Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubyclaire1

Ugh...the domino effect.

rubyclaire
9 years ago

You all have been incredibly helpful as I have sought advice about curtains/larger wall options, etc. in this dining room. To recap, this is our second/one day retirement home that I am trying to decorate. It will eventually have white slipcovered chairs around the table. I recently recovered a couple of side chairs and love them�but the botanical prints seem to compete. So�please help me figure out some alternatives as I am growing weary.

Also, I sought advice about what to do about the wall opposite the window � narrow table, artwork, mirror. No one loved the mirror idea but a very reasonable mirror came into my life and it now sits expectantly against the wall. Not sure how this will end for the mirror but my main concern right now is what to do with the space above the new recovered chairs???

Thanks in advance!

Comments (30)

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Photo with mirror...

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I don't think you need anything above the chairs. Can you find another home for the botanicals?

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

If the chairs were at the table all would be well. Are they intended to be decoration rather than chairs pulled up to the table? The mirror looks a bit too big for the space but that might be just because of the angle of the pic.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

See...you all have already seen things that i could not see!

Errant - yes, the botanicals could go somewhere else. It just never occurred to me that nothing could go above the chairs. That's an easy one :)

roses - the plan was for 4 white chairs at the table and these could live there and be pulled in as needed. The mirror is a big "if" but I'm not sure because of its size. Although I will look at it from that perspective if it ends up being a contender.

Thanks!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

The chairs look cramped. They could work with just a Roman shade set inside the window frame. I would cheer if you could remove either the chairs or the sheers.

I love your wall color. Care to share?

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Actually, they do look a little cramped in these photos but I don't seem to notice it IRL. But I should probably try moving the chairs to the table and see how everything looks. I won't be at the house again for a week or so but will try it as soon as i can.

Wall color is the ubiquitous BM Revere Pewter...

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Angling them in the corner might help make them look less cramped :)

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I love your chandelier, ceiling, and your pretty drapes.

If you leave the chairs in the corners, I'd angle them and remove the botanical prints.

Or, you could use the chairs at the ends of the table, with your slipcovered chairs on the sides, and leave the botanical prints where they are.

I don't like mirrors in a DR, if you can see yourself when seated. I don't like the idea of watching yourself eat. I'd look for a big painting for that wall, or hang a collection of plates.

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

Actually I'm not a fan of mirrors in dining rooms. Imagine walking into your room. Seating choices - looking out into the yard or looking at oneself. I know which I'd choose. I think a painting would be better choice for that wall.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No love for mirrors in the dining room - and I so get it. I'm just such a sucker for them!! I'll keep looking, but first I must figure out the chair and print quagmire I'm in.

Thanks for all the great suggestions !

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

Well, I'm not going to be any help because I love it as it is. I think the room will be stunning with the white chairs. Well done.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

The table is begging for a textile, but that is just styling. There was a discussion recently about 'taste' (hush-my-mouth), and without upsetting anyone, can I say that this room has an air of taste about it? I mean that in a good way. But it still feels a little too planned. I like the art above the chairs, though it doesn't need it, I feel the room would be completely ineffectual without something there. I mean, it's all big windows. The type of art shouldn't matter as much either, but If one of those works were a different size or different frame, I would consider this complete. Because the strict symmetry is choking the life out for me. I love how the chairs just fit, as if the room was NOT designed around them, but that life was allowed to happen instead. I might hate it if you had to cover them white to match the others at the table, or angled them to "make them fit".

I have always liked botanical prints, even before they were fashionable. I am reminded of a woman, wish I remembered her name, who made the most amazing and artistic pressed flower pages. More beautiful in form than most abstract paintings. The stem may have a curve that mimicked the breeze, or bent at an angel that created the most interesting form, or splayed out like an amazing kaleidoscope.

The large mirror helps to balance out the two windows and makes perfect sense to me, especially in a dinning room. I love mirrors in dinning rooms, when talking to someone, you can wink at the person reflected in the mirror. Also, if you have candles lit on the table it multiplies them. And if you really aren't comfortable sitting at a table with your own reflection showing over the shoulder of the person across from you, I have to wonder if you should be let out of the house at night ;).

This post was edited by Lilylore on Sun, Jan 11, 15 at 22:05

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

I'd go for the mirror. I have a large mirror in my dining room and I never noticed nor has anyone ever complained about facing it while eating. Everyone is more focused on conversation with others at the table, not on watching themselves eat, Besides, how often do you actually eat there? I think it would look lovely reflecting the window opposite it.

• eastautumn
    9 years ago

Another vote for hanging the mirror, and keeping the rest of the room as is. I think white slipcovered chairs will look great in your beautiful dining room.

• mom2samlibby
    9 years ago

I think it looks wonderful!!!!! Very nice!

