Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

What period/style is this table?

weedyacres
9 years ago

And what product(s) could you use to restore its sheen?
{{gwi:2139450}}

Comments (10)

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Looks like teak. Scandenavian modern. If it's teak, a good teak oil will resore it.

The direct link won't let me put the link there.

I'll come back and edit this post when I can post the link to one like it.

Edited to add link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Teak table

This post was edited by maddielee on Thu, Jan 22, 15 at 18:23

• Lars
    9 years ago

I think it could be American early 1960s. Check the underside to see if there is a mfg marking - often they are burned into the wood.

I use Method to clean and polish wood. Teak oil is more difficult to maintain and must be done outside. Using Method will not harm the wood and is a good first start. I used to use Murphy's oil soap and then Old English oil, but that takes two steps, and I actually prefer the results from a once over with Method. It depends somewhat on what the existing finish is.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Publickman, which Method product?

• weedyacres
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bummer. So it won't really fit in my 1920s house? :-(

$40 on CL.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

weedy this table won't fit, but what is the style of your home? Mission, bungalow, Georgian, Colonial, Farmhouse which one? That will make a difference.

• weedyacres
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The house is a worker's cottage. Here's the living room/dining room:
    {{gwi:2139452}}

{{gwi:2139453}}

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

Weedy! The cottage is looking great! Congratulations!

Style aside, I think you need a little darker wood, so the table doesn't get lost on the floor.

• kidrowlam
    9 years ago

This table seems oakwood to me however i am not very sure about it. A teak oil or wood oil with sheen will be great for it. These days many home makers are also putting vinyl clothes over it.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Why wouldn't it fit in? Wasn't that house around in the '60s?

I think it would be fine. Maybe it's a little too delicate for your furniture but the sizing is hard to tell.

I do have pretty bad taste though. :)

• Lars
    9 years ago

Linelle, here is a review of Method Wood for Good furniture polish. It does not work on all finishes, but if you are using furniture wax or other polish, you can switch to this. It is not as shiny as the Old English Oil, but it does not leave a sticky or oily residue that attracts dirt. It gives the wood a sort of matte finish, which I am happy with. I used teak oil on my outdoor teak dining table, and this gave it a very shiny finish, but it requires a lot of upkeep, takes a long time to dry, and smells horrible. I would only use it outdoors. I did put teak oil on a small butcher block table that is in my kitchen, but I have to take it outside to add the finish.

Lars