Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hmm, Can i use a sofa table with this?

Posted by mtnrdredux (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 18:17

Hi guys,
Looking at this style sofa today. Note the curve of the back. Would it look odd with a sofa table behind it?

thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hmm, Can i use a sofa table with this?

Fyi here is the sofa table,
 photo Screenshot2014-01-31at61956PM.png

And here is the sofa head-on-ish... to be covered in batik.

o

Two styles are discordant, no? One is so rustic, the other so contemporary.

Hard to say w/o seeing the room they're going in. Is that the upholstery that will be on the sofa? Same stain on the table?

o

Yes, the styles are discordant. The room is eclectic, to say the least. The sofa will be upholstered in a batik in shades of blue. Legs can be whatever I want.

Put aside for the moment the totally different styles; my narrow question really is ....do you think the gap will look weird? There are no many angles you'd see it from but it still concerns me.

Sofa batik shown below. TV lift cabinet will also be in room; same style as the off white trunk --- w medallion.

photo Screenshot2013-12-16at81244PM.png

o

The table is what it is; an antique. It has asian characters written on the drawer fronts. Supposedly a poem. I'll have to ask my Chinese friends. It's probably an Ode to a Gullible American. : )

o

Tibbrix, I would have to say mtn'dux is going for an eclectic look where the two can be combined. My concern is the height~does the table come to within a couple of inches from the top of the sofa? Otherwise, if a drink were to be placed on the table the person would have to *almost* completely turn around and reach over/down to set, making it awkward and possibly at the risk of pulling a ligament. Well maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration. The closer to the top of the sofa the better.

o

IMO the gap will look weird if it is immediately obvious when entering the room. If the room arrangement is such that one does not see that aspect from a distance it might not matter.

o

Hi Patty, the table is 34" high, the sofa is 36". I might be able to play with that a bit; the sofa legs are custom. Of course I can't mess too much with ergonomics.

That said, I have trained my family well that food and drink is only consumed in kitchens and dining rooms. And they comply (we have all white sofas in our family room).

o

Did you sit in the sofa? With the back leaning I wonder how comfortable it is. Other than you would only really be able to place things on the table from the center forward because of the lean of the sofa I think they can look good together. I really like table.

o

Yes, I did sit on the sofa Eandhl. It was quite comfy, to my surprise. I have a narrow set of choices because I can't go more than 85" wide, and Id rather not pay the extra upcharge to have a custom length. My other choice is the one right below. But I think that having three loose cushions across the back will be too much visual clutter, since I plan on throw pillows in contrasting fabric like the exemplar room.

Also, if you look at the room layout, you wont see the side from many angles.
 photo Screenshot2014-01-31at65853PM.png

o

I didn't mean to offend, and I really hope I didn't.

I do think the table will work, dimensionally, so long as the height is right. I don't think the arch in the back of the sofa will matter.

Love the second sofa. I love the English roll arm sofas (I got a new sofa this fall, and it was between the English roll arm or the Hickory Chair Olivier. I went with the Olivier). I do think the more conservative styling of the English roll arm might be a wise choice since it will hold its lines forever and never go out of style.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 19:06

o

No worries, at all Tibbrix. It was a fair question to be sure! Especially if you haven't already seen the images for what I am trying to do.

As a rule, I don't take offense. Maybe I am missing out on some occasions where someone intended to offend, but hey, (some forms of) ignorance is bliss. : )

o

I like the 2nd sofa better. The sway-ish back of the first sofa paired with the sofa table would bug me from the side view. You put such talented thought to everything so I guess I expect more perfection from you : )

o

The curved back would look odd next to a sofa table to my eye. As you say, it wouldn't be seen from many angles, but I think it would still bug me in a room that was mine. In someone else's room I doubt I would ever notice. I prefer the second choice sofa as the three cushions would not register with me as visual clutter. Ymmv.

o

Yes, the english one is a safer bet. But it doesn't work as well with my Pillow Paradigm.

But it's important to the look for me to have at least 4 if not 6 throw pillows. There are two stripes ones, two ikat, and two plain below. And the pillows aren't tiny, like the ones shown on the English sofa.