• melsouth
    9 years ago

I don't think the chairs look cramped.
    I love the prints above them.
    I think the mirror will look fine - but I love mirrors.
    Beautiful room.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Gorgeous tailored room!! It's so lovely and inviting! Do you have any more of those chairs that are in the corner? I'd love to see them pulled up to the table!

Btw, where did you get your beautiful curtain panels? I'm in love with them!

• amykath
    9 years ago

Btw, I like the mirror. It balances out the windows and will reflect the natural light from opposite window. You couldn't go wrong with the botanicals hanging or leaving the walls bare. The curtains take care of the space so either works in my opinion.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lily - thanks for the mock-up, very helpful! I have had these little botanicals for over 20 years and really like them. They are so small and I would be happy with them in any number of rooms, including the laundry. I do tend to think it may look better with larger single works of something. Was just trying to use what I had. I appreciate your thoughtful input!

K9, almond, nero, mel - thank you so much for your lovely and helpful feedback!

Aktillery - I do have two more of those chairs but they would need to be both refinished & recovered (in pretty lousy shape...they came with this Henredon table that we picked up cheap but I donâÂÂt think they came with the table originally.) We have a refined farmhouse table in our older home and thought we would be using that with its white slipcovered chairs but it wasnâÂÂt going to work in this square room. The chairs will work, though. Funny how much of what we have doesnâÂÂt seem like it will âÂÂworkâ in this new space. I didnâÂÂt plan that wellâ¦IâÂÂm already having anxiety attacks about not being able to find a home for some of my beloved âÂÂthingsâÂÂ. Maybe we need a bigger retirement home. IâÂÂll think about that tomorrow :)

The curtain panels are actually from JC Penney and are a mostly linen blend. Purchased them over a year ago on clearance so not sure if they are still around. Let me know if you want more info.

Thank you all - I really appreciate your perspectives.

• User
    9 years ago

I like the prints where they are; anything larger will look cramped, imo. The chairs are a little bit of a tighter fit than I would like, but that is the space you have for them and it can't be helped; I would leave all that as is.

As for the mirror, the usual function of a mirror is to make a space look larger and lighter by reflecting a window or some other light source. You already have plenty of light in the room so you don't really "need" a mirror. I think you need either a very a large painting or other piece of artwork to place dead center on that wall, or a very slim console with a good sized horizontal painting hanging over it.

The mirror makes a good placeholder while you are looking for the right artwork, which could take years. However, because of the strong rectangular shapes repeated in the room in the windows and the ceiling, if you come across a lovely oval or round mirror that would reference your table and chair backs, I would use that as a placeholder instead. You can always find another place for your beautiful square mirror.

I like the restrained color palette, although on my iPad screen it looks more macadamia nut than pewter, and overall hink you've done very well and are assembling a very pretty dining room!

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks kswl - maybe I can relax about the prints as the opinions on them are mixed however not as much of a negative as I feared. I will try some other things there. I do appreciate your input about the mirror as well...it can serve as a placeholder for now. I really liked the idea of a slim console with artwork but that somehow does feel a bit cramped to me. I have a slim foyer table that I may move to see how it looks. May feel especially cramped when the slipcovered chairs finally make their move.

Our primary home has evolved over the years and reflects the collected nature of such. I don't know why I'm in a hurry to make this new place "home" since it won't be the primary residence for a couple of years. Maybe it's the downsizing thing. Or free-floating anxiety....

Thanks for the all the great advice...much appreciated!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I like the chairs with the prints above. The mirror will work if it can be mounted fairly high. Maybe there is enough room for a console beneath.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

beverly - this mock-up really helps me visualize another option. I had thought about a console but had also thought about an upholstered bench of some sort. I can see that option more clearly now - thanks so much!

• pokyhoky
    9 years ago

I can see why some might not like the prints above the chairs, but I REALLY like them.

• peegee
    9 years ago

A "like" for the chairs, lovely prints and mirror. Lovely.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Not wild about the prints above the chairs. What about sconces with candles in them.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Interesting idea K9...I have my eye on candle scones for another area but never even thought about them above these chairs. Hmm...

Thanks!

• Kitch4me
    9 years ago

Love the room!
    Do you mind sharing the name of the chair fabric?
    Thanks!

• lindanewc
    9 years ago

If you put a bench or console under the mirror, how would there be enough room to scoot your chair out? I think once you get chairs around the table, the space under the mirror will be a moot point.

Btw, I like the botanical prints and think they balance the wall.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kitch - the fabric is Moroccan Floral by Lacefield Designs. I believe it has been discontinued but you may be able to find other sources that would still have some if you were interested. I have purchased several of their prints and they are really quite nice natural fabrics.

linda - seeing the mirror in place just helped me visualize some of the options I was considering. I may just have to load up one of the white chairs and take it over to the house to see for sure how much room there really is for anything other than art or mirror on that wall. Thanks for the thumbs up on the prints!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lacefield