Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trilliumgreen

Help with off white / ivory - everything I try looks peachy :(

trilliumgreen
12 years ago

Hi folks - I have posted on a few other forums, but not this one. And while I know I am not the first one to ask advice about choosing an off-white paint color, I though I would throw my question out here.

We bought a place, and among other things have pulled off all the fake wood paneling (yay!). Now I just need to find a paint color. I am looking for one color for the living / kitchen / dining / entry / hallway (they are pretty open to each other). I would like to go with a good neutral, but something that doesn't come across as either white or beige. Ivory is the color I have in mind, it would be ok if it were a little yellow.

Based on the BM "subtle, jicima, palace white" thread I was feeling really hopeful about Subtle or Palace White (that, and the actual color chips). However, when I get the testers, they look very peach. In a flesh-tone kind of way :(. So I am at a loss for what direction to go next. I looked at BM elephant tusk, and it looked a little green-grayish, but maybe it is worth trying? The predominate light in the rooms come from the west, south, and north. The colors I have tried so far are:

BM - sugar cookie (too light and pink)

BM - morning light (too light and greenish)

BM - subtle (the best so far, but it is still kind of fleshy)

BM - palace white (I thought this was going to be the one, but unfortunately it is even more peach / flesh tone than subtle).

I will try and get photos sometime.

Thanks for your help!

Here is a link that might be useful: subtle, jicima, palace white thread

Comments (30)

• mjsee
    12 years ago

What time of day is subtle looking PEACHY? Because at my house it reads cream to yellow-ish...depending on the time of day/light...

• jen9
    12 years ago

Have you tried Cream Fleece?

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

Are you using incandescent light bulbs? They have a yellowish cast that can make white look peachy yellow. Look for "bright white" in a compact fluorescent.

• mjsee
    12 years ago

Or reveal bulbs if you are using incandescents...

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

BM Mascarpone (an Affinity color). We used that in our downstairs entryway and the FR off that entryway. Slight yellowish cast, but we preferred that to peach/flesh-toned off-whites and creams. Some colors we liked when painted on one wall, read a bit peach/fleshy on other walls in our downstairs. Mascarpone is a nice creamy color, does not read peach at all, and it really does look like the Italian creamy cheese for which it's named!

Other BM colors we considered; Paper Mache, Steam, White Down, Moonlight White (among others!).

We wanted a cream color for the FR/entry, but for our guest bedroom we used Muslin, which is an awesome color. It reads cream in my friend's house. They used it in her large foyer, LR/DR; all part of an open floor plan with nice high ceilings. In our guest bedroom it reads deeper than that and looks somewhat khaki at night, but we like it at all times of day.

• trilliumgreen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't able to make it over today to get photos. I have mainly been looking at it under natural light, in the morning (9 ish) and late afternoon (4 ish). The house gets lots of light, but it has been pretty overcast around here lately. We aren't moved in so I haven't really been able evaluate it throughout the day.

The outside of the house is painted peach, and I wonder if the walls are perhaps reflecting the light bouncing off the siding???

Lighting... there are a few overhead fixtures that give off bad lighting, and will get replaced but haven't yet. I haven't been using them to evaluate the color. There is one wall sconce with an incandescent bulb, and in the evening with that on, Subtle looked a little less peachy. I hadn't tried PW yet when I looked at that.

Thanks Jen for the suggestion; I will check out cream fleece.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

One of the most popular here is SW Ivoire

• les917
    12 years ago

What are your floors made of - wood, carpeting, tile? You can get a lot of reflection from the floor color onto the walls.

Growing up, my mom had a second living room in which the carpeting was a medium powder blue. She thought about painting the walls in a very pale blue, but the interior decorator working with her suggested that she would get enough color reflection on the white walls that she didn't need to change the wall color. She was right - especially during the day the walls took on a pale blue cast.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

the bm affinity color ballet white doesn't have any pink or even many yellow undertones - sortof a slight brown undertone - i definitely would describe it as a light ivory...

• oldhouse1
    12 years ago

trilliumgreen, I have been on the same hunt. Our trim is BM Cloud White and I have been searching for a subtle wall color. I picked up BM Ivory White CC-130 and it's a great cream with a slight yellow undertone. Looks good in my darker hallway but also in my brighter rooms. Might want to take a look. Good luck.

• ttodd
    12 years ago

I believe this strip is next over from Cream Fleece:
    BM Porcelain Ivory (or Ivory Porcelain - I always forget):
    In hallway:

Up close

This is BM Jonesboro Cream, 2 down from PI:

BM Pure White (probably too close to white for you though)

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

We used to have BM Natural Wicker in our MBR, which was a nice creamy off-white. I think it's OC-1 or OC-2.

• rmaxharrj
    12 years ago

Just a note: BM Elephant Tusk (OC-8) is exactly the same as BM Ivory Porcelain (classic color 239), shown in some of the beautiful pictures above. I found that out after much googling and checking at the paint store. It's a very pretty color, and it will lean very slightly green rather than peachy.

• birdgardner
    12 years ago

Can you look at the formulas? I think ivories which are primarily colored by brown will read pinkish-peach.

• mjsee
    12 years ago

If the exterior of your house is painted peach then reflection could be a big chunk of your issue. The colors in my house look VERY different when the leaves are on the trees versus when they are bare. Also--angle of light changes enormously winter/summer....

