's wrong!) visited she saw the arrangement in my dressing room. She was surprised seeing them, saying to me "I thought you couldn't have fresh flowers." (our cats destroy every single flower / plant we've ever brought into the house [for nine years now] -- short of strangling them I switched to faux)

Aha!

I'd also purchased a little green hydrangea arrangement and put it on a bedside table in her room; when I explained to her that the peonies were in fact faux as was the hydrangea at her bedside, she marched right into her room to take another look at it.

I do think they're wonderful, and even though I am bothered by the cost, my mother said "oh no, it's definitely worth it!"

If you touch them or attempt to smell them of course you won't be fooled, but even up-close (although not with a magnifying glass!) they do look real and wonderful. They're ridiculously expensive but I only had to kiss one frog and he was a prince! (meaning: as opposed to what I've done in the past, which is order flowers, find out they look like crap, order more flowers, find out they look like crap, order more flowers and finally they look good -- by this time I've spent the same amount as if I'd purchased the good stuff in the first place!)

• amysrq
    15 years ago

I don't know which brand Gump's sells, but they're awfully expensive, so I tend to think they're a good brand/quality. They always have some arrangements in their clearance section so they're a fraction off exorbitant! ;-)

One of the most exceptional floral experiences I've ever had was a visit to the flagship store for Emilio Robba. I'll give a link to the site, though it's really only scratching the surface of his designs. Be sure to look at the fruit/gourmet section. The realism in person is exceptional. And....make sure you're sitting down before you look at the prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: More like a museum than a shop!

• User
    15 years ago

I have arrangements from NDI and they are, without a doubt, the best thing that ever happened to fake flowers. Yes, they are expensive, but they are beautiful, realistic, and after not buying the real thing four or five times, they've paid for themselves.

I think Gump's must use the same supplier of materials that NDI does, because their magnolia blossoms seem identical.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

IÂll suggest this in case other readers are in the market for fake but canÂt or donÂt want to go this more expensive pre-made route. I like to arrange everything myself anyway.

Of the DIY craft store variety, Jo-AnnÂs are the worst, Michaels next worst, and Hobby Lobby better. Not all of what they have IS better, but if you dig around you can find something pretty convincing.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

I buy fake flowers from Michael's (or have in the past, since I'm rather past that phase) and it must be all in what you choose and how you arrange it, because so many people have been fooled by mine. I chose flowers that had a natural, wild look to them and arranged them very informally and time after time have been asked if they were fresh flowers. But, there's still nothing like the real thing!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cooperbailey, I was shocked when I first saw those prices!

rmkitchen, I've managed to protect a couple of pothos plants from the kitties, they are on very high cabinets which makes them hard to water, but at least they thrive without regular kitty pruning. :o)
    Thanks for the J-Z Rose link, that is one I am not familiar with. The Diane James bouquets are stunning!

Amy, those look beautiful but I noticed in the closeup of the $950 rose bouquet (3rd pic, closeup of roses) you can see silk threads and cut edges. I would be upset if I paid that much and the petals weren't finished.

kswl, what flowers are in your arrangements? If you have them, do NDI roses look realistic?

Linnea, the fake orchids I saw did look real. Maybe it's because even real orchids are sort of fake looking anyway. :o)

Ingrid, I agree there is nothing like real, fresh flowers, I think that is why I am having a hard time buying fake.

• User
    15 years ago

I have amaryllis in one arrangement (all amaryllis, and the stems even look as though they are just going slightly brown in the "water"! ) Also magnolia and holly, both very realistic.

The roses look amazingly real in the NDI arrangements. I've seen them in person and wouldn't hesitate to buy.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Small furniture stores/homer decor boutiques often have ndi arrangements and sometimes loose stems which does help seeing it up close before buying.

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Several locally owned home stores carry NDI in my area. Both sell them loose or potted. It irks me to find one I really like, then to see the high price because of the valuable container.

I have several orchids and everyone thinks they are real. I've also purchased loose and potted in my great grandmother's clay pots with flaked off paint. Use real dirt. Don't cover the entire surface (or any) with dried moss. The orchids that have the air roots attached are the most realistic. These can individually and also have bulbs. Several times my dad has walked over to touch and ask if they are real. lol

{{!gwi}}

• andee_gw
    15 years ago

I have two orchids from Gumps. Really, I have to stop myself from watering them!

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

I rented a house in Florida for a month and thought the 3 tall orchids in the entry were fake, then last week the flowers fell and I realized I had not
    watered them, lol........... so I know the fakes look good.

• les917
    15 years ago

Just visited a site called Fiori Belli - the florals look very nice. The bowl of assorted faux fruit, which is sold out, looked very nice as well. Anyone purchased from them? Prices seem reasonable.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I have, les917! Their customer service is fabulous as are the prices. I think, given the prices, the quality is quite good, but the quality is the sort where it's better from a bit of a distance. Wait, I should caveat this is just about what I have from them.

For example, I have some of their quince blossoms, and when you're right on top of them (you know what I mean) they look okay. (but still far superior to the stuff I see at [my local] Michaels, except those Michaels poinsettias are pretty fabulous, I think) However, from a distance of six feet or so they look even better. When my neighbor popped over she noticed them from the front door and asked if I'd forced them (meaning: cut branches and brought them inside to force a bloom). She's another of those "no artificial flowers!" so I think that's a favorable statement ....

I only have flowers (no plants, no fruit) from Fiori Belli, and I wish there were more variation in the color of the blossoms. If so, then the flowers I have I would consider terrific.

• artlover13060
    15 years ago

Home Depot Expo has beautiful fake flowers. They have NDI arrangements but they also have tons of loose stems. I don't know what brand they are.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Les, thanks for that site, those prices sure are very reasonable! I am tempted by the German Iris bouquet, even when zooming it looks quite real.

Artlover, what is Home Depot Expo? Is it a Home Depot store?

• artlover13060
    15 years ago

Home Depot Expo:

What is is? First of all, it is nothing at all like a Home Depot Store. I guess they are owned by the same company, but Expo focuses on mid to high end decorating. I didn't realize they weren't all over the place until I did a store search: http://www.expo.com/stores/storelocator.asp.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've never heard of them before, and no wonder, I just did a search and the only one here in TX is far, far away from us.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

kswl, how do you clean these expensive stems? I like my cheapo's because I can literally run them under water. I'm of the mindset, if can't wash something under water, it's not really clean. Just my lunacy. I am curious about how to care for those that are pricier. Maybe a friend will ask what I want for a housewarming gift and I'll send her to that site. After she faints, maybe she'll order me a stem or two!!

• mel_bc
    15 years ago

I do not know how to link but if you google Chintz and Company Victoria BC and then under products hit "Botanicals" then floral etc you will see the most amazing silk flowers. They look as realistic in person as they do online. And I don't recall them being that expensive. I think there are products out there that can come pretty close to the real thing. You have to touch these ones to figure it out. They really are beautiful. By the way they have some very interesting furniture etc as well.

• leahcate
    15 years ago

Chintz does have some very pretty things, but where are the prices???

• mel_bc
    15 years ago

I only know about the prices of the silk flowers because I live near the city and am able to visit the store. I was just using these flowers as an example that there are some good fake flowers out there. I imagine if you wanted to know their prices you could contact them by email. Alot of their things are very reasonable though, including many pieces of their furniture. It has many unique items.

• User
    15 years ago

Whoever posted the Fiori Belli site should be ashamed of herself! It is entirely her fault that I am now buying some truly beautiful Christimas arrangements! And others!

Brutuses, we clean the NDI arrangements first with air---cans of air that look a little like wd40 oil, with that same little straw thingie to direct the air. It's the same stuff you'd clean a computer keyboard with.

Then we also clean the stems with a horsehair brush (sort of like a shaving brush) that is the same tool used for cleaning the lampshades. We've never used water on the NDI flowers, although I wouldn't hesitate to use a damp cloth if necessary. I confess that I don't do very much of the cleaning, though; I'll ask the housekeeper if she does anything different that I don't know about. (I don't mean that to sound obnoxious but she takes responsibility for anything that needs to be done and I wouldn't necessarily know if she's doing anything over and above what I'd requested!)

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Thanks the info.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That red rose bouquet on the Chintz website is stunning. Even in the closeup pic, the roses look lush and realistic.
    I wonder if the vast majority of fake flowers are made in China, and if more expensive ones made in other countries look more realistic?

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Ok so today the fern, who was desparately trying to hold onto his/her weak grasp of life, decided to pee all over the floor (Ok I over watered obviously) so it's been tossed over the deck into the snow...that's it, I'm going to "gasp" try fake flowers...or fake ferns anyhoo. I absolutely want so close to real you're confused...and I've never been confused at michaels. I also don't want to have to spend a week arranging something out of a mail order box...so ladies, which of these brands is best at ferns...and do they come "done" or do I have to work at it? I know when I start wintering in WA that all the plants here will die anyhoo...so it's either a short life for many ferns, then a toss over the deck (we pick up the mess come spring) or e gads...fakes....I think fakes are going to win...

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

These are a few examples of SIA flowers. Not as expensive, also they have lovely acrylics in place of expensive crystal.

• Boopadaboo
    15 years ago

I would love to hear about ferns too. I NEED some green, and am not prepared to deal with the cat onslaught of any real plant/flower I would find. This house had some hooks in place in front of a few windows for hanging plants and I have left them hoping I would find some fabulous faux ferns to hang on them.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Igloo, I linked to a preserved Maiden Head Fern, it's dried already, so no worries. :o)
    That site is addictive, tons and tons of stuff. I got stuck for over an hour.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maiden Head Fern

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Several years ago, I bought a Maidenhair fern and a some type of silver/regular fern at Pottery Barn. They look very real, but I did not like the chalkboard pots. I broke them off and replanted in some containers I already had - used real dirt. DH has watered them once or twice when I'm out of town. lol

I've had luck doing this with succulents too. They make some very realistic plants nowadays.

I can't have preserved plants due to cats.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I was just going to ask about the preserved plants and cats...are they poison to them? I also have small children and a dog (along with two fern eating cats).

The reason I love ferns at home is that they're safe...and supposedly easy to care for LOL (I've killed a few...those long hospital stays spell death to my plants).

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I've never purchased a fern from them, but based on everything else I have I believe Artifical Plants & Trees will have top-notch ferns.

Seriously, the quality of everything I have from them is superlative, and the customer service is excellent to boot! They've both ready-made arrangements (inc. plants) as well as stems / individual pieces. I purchased two pink protea and a green ginger (all separate pieces), a Vanda and Phalaenopsis orchids (potted, with amazing air roots) and a number of fascinating (individual) succulents (I am a sucker for hens and chicks!) from them, and to a one they are impeccable. I think I'm most taken with the protea. No one believes the succulents aren't real.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know my kitties loved to chew on dried flowers when I had them, so probably not a good idea for those with cats.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Like Allison, I have a fern and a couple of succulents from PB and they look preetty daern good.

Nettleton Hollow is another site for interesting preserved and dried material. I have ordered from them and they're very pleasant to deal with. They send out "specials" e-mails every few months of you sign up for mailings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nettleton Hollow

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Igloo, I do not know if they are poisonous to cats. Mine just would eat them, only to barf them back up. You learn what your cats will/won't eat.

• dgo1223
    15 years ago

If anyone wants anything from Home Depot Expo, better hurry, they are closing the stores.

• linda168
    12 years ago

I have a friend tell me a company called SILK FLORAL, it located in CA ,that sells very good quality silk flower arrangement, they do custom job, I order a swag for my guest bedroom, it is so pretty. u can check it out at www.gwendaviddesigns.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Gwen David Designs

• Danielle Hill
    4 years ago

10 years after the original post and this information is still very helpful! I'm considering NDI florals and was wondering if they were worth the money.

• les917
    4 years ago

NDI florals are definitely worth the money. As with many things, the quality of the materials used plays a significant role in the overall feel of the end product. You can’t get a realistic look and feel from poorly made faux florals. When I was doing custom silk arrangements for the Great Indoors, and also on my own, the best compliment was when a shopper would lean over to smell the flowers in the arrangement, thinking they were real. NDI florals will produce that result.