The jumble of patterns is key IMHO. There is no room physically or visually to put more cushions on when you have the loose cushion back.

By contrast, with the modern sofa, I can easily see, say the two long rectangles in a stripe, and then one on each end in the ikat and a smaller plain one maybe just on one side.

PS Deep apologies to anyone who is sick to death of seeing this room.

o

My first thought was that it would not work, but then I started thinking as I scrolled down that if it is not quite snugged up to the sofa, it would be okay. I think that everything you end up choosing for all your projects always seems to work, so I would say, trust yourself. If you like it, I would bet it will look marvelous when all is said and done.

o

Could you have the loose sofa cushions upholstered like the pillows you seek and then add a few plain ones? It would look pretty cool and be easier to sit on. You could even add some contrasting cording.

o

Timid lurker here, but I'm following this fabulous home makeover with great interest! I love the English roll-arm too and wonder if you've considered it with a tight back. That would eliminate your pillow problem as I think the seat would be deeper. The Mitchell Gold & Bob Williams London sofa comes in two or three lengths.

o

Agree with homeatlast, re: tightback and checking out the Mitchell Gold and Bob Williams London sofa (I've seen it in person, from when I was looking for a sofa). It's beautiful. Wasn't a fan of their fabric choices, though. Did not care for the Hickory Chair English scroll sofa because the back was plain, no seam, and it didn't look right to me.

Also take a look at Lee Industry sofas, including the English scroll arm sofas. They've got some really nice sofas.

o

I think the gap might bother me if it were my house. But it shouldn't. It's a little crazy to be bothered by such things. And coming into yours as a guest it would never bother me.

I realize I said the exact same thing as crl.

What do you call the long pillows that are on the couch now -- or do they even have a special name?

o

I've been on this quest for a while. A sofa between about 80-85 wide, with exposed legs, slipcovered, english arm. There are not many.

MGBW's (my first choice, I have two already) London does not come in the right size (one is too small one is too large). Also not slipcovered, or slip-coverable (the slight curvature of the back won't lay right, I am told)

As for Lee, that second sofa IS Lee ...the only Lee sofa that meets my reqmts. They can't even make it a tight back for an upcharge because the back support and angle would be wrong.

CYn, thanks

JTerri, I thought of that, but I think it looks odd. Ive seen it with some leather/fabric combos but cant imagine it'd work here. Good idea though.

Welcome, timid lurker! The London sofa is so lovely. Note though, that each back cushion has a slight hump at the top. Wreaks havoc with slipcovers on a tight back.

I think the upshot is, most agree that it is suboptimal - as id feared. I guess I need to pick what's most important. I think the front on view of the first sofa will look best, but from the side, the second will look better.

o

Hmm, that's a lot of pillows. Your people are undoubtedly much better trained than my people. But my family would just start dumping them all on the floor when they went to sit on the sofa. So I would actually opt for the three pillow back couch to help obtain the multi-pillow look without having to have so many throw pillows.

o

Gee Jamies, I don't know. Flat bolsters? Cigarette pillows? hmm got me

But I really like them, esp with the idea of using the Batik on the body, and say a Robshaw stripe on the pillows.

o

CRL - a small, handheld cattle prod helps in the training!

If I had the Lee sofa, I could get away w two pillows, max.
On the other one, I can get away with 4 or maybe 5 if the fifth one is pretty small. The two long ones, two large squares on the end, and one that may indeed end up on the floor!

o

I imagine you tried high-end consignment shops for an older sofa (in your size but no longer made) that you could have a slipcover made for. Don’t you just hate it when there is so much out there but not what you need?

o

JTerri,

A total aside, but funny you should mention consignment shops. There are several good ones here in Fairfield County. We also have super Goodwills for clothes shopping; it's become the "in" spot for prep school girls.

Back before the holidays, I was in a local consignment shop. They had a bunch of props from the now defunct All My Children - it was a soap opera? Anyway, I fell in love with this silver tiered tray. It was OTT on one hand (FIVE tiers) but very simple OTOH (no designs or trim). I turned around, LITERALLY, and it was sold.