• andee_gw
    12 years ago

I just finished painting my LR in BM Linen White. It is the softest, lightest true cream color I've seen It is definitely not "white" when you see it next to Dove White, for example. I don't have anything in the LR that would reflect off it, though.

• suero
    12 years ago

Try BM 964 (White Sand)

• trilliumgreen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You folks are great! I certainly appreciate all the feedback and suggestions. It is helpful to have colors recommended, as it is all too easy to pass them over when I am staring at a wall full of sample chips.

Cat mom: didn't see your post when I posted mine. In the store I thought mascarpone might be too white, but I will take a closer look, especially given that the walls will be reflecting color from other surfaces.

While the previous owners had carpet, we are hoping after the carpet pad is up (right now left to protect the floor since we are remodelling) the oak subfloor will be in good enough condition that we can have hardwood floors.

Thanks Todd for posting photos. I do like the Ivory porcelain as it looks on your walls (and thanks rmaxharrj for the info about elephant tusk and ivory porcelein!). I also really like the BM pure white, if it looked like that in my home, it wouldn't be too white.

I will ask about the formulas - the inner scientist in me likes the idea of looking at some numbers ;)

If there is a lot of peach reflecting off of other surfaces, do you think I should try and head in more of a green direction? Maybe experimentation is the only way to figure that out. I don't know what I am going to do with all these testers when I am through though...

• ttodd
    12 years ago

Oops, I meant SW Pure White. That has been the only off white that didn't turn some form of a horrid yellow cast in that room and I tried too many to count.

Even BM Simply White has a yucky yellow tone in that room. I am repainting it Pure White. The only tint is raw umber in it that counteracted any yellow or peach.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

I tried 16 different BM off-whites (!) and they all went peachy or pinky - then landed on BM Soft Chamois. Perfect! Give it a try?

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

I think testing samples out is the only way to know for sure. And you probablyl need to do the testing after you have changed the floor and any other major surfaces.

I'm using BM mascarpone as the trim and ceiling color in my house and I LOVE it. But, I know for sure that it has red in it; the last gallon I bought was not completely mixed and had some red colorant clearly visible. If it has red in it I would assume it would read peachy on your walls.

• Sheeisback_GW
    12 years ago

Take a look at BM Linen White. I see no peachy/pink, however, at night in my house is can appear dingy.

• DLM2000-GW
    12 years ago

trilliumgreen - how are you using the testers? Are you painting directly on the wall? The current wall color will change the way the test color looks because you are seeing it around the sides and possibly from underneath even though you think it's covered completely - often it's not. You can paint on a large board and then move it around the room to see the color on all walls and in corners but even that isn't a 'true' look. It's not inexpensive, but if you can narrow down to 2 or 3 colors, buy a quart and roll out an entire wall, or at least a wide swath from floor to ceiling. Then step back and visually block out the other walls to see what your test color looks like without the influence of the unpainted walls. It's the nature of color, but you won't really know until you have all the walls done and the color is bouncing around the whole room.

• dawnp
    12 years ago

When we built our house, I searched high and low for a perfect neutral paint. We used SW Irish Cream. I still love it 6 years later.

It is not yellow though - just a great off white. It is not peachy at all.

Good luck!

• avesmor
    12 years ago

If you aren't set on BM paint (or at least BM colors) try SW Antique White. It's a really common color for trim work, at least in my area, and my parents have it throughout most of their house. It has never looked peach to me.

• trilliumgreen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone - I have lots of colors to take a look at when I take a stab at it again this weekend (including the SW colors). Unfortunately, I won't be able to evaluate it the colors under ideal conditions (with changes still to come in flooring and also kitchen cabinets). I had started out painting a piece of drywall and moving it around, but then once construction started it got lost in the mayhem, and so I just started painting on the white plaster wall, thinking, well at least it won't disappear on me... I can at least go back to using the drywall piece to evaluate colors.

I'll let you know how it goes.

• trilliumgreen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think it is a winner at least. The more I look at paint, the less decisive I feel.

OK, so I made it back to the BM paint store (didn't make it SW), and armed with a bunch of paint chips, re-evaluated things. The color I liked best on the paint chips was BM Marble White (OC-34), and the good news is that it stayed true once placed on the plaster wall. I also tried painting some scrap drywall, but I think I am having issues with the drywall absorbing so much paint that it is hard to get the true color, so I ended up just painting on walls throughout the areas I want to paint. In other areas that I painted, the color was a bit more white and less yellow. Here, is a photo that illustrates what has colors I have tried so far (minus BM morning light). The colors seem to have photographed pretty true. Please forgive the hideous glue marks left over from the paneling. We will be addressing that. {{!gwi}}From Kitchen remodel

From left to right it is (all BM): subtle, sugar cookie, palace white, marble white. The pigments in marble white include 2 shades of yellow and a gray.

I may decide the add another color to the living area (either 1 or 2 adjacent walls) and am considering BM crisp khaki (one shade darker than the cream fleece color ttodd recommended). We will see how this all evolves.

Thanks again for the help.

• PRO
    IC4U Designs
    8 years ago

Master & master bath with not a lot of natural light. Choices? Marscapone(BM), Linen white ( BM) , Muslin (BM ) , maritime white(BM ) .

• PRO
    IC4U Designs
    8 years ago

.. In addition, almond toilet , tub and sink that I don't want to replace just yet.