Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pupwhipped

Do you have an engineered hardwood floor you adore?

pupwhipped
11 years ago

I started this inquiry originally in flooring, but I don't know how much help I'm going to get there. So, I thought I would beg over here in Home Decorating. This is probably not the best way to do this, but I'll just ask you to go over to my thread in flooring:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/flooring/msg011630511523.html?1

Or is there some better way to do this? I have pictures posted there and all. Anyway, would really appreciate any thoughts or ideas if anyone has the time. Thanks in advance for any help.

pup

Comments (19)

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

Here is the link to pupwhipped's thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: flooring

This post was edited by maire_cate on Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 19:33

• Laurie
    11 years ago

We love our Lauzon engineered wood flooring.
    I detailed more info on your Flooring post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lauzon

• nanny2a
    11 years ago

We are thrilled with our Mannington engineered hickory hardwood flooring that was installed 15 years ago. It has held up very well with dogs, cats and kids, and hardly a scratch visible anywhere. Two rooms were also completely flooded by a leaky refrigerator and broken toilet, and after drying out two days, the finish returned to normal and looking as good as new.

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

Depends on the look you want. We are installing summitt forest products hand scraped hickory which comes in wide widths and long lengths. We have slab floors. The finish, the wear layer, the length and the width pretty much determine the pricing for engineered floors.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

You have a lot of french country going on in your rooms, which is my favorite style.

Dark wood would be lovely in there. A friend of mine has the same flooring as I do, Anderson engineered wood, hickory, dark stain with bevels. Her house is in french country, with a lot of white like your's, and I fell in love with it at first sight.

Since the flooring is a bigger deal than the railing on the stairs, I'd get what you like, then decide if you need to redo the railing later.

I want your curio cabinet! :)

• flymom65
    11 years ago

We have Andersen Hand Scraped Hickory floors and absolutely love them! My neighbor liked them so much that she purchased the same flooring. Then my sister saw them and used the same flooring in her home.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

DD2 also installed Anderson Hickory Forge hand scraped hardwood floors in her home. It is gorgeous. She's been in her home 4 years - has 4 dogs, 2 cats and an 18 month old. It's tough stuff!

Sorry for the glare. The color is Ringing Anvil.

Interesting tidbit, the flooring is made by inmates in South Carolina.

More pictures:

Here is a link that might be useful: DD2 DR

• Jodi_SoCal
    11 years ago

Our flooring is probably darker than you want but it's so pretty and warm and wonderful to walk on.

Victoria Floors Antique Collection Coique Chocolate, 7" wide planks

Jodi-

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much....especially maire cate for posting the link. I tell you what, all the pics of the beautiful floors might have me even more confused now then before. HA! They are all very nice looking.

Well, I went to no less then three floor stores today. And around 3:00 p.m., at the last stop, I told the salesman there I needed a drink cause this was stressing me out big time. It's now only 4:30, and I am indeed having a glass of wine as I type. Whoa! But, I think I've made one big decision. I think, like Oakley said, I should get a floor I like and refinish the stairs. Otherwise, my choices are quite limited. If I get the same color floor, just in a different width or whatever, it will not feel like I've updated anything. With that in mind, I found two choices I am leaning towards. I liked that Anderson Hickory Forge floor that was mentioned by flymom and allison above...and I liked that choice even before I saw their posts here. Yay! I also really like a floor by Shaw. I think it is called Broadmoor, and it is the Burnt Barnboard color. I LOVED the sample board...salesman said they have this flooring in stock and he went and pulled a few boards from the back. THE COLOR WAS NOTHING LIKE THE SAMPLE BOARD. Huh? It had a more redish tone to it. So now I am a bit spooked away from it. Course I know this can happen with any selection you make, but geez!

So that's where I am right now. I'm spooked and I'm drinking. LOL!

Thank you all again for your kind responses. Please keep them coming.

pup

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh wait, I reread here and see that Oakley has the Anderson floors, too. Well, that may seal the deal as I like to copy her. Oakley, you probably don't remember this, but I fell in love with your checkerboard tile floor quite awhile back. I asked you for the details. I ordered the exact same tiles and did your look in the lower level of an old lake home we had purchased and were renovating. I LOVE IT!

Gosh, and as I looked at all the floors again here, they are all so pretty. I would take any one of them....especially am drawn to the ones that will stand up to dog toenails. I have FIVE dogs...that's a bunch of toenails!

Jodi, your floor is just as lovely as your kitchen backsplash.

Thanks again,
    pup

• flymom65
    11 years ago

pup, make sure you look at the sample boards in different spots in your room throughout the day. The lighting and even your wall color will make a difference. I was concerned about the floor looking too reddish but it does not show red at all. I had wanted a really dark floor but the husband wanted something that looked like his boyhood home in the mountains of Tennessee. Now, I am really glad we went with the Andersen. After hearing how it was made, I was sold!

• allison0704
    11 years ago

Glad you like them. I was going to go back and edit/type in that the close up picture shows the color as more red, but IRL they are darker/no red. DD2 has been really happy with her floors and I have floor envy!

• Jodi_SoCal
    11 years ago

Thanks Pup.

Jodi-

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Couple of more things, please. Flymom65, do you know what the color name of your floor is? And I got the name wrong on the Shaw floor I liked...it is called Pebble Hill Hickory. I think it is almost identical to the Anderson floor, although it only comes in three colors.

Thanks,
    pup

• flymom65
    11 years ago

Mine is Golden Ore . . . we had it done about 3 years ago.

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Whoa, just got a price on the Anderson from the same place that I earlier had gotten the best price on the Shaw flooring. The Anderson is well over twice as much per square foot. I don't get it......they look very much alike. There are just more color options in the Anderson. Hmmmmmm.

Thanks again to all.
    pup

• allison0704
    11 years ago

Some "handscraped" wood flooring is actually machine scraped. It could also be thinner. DD2 lucked up and the color she wanted was overstocked by the local flooring showroom - it was the only Hickory Forge 50% off at that time. She lucked out.

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Allison. Looks like I am going to go with the Shaw flooring....for better or worse. The best price I got was $3.35 per square foot, although some places gave me prices as high as $5.25. Pays to shop around.

I'm tired of all this and it hasn't even started yet. HA! They come tomorrow to start doing all the work. Hope I survive it....I'm not known for my patience.