Today I am in Lillian August, a local home decor store ( i think they are in NY and LA too, very ABC Carpet-y, the founder came from there). Guess what I see? Yup. It was not a new piece so I am sure it is THE same one. For 3x what I could have paid if I had acted immediately.

But to your point in re my sofa quest, I am 1) looking for an odd size and 2) looking for something suitable for slips. That makes it tough.

o

I think the gap will matter and look odd. It would bother me.

o

I think getting a slip to hug that curve and still be removable will be a challenge.

o

Have you considered custom? I was recently able to have a chaise made totally custom (I took in a picture and measurements and they designed my chaise) for about PB prices. I'm on the west coast so my source (Furniture Envy) isn't of any use to you, but perhaps there is something similar in your area?

o

A sofa table with curved legs or a trestle base, or a less sharply rectangular shape, or even a lower shelf, might soften the gap.

o

Well I'm going to be the odd man out here, I love the first sofa in it's uniqueness and beauty of the lines. I also love the sofa table and disagree that it won't work. I think what is making one believe it's wrong is that the lack of color is making it appear stark but add the blue batik and it will embrace warmth and beautiful form. As for the table being rustic or Asian, I don't see it that way at all. I see it as a warm organic piece and one that will compliment the blue so well. We all know Mtn has a natural ability to choose well and she has again imo. I'm a trained artist and competent in understand balance and design and the beauty of mismatching (my word) on purpose to force the eye to only see the appeal of a scene vs what is considered "correct". It takes courage to decorate this way but oh so worthwhile. I'm not saying anyone is wrong or right. Just speaking up for a different way of seeing things.

o

The arch IS the sofa, so why would you hide it with a table?

o

Mtn:
If you're going to slipcover the sofa, then you lose the detail of the English arm. A slipcover would look better on the first sofa. As for the profile of the first sofa, it would be a shame to hide it behind a table.

o

I'd go back to the store, have them place a square-edge sofa table behind the sofa and stage it to get the full effect and see if you can live with the gap.

I think you could pull it off.

Love all your selections, especially the batik pattern and color!

I thought this piece might fit well in your home; I've had my eye on for a couple years but don't have a place for it ... yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nihama Chest

o

I'm curious: since sofa #1 seems to also offer very deep seating, why did you opt against the daybed style sofa shown in your inspiration photo?

o

Yep, like you, there was no food or drink allowed in certain rooms, kids rules only. What about guests, and that exquisite Beaujolais you had sent from France? ;)

As for the 2 sofas, while the 1st one is very sophisticated looking, it looks as though it would seat very deeply, and at 5'2" leave my legs dangling. Longer legs may not be a problem. The Lee sofa looks to be very comfortable, as it seems to have a normal depth, although not as unique as the first. So here we are again, form over function. Now what's your mantra again? lol

o

I just took a second look at your inspiration/compilation board and think that the white slipcovered chair is Pottery Barn's Carlisle. Have you seen the sofa version of the chair? Although it is shown with the loose back cushions, perhaps it could be used without them, particularly since the tight back is straight across (without the dip in the middle). Lengths available are 70, 80 and 90 inch. Just FWIW.

o

Patty,
Buy the first one.
I love it!
It says WOW!
Put what ever table you want with that, it's awesome!

o

Here's a link from Pinterest showing the Carlisle sofa from Pottery Barn without the back cushions. I don't know much about the quality of PB upholstered furniture though . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: PB Carlisle without cushions

o

Bumble, thanks for the vote!

Forboystoo, no, they slipcover that one (zippers) At least all the lines are nice and straight. Id wondered the same thing!

CRL, Yes, but Id rather not. That will up the price another $1500, which I'd rather apply to help to cover the exorbitant batik.

o

HomeatLast, Funny, originally I was going to go with PB Carlisle, very nice sofa.

Howevvvver. The chairs that go with it are ginormous. I feel they are too big for the room. Annnnnd, since there is a lot of pattern and a lot of mismatch going on like the three chairs in the fpl nooks that are PO leftovers, I really think the chairs and sofa need to be a set. So that is how the Carlisle got nixed.

