Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Drapery hanging question - pinch pleats on rings

Valerie Noronha
16 years ago

I had decided to change out my double traverse rod in my bedroom for a single traverse rod with an outer decorative one. DH and I were installing it today, though realized we'll need to get new brackets for the sheers so for now they have been removed. What we did was to take all the clips off of the clip rings and put the drapery hooks into the little hole where the clip was attached.

I really like much better how the drapes look with the decorative rod, though am not sure how to treat either end of the drapes. Right now neither end is in a ring, though I feel the ones at the outer ends should be. I've put a ring on the rod for the ends, though not attached as yet. The problem is the end areas are the fabric part and not the lining and before we had problems with the fabric snagging so I'm wondering if they should be reinforced in some way if I need to put a hook through the backside at the end.

Also, when we draw the drapes, the drapes all go towards the middle. We would like to tack the last ring in place so it does not move. Any suggestions? We had considered putting it on the outside of the finials, but then the brackets would need to be moved.

Lastly, I'd like to get some rods to use to open/close the drapes. Any suggestions what to get and how to install them. This is a DIY project.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (20)

• chelone
    16 years ago

Typically the last ring goes outside the decorative bracket, so you are prevented from pulling the entire panel toward the center.

On a regular traverse rod you put a hook on the very outside edge of the return and put that through the holes on the bracket. That way, the return basically "turns the corner" to keep the area darkened. Perhaps there is such a provision on the decorative brackets of your new rod.

Do they give you any indications on the instructions in the box?

• annzgw
    16 years ago

What you're looking for to open them is called a fling rod. I have a heavy metal one I purchased from the site below. Their site isn't very good but the product quality is.

http://www.mtdrapes.com/cu10.jpg
    http://www.mtdrapes.com/cu.htm

The link below carries acrylic rods.

I attached mine to the small ring that holds the drapery hook.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fling rods

• greenmtn
    16 years ago

I have something similar and have the last ring on the outside of the bracket. Then I have a little eye-hook screwed into the bracket that I have the very end of the panel in (like mentioned above, it creates a return for the panel). If the brackets are metal you could put the eye-hook in the wall.

Your rod and panels look really nice.

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

I have no idea what any of you are talking about: it's like reading Martian. But I did want to pipe up with my $.02 and say how lovely your window treatment is.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

chelone: Thank you for the explanation. I should've posted my question before I had DH screw in the brackets, I guess. The return is what messed me up before, as if I accomodate the return with a double layer treatment I have to bring in the drapes and then they will not stack back behind the sides of the slider the way I wanted them to. I'll talk to DH and see if he is willing to move in the brackets to accomodate that as we have to patch and touch up the areas where the other rod was before. The directions were very sketchy hence our confusion as we did measure it very carefully ahead of time.

annz: That is what I need. Thank you for the directions and link.

greenmtm: I like the idea of sewing an eyehook into the fabric. I think I'll do that for the ends. Thanks!

organic_smallhome: Thank you for the compliments. WT can be very complex to get the look you want I have found. I'm planning to create a separate post of my WT when I have them done. It's for a slider where privacy is an issue and I've pretty much been bungling my way along. For our LR/DR which face the street we went custom with profesional installation as I didn't want to mess around, but for the bedroom we are just DIY and learn as we go. I do like that the drapes were relatively inexpensive through JCP and I can change out in a few years when I may update my bedding for a fresh new look. The rods, however, I see as more of a permanent fixture so am hoping to get it right (eventually)!

• greenmtn
    16 years ago

The eyehook was in the bracket or wall - we then just hooked one of the metal drapery hooks (in the pinch pleat) into the eye hook. I hope that makes sense - so hard to describe on-line.

It was as if we hung the last hook into the eye-hook instead of onto a drapery ring.

• momof1
    16 years ago

You learn so much here!! I need those fling rods! Can you share where you bought your curtain rod and rings? Thanks!

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Your treatment looks great and after listening to these "explanations" of what needs to be done, I think I better hire a professional when it comes time to hang my draperies. LOL I've always been a rod pocket kind of gal. All this drapery rod stuff is Greek to me!

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

greenmtn: After re-reading your post, I think I understand what you mean. Now, that the drapes are closed, I can see how the ends really need to return back to get that straight finished edge. We don't have an eyehook though we will have to rig something up. Would love to see a pic of what you describe. I still like the idea of sewing an eyehook into the drapery as the fabric tends to snag if I put a drapery hook into the end section whic goes into the fabric.

momof1: I purchased the rod and rings at Lowes. It is a Levelor Hampton rod. The rings come with clips on them, but I removed the clips and put the drapery hooks into the little loop where the clips were attached. If you like this look, you have to select the clip rings very carefully as I noticed some brands have the clips attached to the loop and are not detachable. If you have pinch pleats I think it's a cleaner look, though the clips are nice to hang other styles of drapes.

