Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01_gw

need your creative ideas

daisychain01
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping you creative people can come up with a solution for me.

My 10 year old DD currently has no bedroom and sleeps on a mattress in the corner of our bedroom. Her only privacy at the moment is a short nightstand between our bed and hers.

She came up with idea of hanging a curtain but we are not allowed to put anything into the walls. We bought cheap Ikea curtains, wire and 3M hooks yesterday, but when we tried to mount it today the hooks pulled right off the wall.

Granted, we did not let the hook adhesive cure on the wall for the full 24 hours (only about 20 hours). Do you think if we try again, and let it cure longer it will work?

Any other ideas on how to get this curtain to stay up?

Comments (21)

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Make a frame with pieces of pvc pipe?

• ohgoodness
    9 years ago

What about using a loft bed with a curtain on bottom and a tent on top? Ikea has the Kura bed. Lots of hacks online that turn out really neat. Or maybe a teepee or yurt?

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmmmm, I wonder if we could just put the pvc pipe right across and hang it on the 3M hooks. I have a feeling the hook failed with the wire because the pressure was pulling on the hook rather than hanging on it (if that makes sense). A pipe would put the pressure downward rather than a forward pull. I wonder how much pvc pipe costs? Off to investigate.

I tried to convince the poor kid that the storage closet in the bathroom would be big enough for a bed, but for some reason she wouldn't go for that idea. She just had a fight with her sister and I found her hunkered down in the tub looking for a place to be alone :( Poor kid.

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    9 years ago

How much weight were your hooks supposed to hold? I can't imagine any of those holding a curtain of that size and definitely not a pvc pipe.

• Delilah66
    9 years ago

How about draping fabric or hanging the curtains from some free standing garment racks?

Here is a link that might be useful: Garment Rack

• bpath
    9 years ago

How about a tent, or the kid tents that are made to go over a twin mattress? Cozy! The cat will like it, too :)

This one is more sophisticated than a kiddie tent! Looks like the mattress just sets inside the tent, and it's a pop-up so easily stored.

Here is a link that might be useful: Privacy pop bed tent

• gmp3
    9 years ago

Another vote for PVC pipe!

This is a bit fancy, but you could certainly make something simpler. This would be nice because you could prop the mattress against the wall and put the screen in front of it it you want to hide it. Big Lots often has inexpensive solid colored curtains.

Here is a link that might be useful: PVC pipe screen

• bpath
    9 years ago

That Privacy Pop comes in pink, blue, natural, and a black-and-white pattern, too, and both sides zip open/closed, and the ends have zipper mesh windows.

Eta link

Here is a link that might be useful: Privacy pop's own website

This post was edited by bpathome on Mon, Jan 26, 15 at 20:58

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I want the pop up privacy tent, but she doesn't like it. I think she wants something bigger. She also doesn't want a room divider, but if hanging the pipe won't work, we'll have to go that route.

The Kura bed also looks interesting, but I'm not sure I want to go that permanent.

We're still a couple of weeks away from finalizing bids on getting the house restored. Once that is done, we'll have a better idea of how much time we'll be here. If it's going to be 6 months or more, we'll really have to come up with a more permanent solution like the Kura bed. If it's only going to be a few months a curtain will do.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

How about Zip Wall Poles put up with fabric instead of plastic. They are spring loaded poles usually used for dust control in remodeling

• bpath
    9 years ago

Can we look at it the others way around? What is YOUR bed like? Can you attach poles/PVC to one side of your bed (with zip ties, like the Boy Scouts do at scout camp) and string a curtain there?

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You really are crazy creative. The zip wall idea would work but oddly I can't seem to find it at any of the Canadian DIY stores (online anyways) but only at the US stores. Will have to investigate further.

I can't get the privacy bed out of my mind either. I think I may have to buy one for myself just because it is so cool.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

Maybe a folding screen?

That pop up privacy tent is awesome!

Here is a link that might be useful: folding screens

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I like Pal's idea. It reminds me of a wretched tension lamp my mom bought in the 60's.

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

How about a regular old canopy bed with curtains? I had one as a kid and loved it. You could probably find one on craigs for cheap. Even if you put the mattress on a bedframe she could use slide under bed storage bins to give her more of an idea of "her space".

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Love the wall poles idea...I see amazon carries them...can you do amazon?

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

If you have the time and energy (and tools) to DIY, you can put a frame together, using about $30.00 worth of 2x4s, 1x4s, and electrical conduit (US Home Depot prices), and use sheets for curtains. Your daughter could paint it any crazy color she'd like, and maybe you could re-use the framing pieces later in your reno.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Buy a couple of rolling wardrobe or coat racks (lock wheels into place) -- and then add a couple of long cheap curtain racks across them to hold curtains .....

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

I like the zip poles idea or the panel screens. The thing about the privacy tent is that she won't be able to stand up in it (at least not very easily), so she'd still have no privacy for getting dressed.

Is her sister's room big enough to be divided? (Probably not or you wouldn't be in this situation.) I ask because no privacy for your daughter currently also means no privacy for you in your bedroom. That would be tough.

• Delilah66
    9 years ago

Wall poles at Amazon are $300 for 6. That's a lot of free-standing garment racks.

• daisychain01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, this morning DD changed her mind and said she really likes the bed privacy tent. I think we will probably go with that. It's relatively cheap and the easiest to install.

I love the idea of a canopy bed, but there is exactly enough space for her mattress. I just don't think we could fit in a frame. The Ikea Kura might work because it looks very low profile, but I think the bed tent is the easiest and cheapest solution.

Thanks everyone!