Butterfly, thank you. Did you call me Patty?

Patty Cakes, Yes, height is important to this discussion. When I sat on the sofa in the showroom, I also tried it with the bolsters off. The designer told me she couldn't sit in that way, since she is not very tall. DH is 6'1, I'm 5'9, and our kids are in middle school and still taller then most adults. We try to eschew friendships with people under 5'8, unless they have overwhelming offsetting personal characteristics such as wit, charm or fame.

And Patty_Cakes, you will think me a curmudgeon or worse, but ... I only serve red wine in our dining room (slate floor no rug) or at outdoor parties! I already had a rug incident with red wine once. Remember, form over function!

Jujubean, You mean the one with what appear to be cane or wood sides? A few reasons. One, not so comfy. Two, my room has plenty of dark wood for contrast, so I skipped it on the sofa. Three, goodness knows where its from.

BTW, yes, of COURSE, brilliant! I need to go back to the store and drag a table over. Great idea, will do.

The Nihama chest is terrific. I can see why you have a crush on it. Because of all the dark panelling, the only other casegood will be a white asian inspired cabinet w TV lift, echoing the white trunk.

Suero, The sofa with the rolled arm --- that is from the Lee Coveralls line; the photo you are seeing is with slipcovers.
You make a good point about the table kind of "hiding" the detail of the sofa. Hmmm

Hi Jamies, The table is purchased.

May, because I own the table and bought it for the room and really want it. If I have to choose, the sofa loses.

Yayaga, You are extraordinarily kind. Thank you! And I am so glad you like it. I know that what I am trying to do in this house, not only this room, will not be everyone's cup of tea. In fact, I would expect the end result will cause more then a few guests to furrow their brow or at least cock their heads! And that's totally ok. In fact, among GW'ers, it's really useful to hear when they don't like something because they usually say why, and it might be a new perspective that is useful to me.

o

The table and sofa are both beautiful, but here is What happens at our house: the two pieces sometimes drift Into each other, and the sharp corners poke the back of the sofa that leans back over the table. Takes vigilance on our part to correct it, and some of us here are more vigilant than others cough cough dear son. Look for a sofa whose backside is a bit straighter.

o

I love the first sofa. It is gorgeous! I am having a hard time visualizing the table behind it because the legs of the table will be lost in space. Just a thought and not sure it would work, but you could put a couple of large baskets (or anything you like) under the table, on the floor to give the illusion that the legs are not as far from the sofa. Also, it would look nice to fill in that large gap.

I would definitely go back and set up a mock table behind the sofa to see what you think..

I hope it works as I adore that sofa!!

o

I think you can get away with it as long as you stick with that layout. There appear to be few spots in the room where you would be looking at the sofa and table directly from the side -- that's where the gap will look weird. I love it and the fabrics are divine!

o

Edeevee,
Good point. The sofa has to float because of the window heights, doorways, etc. Any other position feels like an obstacle when you walk in...

BP, does it dig into the sofa fabric? these corners are rounded because it is sort of beat up (supposedly 150 yrs old(

AT, I think the baskets are a great idea! Glad you like the sofa, I do too.

o

Oh I love the first sofa, not sure it will work with the table but even if you did not like the two together the curve of the sofa and its lines are interesting and pretty enough to float alone. I would forgo the lovely table to have the first sofa! The second choice is nice but very expected. Your first one is exceptional, like I know your home will be, in that it is somewhat classic( with its wingback shape) yet very unique with its bend.

o

The sofa is leather, the table ends curl up just a bit, it's MCM. The table sits between the sofa and the window, butts up to the wall. So when someone plops onto the sofa or leans their feet agains the ottoman, the sofa pushes back against the table. Looking right now I can see an indentation where the edge of the table hits, and dimples from the corners. They have not poked through yet in 10years. .

o

The table is on its way on a pallet somewhere, so that's a done deal, but glad you like the sofa !

o

I think the first sofa would be a wonderful focal piece and statement in the LR. It can be your muse, whereas the second sofa is really nice, but safe. I don't think the table works particularly well behind the first sofa. I would be bothered by the gap and the competing lines of the curved back of the sofa and the straight lines of the table. Is your room plan drawn to scale? It seems to me that with the combo of the first sofa and the table you would be taking up a lot of floor space to fit the table behind the sofa (b/c of the curve of the sofa back). Could that table go in front of the staircase?

I love the risks you are taking with this house - it is going to be wonderful!

o

We try to eschew friendships with people under 5'8, unless they have overwhelming offsetting personal characteristics such as wit, charm or fame.

I'll keep that in mind...
;)

o

I like the first sofa, love the second, and you can have a handy person re-shape the back two corners of the table to fit better behind the first sofa if you want. It wouldn't fit anywhere else after you modified it, but if / when you sell the furniture will probably convey anyway. You can find a stain that closely matches your console table and the newly routed wood on those rear edges can be distressed easily with a hammer and bicycle chain.

Love all the fabrics, but I do have a question.... Why get a tight back sofa only to lavish pillows upon it? The first thing a person does when sitting down on a sofa with a bunch of "throw" pillows is to move them aside to sit down. Are you doing those flat type pillows for the fabric impact only?

o

You could hide the gap with something if it bothers you. Sit a statue or fat vase there.

I love the lines of the sofa!

o

Mtn, I think the first sofa is so much more appropriate for a batik than the second, which is suitable for a more conventional solid or conservative pattern. That first sofa is *made* for batik!

I'm not familiar with slip construction other than standard fitting, but perhaps the back of the slip could have a bit more drape... so that it sort of flows down from the top of the back of the sofa, perhaps lessening the gap between the sofa and table. Corner ties or buttons would still keep it from being sloppy.

Otherwise, I would risk the gap... in your layout, it won't be highlighted, and, again, I think the lines of the first sofa are so much more in line with the look you're seeking. Good luck!

o

This is such a non-issue! Search on house "table behind sofa" and you will see all shapes of sofas paired with all shapes of tables. I was looking for the gap in the photos and in real life when you walked into these rooms you would never notice this as an issue. Get the darn sofa ordered now so you have a chance to get in before summer is over!

o

So I just spent longer than I should have browsing sofa tables at Houzz. There are a lot of sofas with angled backs that have sofa tables pushed up against them. There's a gap at the bottom, but no one seems to mind. I only found one sofa with a curved back, but the sofa table seemed to work well with it.

Here's my take--I like the first sofa the best, which is surprising to me as I usually don't like that style of curved arm. But the way the back is curved to echo the front of the arm makes the sofa work for me in an interesting way. The batik seems made for it.

And I like the table. I think the sofa/table combination has a lot of contrasts going--the somewhat streamlined lines of the sofa, the ethnic feel of the batik and multiple patterns, the curves of the sofa and the straight lines of the table, the crisp lines of the sofa and the worn edges of the table. I see the contrast between the curve of the back and the straight legs of the table as fitting into the pattern of contrasts that have been created. I think the combination would fit in with an eclectic room.

I'd keep the table a couple of inches away from the back of the sofa, to make it less of a "sofa table" and more of "this is a table we placed here because it looks perfect here."

The second sofa is nice. I wouldn't mind having it in my living room. But the first sofa takes things up a notch.

o

Ha! You are so right, chispa! I just did a google image search for this... lots of gaps, everywhere.

o

I probably missed something but is the sofa table behind the sofa really the only place to set down a drink? That seems awkward to me. And your "coffee table" is an ottoman so can't set a drink down there? (I know kids aren't allowed drinks, but how about guests?) I'm just wondering if a coffee table may not be a better idea. I'm worried about where I'll set down my white wine when I visit...I'm only 5'2" but I think I'd win you over with my wit and charm. I just know if I have to reach over the back of the sofa, I'm going to spill a bit. Especially when reaching over all those big pillows...

o

Depending upon the extent of overhang of the sofa back over the table top, it could cut the useful space of the table in half. That would be a concern to me. If the table is pulled so far out from the table that there's no overhang at all, then you have two freestanding pieces of furniture instead of a unit of sofa/ table.

Mtn, I had to laugh....I realized I have exactly the five tiered serving piece you pictured above! I bought it at a consignment shop for $90... when DH saw it he asked if somebody was getting married at our house, lol! I couldn't resist, it is perfect for a buffet because it gives height to the table, and here it is pictured with another serving dish that was, ahem, a bit more....the glass one looks like I am planning to open a patisserie. In the background, extra card tables for seating and serving....yes, "overkill" is my middle name.

o

I'm 5'4" and, at my age, probably shrinking. My legs are short. Although the first sofa is beautiful, all I can think about is how either my legs would dangle (and that isn't comfortable or particularly dignified looking) or I would need several pillows behind me so I could sit erect with my feet on the ground.

Anyway, however I'd sit (if indeed I were allowed into the house...kidding), and if I had a drink (okay, white wine) or something to nibble on, I would NEVER think to set it down *behind* me. Esp. with a drink it seems awkward and a recipe for disaster. I would need a coffee table in front of me, if there weren't end tables right beside me.

o

A thought on red wine. If it is spilled spill white wine right on top. I have heard this will prevent staining and make the red spot disappear. Have never needed to try it despite many parties with both red and whites served. Maybe, I should try an experiment. :)

o

Mtn'dux, happy to hear you're getting the table, now get the sofa already! If a sofa could talk, it would be staying, "you had me at hello". lol Are you losing sleep yet? ;)

o

Here is a photo I found. The sofa and table gap is such a non issues, really we see this all the time! First impression is "wow, great windows and light". After spending a few minutes looking at the room there are plenty of things I would change or add to the room, but the sofa and table work just fine. In real life, you would be sitting down and not even notice the table.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz photo

o

I prefer the first sofa - it will look lovely with the batik. I agree that the second sofa would be visually too busy if you were to add more pillows and patterns. As for the table with the first sofa, I don't see that as a problem.

Good luck!

o

Zen, thank you!

Chispa, that photo is perfect! How ever did you find it. Thanks so much for your input.

Patty, HaHa. I visited the sofa today, and I have decided it's a go. My salesperson is in tomorrow.

Cyn, That's funny!

Linelle, The sales person was probably about 5'2 or so, and she sat on it fine. But, unlike me, she would not be comfortable without the bolsters. Some of us have built-in bolsters...

Of course we could also have a sign in the driveway; "You must be THIS tall to sit in the Living Room"

When we entertain adults, it's usually in the DR, maybe with a bar or app.s set up somewhere. Or, especially in this case, the verandah or screened porch or even poolside. By contrast, my family has gotten used to putting their feet up just about everywhere, and so we really use ottomans. That takes priority. In a pinch, a solid tray on top of the ottoman can allow it to play like a coffee table when needed.

KSWL, The table is pretty narrow for starters so hopefully I don't have to mess with it. I saw your picture and had to laugh! Especially because --- your raised glass pastry display --- umm, I have one of those, too! Only mine is just one level.

Re "the first thing everyone does when ...". I think that would be true if I threw a bunch of pillows on the second sofa. But this sofa is so deep, you need and want the pillows. We have a very deep sofa here in our family room, and everybody uses the pillows.

SueB, Yes, you are right the only place for a sofa sitter to place their beverage would be the sofa table. See my response to Linelle, in re: Tray Trick. But, if the sofa table ends up being used the way I use a sofa table here, the table will be where i keep my book and a bottle of water (when it's not staged of course).

Camlan, I love your analysis of this! Thank goodness for GW, where we can all overthink this stuff together! I have to remember "pattern of contrasts".

Peony, The salesperson called it "mattress like" and I think that might be why it will work so much better with the Batik! Thanks. As for the slipcovering, that did occur to me as well; create an illusion of a straight back. Ties or buttons could be very cool and boho, too!

Lazy, I could see a big buddha there or a collection of ginger jars?

Annie, you are in. No worries. I thought you were taller. Must be more careful.
: )

MarinaGal, Thank you for the compliment! As for the sofa table and sofa, yes, they are to scale. There is about 6' between the back of the table and the doors. The table is too long to go anywhere else, not to mention that I do want the function of it in that space, as well.

PS I will have an overhead light in the room. I was leaning toward something with capiz, but also influenced by the very airy modern brassy one in the Exemplar Room (scroll up). That would be too tall; ceilings are 8'9". I came across this chandelier used in front of a sofa, and I love the way it sort of visually disappears. The finish is a little imperfect, a tad distressed. I will make sure to pick up both metals elsewhere in the room. Don't say I didn't warn you; it's Hot-Mess-Eclectic.

o

Another pic of the chandy, in much the same way we would use it, ie in the seating area (though not as a pair). It would be centered over the ottoman.

o

This was originally my lighting choice:

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 19:52

o

Oooh, love the way this is shaping up!

Also, I love that mirror in the last pic. I have just the place for it!

o

It's such fun to watch your rooms take shape! I love the sofa and the table. My initial impulse was to suggest putting baskets or something in the gap, but Chispa's photo brought clarity. Let the angles show!

I don't know where you come up with the unique pieces you use or the vision to pull them together, but it sure is fun being a spectator.

o

Yeaaaaaaaa! Now see how easy that was~you just can't always listen to us, especially me. I tend to be very bossy. Haha

As for your first choice light fixture, excuse me, but for some reason I feel it won't bother you if I say it's gawd awful. ;)

o

Patty, I know I need to be thick skinned with these choices I am making.

Just so i am sure, which one do you think is "gawd awful"? The modernistic one or the capiz one?

And nope, I don't mind at all.

o

I'm not even sure how to describe it, but your inspiration room makes me think of this kind of chandelier. (Sort of a birdcage-Moroccan hybrid maybe?)

Here is a link that might be useful: Chandelier

o

Crl, no, I can totally see that in the space. Love the shape. The only thing is, in the Exemplar, they took the opportunity to diverge from the style with the chandy. So I am contemplating that too.

o

I want you to do a mock-up of the sofa with the arch back in situ. That would keep me awake at night until I saw it and "fixed" it or abandoned the idea. I think you have done a marvelous job and sofa is a major piece of your decor, so get it right. I'm pulling for you and otherwise, I would not have said so.

o

Love how it's coming together.
Couple of things. If you're sitting there with a bottle of water and a book, chances are, if you're like me, you're also sprawled somewhat sideways with your feet up on the sofa and the convenient place to reach for water is on a table behind the sofa, not turning to reach in front of it.
I've had a large upholstered ottoman in front of my sofa (back when I was in a house) for years. A tray works.
If you spill red wine, immediately pour club soda on it. (not white wine, that seems like a recipe for one disaster on another). I know it works. I had a formal dining room with a tabriz rug - white ground - and creamy white full draperies. A bumbling guest (my former brother in law) launched a full glass of red wine, drenching the rug and flying 4 ft to include the drapery. Got out the club soda and started pouring, then started sopping it all up, and amazingly, no stains.The drapery fabric was a soft cotton sateen, bordered by a contrast band. If they'd been silk it would have been all over, but you're not putting silk in your living room. So have the glass of red on your cotton slipcover and don't sweat it.

I like the metal chandy better for your living room. I think the shell looks almost too delicate. I just took delivery on a similar, smaller shell pendant for our powder room, and IRL it doesn't have a lot of visual weight.