Looks like we are going to have to move in the brackets, but at least we can open/close so I think I'll wait until the other brackets for the traverse rod and the fling rods come in and do it right. As it's the bedroom, it's essential to have our privacy every night. Hopefully we can measure better this time.

• kabergs
    16 years ago

Valinsv, the wt's look great! This is an interesting thread, I had no idea how involved the drapery hooks and rings can be.

I'm actually trying to figure out how to use rings with rod pocket drapes without actually clipping the rings to the drapery panel. I'm sure there is, it's just a matter of research.

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Kabergs, I just went through this for my LR. You can use rings by slipping them onto drapery hooks that you insert into the fabric, much like what valinsv did with her pleats.

• kabergs
    16 years ago

kmcg85, did you reinforce the fabric? I thought of doing that but like valinsv was afraid the fabric would tear/rip over time.

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

No, I did not. But my drapes are lined, so that might make the difference. Are yours lined?

• kabergs
    16 years ago

yes, they are. I was thinking of putting the hooks right through the lining, but then thought, no way can I do that. You mean I can? That would just make me very happy!

valinsv, sorry to hijack your thread.

• susan1208
    16 years ago

I read thru all the posts here, but still did not find the answer to my question.
    I am sure this is very simple for most, but can someone please tell me how many rings or hooks are needed on pinch pleats. How far apart are they to be? Also, when hanging these drapes, if I have 36" width drape, how much is the true measurement?

If I need 36 inches, do I need to buy wider?

Thanks
    Susan

• budge1
    16 years ago

V, I too love your window treatments. Are they linen? Can you post a link or give the name of the exact treatments from JCP?

• brutuses
    16 years ago

I ditto Organic's sentiments. Please tell me what a fling rod does?

• gk5040
    16 years ago

Val, you shouldnt have to move the brackets. If they are secure, just lengthen/extend the pole, it appears to be metal so it should be adjustable. The brackets can stay put, you have plenty of leeway to extend the pole 2 to 3 inches on each side. On similar wooden pole sets, they usually set the bracket in a few inches to allow for the final ring and return. When you add a drapery ring between the finials and the bracket it will look fine to add another inch.

• annzgw
    16 years ago

brutuses,
    The fling rod is used for drapery that is hung on a regular rod........not a traverse rod. It prevents having to always grab the fabric in order to open & close the drapery, thus keeping it much cleaner.
    It's also aids in opening drapes that are hung high so that you aren't putting stress on the rod as you pull the drapes open/closed.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I ended up posting my compeleted drapes in a separate thread which I will link below and may answer some of the recent questions above.

brutuses: annz is correct. I bought mine at Calico Corners for $7 ea. Just simple white ones that I clipped into the last ring along with the end hook.

princesssusan: I am no expert, but can just tell you what I ended up doing and observed by looking at other similar treatments at Calico Corners where I bought my custom ones for my LR/DR. I put a ring in each pleat plus one at either end.

budge1: My drapes are from JCP, Supreme, pinch pleated drapes in Silver Sage. I just checked the website and I don't find the colors to be very accurate so if you have a Penneys nearby, I'd check there for the color. I picked them out in the store, but it was a catalog order. See: http://www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?DeptID=25437&CatID=28503&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=ENS&ItemID=130d3d2&ProdSeq=1&Cat=pinch+pleat&Dep=Window&PCat=Drapes&PCatID=28498&RefPage=ProductList&Sale=&ProdCount=17&RecPtr=&ShowMenu=&TTYP=&ShopBy=0amp;RefPageName=CategoryAll%252Easpx&RefCatID=28498&RefDeptID=25437&Page=1&CmCatId=25437:28498:28503

As for the sheers, they are called: Lisette Pinch-pleated sheers in soft gold. I think they may be discontinued now as I didn't see them when I checked the website, though saw this: http://www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?ItemID=13aea97&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=SIZ&ShowMenu=T&ShopBy=0amp;SearchString=Lisette&RefPage=SearchDepartment.aspx&CmCatId=SearchResults&Search1Prod=True

Again, I'd check with your local Penneys.

Here is a link that might be useful: Completed drapes

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz