Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sis2two

Need decorating help in my country dining room (pics)

sis2two
12 years ago

I so need some advice in this room. I have had at least three rugs in here and none worked for me. We will be replacing our dining room table soon with a table from Antique Tables Made Daily. Our current table is too small. I really like somewhat of a modern country but afraid that will not work with what I currently have. Lighting is an issue because we are in the woods and have a front porch across the front.I am not sure about a rug because I love our floors but what do you think. Need more wall decor but what. Thanks and if you have pictures, please post them. Thank you.

Comments (76)

• User
    12 years ago

Oh, aren't you the one that has the dark lower and white upper cabinets in your kitchen? And you changed paint to the copper color above the wainscoting?

If so, what about adding the same wainscoting to the dining room painted the same white/off white as the kitchen and trim? It would certainly lighten the room a lot. I do love red, but it does seem dark in that room and maybe doesn't coordinate great with the floor (which is beautiful)? Hard to tell from the pictures. Anyway, the wainscoting would break up the red so it's not against the floor and might help.

Just another option to consider.

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

Is it interesting how much different advice you get! It just goes to show that decorating is art, science and preference!

I personally love your burgundy walls! In fact, i think I gasped when I opened the picture of your room.:-) The ceiling is a little stark. Maybe a soft tan on the ceiling, or if you get a multi-color rug, maybe pull a color that you can use on the ceiling.

The scale of your art pieces is great. Adding some sconces at the 5 foot level would be a wonderful addition, as would some drapes. I personally would not add a rug because I don't like to pull dining room chairs across a rug; the chair always seems to get caught on the rug. Every once in a while I prefer function over form!

I bet your friends and family love being in that room! It's a gorgeous room!

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

What a nice room! And I also like the white with the red.

In regards to window treatments, have you thought about using the space outside the windows?

I think something like two giant ferns in wrought iron hanging containers, one in each window in warmer weather. Or greenery and branches in the cooler months. That would keep the interior less fussy.

• arlosmom
    12 years ago

I just did a search and looked at your kitchen wall color -- that's EXACTLY what I had in mind for your dining room. I think it would look fabulous with your floors and with your furniture pieces.

Would you consider something very simple for a rug like maybe jute?

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am so thankful to all of you who have offered advice. I have considered using the copper/rust color that I have in my kitchen but it seems to me that between the furniture and floors it will be a lot of the same tones. What I am wondering is that maybe I need a more red rather than the burgundy that I have now. Is there a more country red? Currently I am looking at the Ellen Kennon colors including old brick and berry red. BM has caliente which breaks from the burgundy. If I keep a red in there, I am thinking maybe a braided rug with some black, red and maybe gold. It would help bring in some warmth.
    jillinnj- I am the one who did the copper color in my kitchen with stained upper cabs and green lowers. While I love wainscotting, besides the labor, not sure how that would look behind my biscuit colored cabinet. That's why I keep thinking about a more rusty red vs. what I have. What do you all think? Thank you.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The black and white sign is by Charles Jerred and you can find his site by googling him. He sells on EBay and this particular sign is now being carried by Ethan Allen. The price is higher at Ethan Allen. Hope this helps.

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

I think it would be a tragic crime if you painted over those burgundy walls! Just my preference and personal opinion though. :-) I would work on softening the room and bing a little more coziness to it in other ways.

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

Love your wall color and white trim. I wouldn't repaint, trying to go more red. The burgandy is really perfect with the white trim. The burgandy, at least to my eye, makes the room more of an elegant country rather than kitchy country. I do have to agree with the poster who commented about the lack of other fabric in the room.

Kind of OT - I am wondering if you feel differently about the room in the daylight? I ask only because we have similar sized windows in our home. When the windows were first installed, DH was adamant that he didn't want to obscure our view with curtains. Our home is decorated in a traditional/eclectic vibe.

Unfortunately, at night, the front rooms (LR/DR, large foyer) seemed cold, or gave off somewhat of a black hole feeling? Don't know if I am explaining it correctly. Anyhoo, in an effort to soften the windows, and to achieve a warmer if you will, perspective at night, I hung drapery only to frame the windows. Used decorative rods with rings, and put the pinch pleat pins through the tiny ring so as not to utilize the clips on the rings. Like you, we live in a very wooded setting with beautiful views during the day. Privacy wasn't our issue. Our problem was how the rooms looked after dark. Framing the windows made a huge difference without changing our view. It may be that we have more windows and less wall, LOL. I am just curious if we're the only ones who didn't quite like the after dark feel of our rooms with windows being similar (floor to ceiling) as those shown in your pics? I love the way your room looks with the clean undressed windows, but wonder how the room feels at night?

Other than that question, the sconces would be a great addition. I really like the floors without a rug unless and until you find the perfect choice (like the painted rug).

Very pretty room! Please post an after pic once you've changed out the table and/or decide on the addition of a rug.

• denali2007
    12 years ago

Sis
    I haven't decided on a table because I love them all. I am gravitating toward either the round pedestal or trestle tables. I have a huge oak oval pedestal table that I've had for 25 years and am tired of it. Plus all the kids are gone and I would like something smaller. These tables are even more beautiful in person. I had looked on line ,then when I saw them, I switched over to something else. Just can't make up my mind. It will require another trip. If you go, be sure to eat at the Thortan River Grille behind them. I had the most perfect Berger there.

I really like the color of your room and it goes well with your style.

I'm posting a photo of my DR curtains. These would allow you to still have your view and not cover up your trim. I had them made through Etsy but that vendor is no longer in business.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

denali 2007- I was just on the table site looking and I really like the Williamsburg table with the thick top and arched aprons. I think it would go with my other things without just the straight shaker. I love the trestle tables but not sure if it works as well for me. I like your curtains and your room. Recently I found someone on etsy that made some pillows for me and I think she makes window treatments too. Her work on the pillows is exceptional, so if I do go with window treatments, I will talk with her. What I would like to do is go away for a few days and have someone decorate it for me like on "Dear Genevieve". That would be nice but since I haven't written to her, I doubt she'll show up, lol.

• lyfia
    12 years ago

I don't think the the room looks too dark, especially considering it was dark outside when you took the pictures.

I think right now you feel you need a rug because your current table doesn't provide enough contrast with the floor. They look so similar in tone. I would wait on a rug until you have the new table and see if you feel you need one then plus you'll know better what size you need to keep the chairs on the rug when people are sitting there too. I'm not a huge fan of rugs under a table where people drop food/potentially spill stuff. I'm more for easy housekeeping so take that for what it's worth.

I think fabric items with simple lines would be a great addition. Roman shades in maybe a ticking stripe fabric. A few pillows sitting on the bench, easy to remove. A table runner. Can use fabric to pull the colors all together.

I think you have a lovely start on the room.

• Arapaho-Rd
    12 years ago

I really like your room - it came to me that you had the neat kitchen with the green bottom cabinets! I'd love to see you put that black/white rug in the room before you change anything else for us to see, if you can!

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Arapaho- W ill try to get that rug down from closet and post later. Here is a rug that we had previously in our family room and were going to sell it. Does this work or should I keep looking?

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is the dash and albert rug.

• fnzzy
    12 years ago

I like it. Tons. It's very similar to what my mother has on her floor and like I said above, the room always looks perfect and not at all too formal.

• fnzzy
    12 years ago

oh gosh, not the black and white. I don't like that at all. Not in that room.

• Arapaho-Rd
    12 years ago

They both work! Two totally different looks. I wouldn't get rid of either. Maybe the oriental for winter months & D&A for warmer? Just a thought. You could use either anytime. The oriental blends, the D&A is striking!

• mjlb
    12 years ago

I think the oriental works, but is more subdued than ideal. Not crazy about the black and white one.

• oldhouse1
    12 years ago

I actually really like the Dash and Albert. It looks really bold now but once you get your furnuture back in it will soften it. I'm just about ready to order a Dash and Albert myself. What do you think of the quality? I live in Canada and haven't had a chance to see it in person. Can't find it around here so have to order it. I love, love your room.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much oldhouse1! The quality of the rug is very good in my opinion. I ordered mine as well and it was shipped quickly. I so love your kitchen. Where would you be using your rug?

• teacats
    12 years ago

A vote to use the first rug in the dining room -- the pattern reminds me strongly of prim artworks. :)

AND a vote to use the second graphic rug in the kitchen -- VERY nice!!!! :)

THEN you can always switch around for the seasons! :)

• roarah
    12 years ago

I like the black and white it is an unexpected twist. I also like teacats idea of switching out the oriental with the B/W in the spring. I love your wall color BTW.

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

I have a preference for the oriental rug; the black and white rug doesn't work, in my opinion.

• oldhouse1
    12 years ago

sis2two, Thank you, we're enjoying our new kitchen. Although, looking at the warmth of the colors in your house I feel that mine is a little anemic. I've always loved color but felt that because of the age of our house I would go a little more subtle. I'm loving the look of white washed rooms but then I look at yours and I fall in love with color again. I love the color of your walls. The perfect plum color and that is not easy to find. I actually like both the rugs and would switch them up and live with them a while.

Your room is beautiful as it is now. I wouldn't work so hard to find the perfect pieces. Wait until you happen upon them. I find that when I work too hard I settle and then after the money is spent I come upon the perfect thing and have regrets. I know how you feel though. The search is part of the fun. I wouldn't do anything on the windows either unless you happen upon the perfect fabric. It's the simplicity that I love so much in your room. Is it a new build? I would love to see more.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Our house is about 11 years old.I have always been drawn to old houses all of my life but neither my dh or myself know anything about remodeling so we decided to build. I will try to post some pictures at some point. Your comment about color is ironic because when I see houses that have white walls or very light walls, I think maybe I should go that route. The dining room color is called bing cherry by porter and looks more plum in the pics then it really is. You are so right about making impulsive purchases. I just feel like I have so many areas that are unfinished.And I am nuts about changing things around all of the time. Anyway thanks for the suggestions.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

No to the B&W rug. It reminds me of the game, "One of those things are not like the other."

I like the first rug, but I just know you'd be happier with a braided rug in the colors you've chosen. Certain rooms beg for braided rugs to complete them, and you've got one heck of a beautiful room screaming for a braided rug.

George and Martha would thank you. :)

• User
    12 years ago

I think both the oriental and the b&w rug work beautifully! Could you just keep them and change them out seasonally?

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

I think the black and white brings the whole room alive!

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oakleyok- You just make me laugh! You will be happy to know that I have ordered 3 swatch samples of braided rugs from Capel. My favorite is the Americana in black. You'll have to take a look and tell me what you think.
    It seems to be pretty split as to the b&w rug which is kind of how I feel. Honestly, the karastan rug just doesn't do much for me in that room. Probably because I looked at it so long in my family room. I am really appreciative of all the input from all of you.

• hoosiergirl
    12 years ago

My .02: I really like your Karastan rug there, but you're the one living there, and if you don't like it, then you shouldn't use it. I don't like the black and white, but I think part of it is because we're not seeing it in context. I think seeing it w/the artwork and a table might make a huge difference. But it sounds like you might be a candidate for a braided rug to me as well. Your room is very pretty!

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Capel is a good brand. I have two in my kitchen, and one by the back door.

With a braided rug, I think the room would be more on the "elegant colonial" side.

I can't wait to see the samples!

• busybee3
    12 years ago

of the 2 rugs, i think the colored one looks better, but i still think a braided one would look by far the best...

the black and white one goes with your walls and chairs, but doesn't look that nice with the jelly cabinet or even the china cabinet, imo... it's not the right style room for that rug.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Now you've got me obsessed on the braided rug! I don't think many here use them though. And they're hard to find in stores, almost impossible where I live. But they're selling big though, with all the choices online to buy.

Here's a picture that will give you somewhat of an idea. I wish it showed more of the rug. But notice it doesn't make the room anymore country. The rug goes with the theme of the room which you have down pat!

{{!gwi}}

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

If I owned that Karastan, I would definitely use it in that room.

Do you remember the name/style of it. It is probably on the back - do you mind checking, pretty please. I found that rug a few years ago, lusted after it, but could not afford it. At least I think it is the same - I remember the tree motif on the border. I found it at Macy's a few years ago, but am not seeing it on the Karastan site.

If I could remember the name, I might be able to find it on e-bay or Craigslist. Someone else on GW has that rug in a family room.

Tuesday

Tuesday

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oakleyok--I have decided to go with a braided rug. I love the room you posted by the way. Even though I like the b&w rug, it does clash with the jelly cabinet imo. If you get a chance to go on the Capel site, take a look and tell me which ones might be contenders. I have had Capel rugs in the past and they are extremely well made.
    Tuesday 2008- We actually listed that rug on craigslist last night. If you are interested, let me know. I believe the name is Persian Vase. It retails for about 1800.00 but we are selling it for much, much less. It is still on the karastan website.

• teacats
    12 years ago

Actually I just got rid of my old olive-colored braided rug -- it was under my kitchen table for years and years! :) Loved it!!!

Do check overstock.com for braided rugs ....

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks teacats. I will take a look there. I am glad you gave me the sconce idea for each side of my hutch. I am just not good at picking out sconces so if you come across any let me know. Plan to get a couple of buffet lamps for my jelly cabinet since I really need added light. Thanks again.

• teacats
    12 years ago

Pottery Barn has a lighting sale right now -- and these look "Modern Country" to me ....

Here is a link that might be useful: PB - sconces

• teacats
    12 years ago

Here's a style that would work well with your chandelier ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bellacor -- black sconce

• OllieJane
    12 years ago

Definately the Black and White rug! It looks perfects in that room! You definately need a rug like that to brighten up the room. I like the other rug, but not in that room. Your pics and all look Folk Country and the black and white rug goes with all that!

• arcy_gw
    12 years ago

I read this when it first appeared and my thought was "Do what YOU like" After the back and forth on the rugs, opinions of every sort I go back to my original thought. I feel the table is too small for the seating so I understand you wanting a new table. After that it is 6 of one half dozen of another. Do let us see your finished room!!

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Teacats-Thanks so much for posting the sconces. I really need ones that aren't electrified. I am sorry that I failed to mention that before. So maybe they are not called sconces I guess. I am going to be looking for some pictures and want to use candle sconces with them. Also I have decided to paint the ceiling in Ellen Kennon's luminaire to warm things up and tone down the contrast between the red and white. Still plan to leave the trim since the same color runs throughout my home.

arcy--You are so right! I plan to replace the table and my gut tells me to go with a braided rug so that's what I'm going to do. It sure does help to have other opinions though and get new insights fom people with fresh ideas.

• eandhl
    12 years ago

On this site, especially pg 2 & 3 has some nice wrought iron candle sconces. Nothing to do with the site, I just checked around because I love your room.
    http://www.hillsburys.com/carts/wall-sconce.html

• newdawn1895
    12 years ago

Oh, no, get rid of the tweed rug, please. Pewter pieces would look great in your cabinet. Not that you asked.

.....Jane

• newdawn1895
    12 years ago

I often don't read all the responces. You wouldn't by any chance live in a suburb outside Detroit would you? My sister does floor clothes very reasonable. And a floor cloth would look great.

.....Jane

• teacats
    12 years ago

Ah! Here's the answer -- plug-in sconces. Basically hang them on the wall and plug into an existing outlet ....

Here is a link that might be useful: PB -- plug in sconce

• teacats
    12 years ago

Here's a candleholder from Pottery Barn that might work well -- and you could use those battery-powered larger candles too!

Here is a link that might be useful: PB -- wall candleholder hurricane

• ttodd
    12 years ago

Have you ever checked out Sturbridge Yankee Workshop? I haven't seen the catalog for a few yrs. but they used to have some really nice modern country layouts. That's more of the style that I envision your decor. More so than the EA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sturbridge Yankee Workshop

• ttodd
    12 years ago

Last post - I promise!

One of my favorite stores that I always thought showed the great flexibility of country design is this store:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pennsylvania Traditions

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love the sconces that you all posted! My chandelier is actually bronzy looking and the link to pottery barn had the finish that matched it. One thing I should probably say about my photos is they really don't accurately reflect that my chairs really do pop against the walls. For some reason they do blend in in the photo. I am afraid if I put up beadboard, my jelly cabinet would just look kind of dingy in front of it. I do love beadboard. In fact we have it in our mudroom, kitchen, and three bathrooms

ttodd- I love the Sturbridge Yankee Workshop which is where I purchased George and Martha. I am glad you like the rug. Today I was looking at it and I was thinking how I do love the graphic nature of it. I have taken my rooster pillows down and I think I want some pillows with some reddish ticking . Going to paint the ceiling to tone it down. I'm also looking for a lamp or two for the jelly cabinet. Once I get a new table, will the get things for the top of that. I so appreciate everybody's help with this room.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!