Did you ever find the source for the blue print fabrics in your inspiration pic? I think I missed it if you posted. Would love to know the source of the pillow fabric, looks as if it matches the wallpaper.
And last, just FYI, the sofa in the inspiration pic is very similar to the one in the Tommy Bahama Royal Kahala collection by Lexington. I saw it in a store in New Smyrna Beach last year and fell in love with it. If I can handle that much visual weight in my living room it may be coming to live at my house. It too is deep. And I'm 5'9 ... so it's all good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Turtle_Bay_sofa

o

I adore that Turtle Bay sofa, mlweaving. I've been searching for the right piece to use on my veranda, and this may be it. Thanks for posting.

o

Here's a photo of another sofa in that collection, the Bay Club Sofa, shown with blue pillows. I prefer the caning and curved arms on the Turtle Bay, but this is a good visual of how it looks paired with blue.

o

Mlweaving,
I'm glad you like the metal chandy. I thought it was pretty out there, so it's nice to hear some seconds.
Funny, I was just reading about stain removal and I read that club soda is "no better and no worse" then plain water!?
As for the sofa, my room has something the exemplar does not --- miles of dark wood panelling. For that reason I was specifically not looking for anything in the rattan/cane/wood family. In addition, the screened porch adjoining has a rattan sofa, and the front porch does, too. I felt the LR should be different.

Patricia, between the perfect photo Chispa found for me, and my own due diligence I did on site yesterday at the store, I am over the question of sofa/sofa table harmony. But thanks!

o

Oh I forgot to say, the fabrics I am using are from Quadrille. I may use some Robshaw too.

My quest was for the W/T fabric. The photo is from a 2009 Verandah mag, which I bought. But it only says Ralph Lauren, and I think it is a pinstripe but I'm not sure.

o

Mtn, that is so funny (tier tray)! Around here a few short years ago one could get some real nice things on CL. Now there are many 2nd hand / consignment shops that one is in competition for snagging the good stuff for a deal. I am both a CL troll and used furniture/consignment shopper so I often see things that were on CL marked up several times their original price. I have also seen some things from thrifts end up in higher-end consignments at astronomical prices.

o

Thanks for the fabric info mtn. I knew you didn't want the wood framed sofa, I was just answering the "besides, where would I find it comment"....and I love the sofa. I get why you wouldn't want it in your room with all your wood paneling.
Not to hijack, but Jujubean, the one I actually saw in the store in FL is this one
, when we didn't even know we'd be building. I took the pic so I'd remember what it looked like. Found out a year later it was discontinued, so I'm glad to see this one, which obviously took it's place in the collection. I like the one I saw better for several reasons, including the single cushion, but oh well.

Re the chandy, it looks to me slightly Moroccan with the motifs in the ring. Goes well with the ikat and wallpaper.

o

I really like the brass light and think it will be better than the capiz shell one, which looks slightly messy to me. Love the contemporary vibe you are creating!

o

Mtn, glad the photo helped. I just took a few extra minutes to keep scrolling on houzz to find the best example ... I just wanted to show that it really was a non-issue.

One thing that did bother me was that in many cases the sofa table seemed to be jammed up against the sofa. I think it needs 1-3" of breathing room, depending on size/shape of the sofa and table ... they need to be connected but not conjoined!

o

Haven't had a chance to read through all 80+ posts and this may go against all "decorating rules" but if the table you ordered just doesn't work behind the sofa, would an option be to use it behind the two chairs?

o

Arapaho, that's a kind of cool idea. I don't know if Ive seen that. I will give it some thought!

o

Here's a photo from Phoebe Howard that shows a console table flanked by two chairs - could the chairs be placed in front of the table, angled or not, replacing the ginger jars with a lamp centered on the table?

o

A sofa table is just a console, after all. It can go anywhere.

o

Another photo from House Envy:

o

The photos you have chosen are so beautiful I am totally distracted! I also love the lil' stools, that could come in handy. Not to mention they would be fun to select fabric for!

I am fine with the table behind the sofa, but i now feel I have two choices!

thanks

o

Your table can accommodate those stools and they could be used as ottomans for the chairs or just extra seating which is typical. Another opportunity to play with fabric. Btw, love the chandelier you've chosen.

o

I would flip the sofa and the chairs to show off the great Asian piece. I love the writing characters on it.

o

Funny you should mention that kitschy, I was going to ask mtn if her positioning of sofa was for the view out the front windows?

o

Arapaho,
Thank you! I am pleased and a little surprised that people like the chandy, which I view as unconventional for the room.

A, and K
If I switched spots, then, upon entering the front door, one would be faced with the back of the sofa. I always feel that closes off a room.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here