Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloenkitty_gw

To tuft or not to tuft. That is the question.

chloenkitty
9 years ago

I am finally getting around to ordering seat and back cushions for the banquette in our kitchen. My inspiration pic has a tufted back. That is what I have been attracted to, but it's a few hundred dollars more. The fabric is a pale blue. This will mainly be used by my husband and I (no kids) at breakfast and dinner time. Any opinions on going with the tufted or plain back? Thank you.

Attached pic is from inspiration kitchen.

Comments (24)

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the actual banquette in our kitchen
    (By the way I have got to share pics of our new build since it's now finished)

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Since your kitchen looks to be more on the formal side rather than rustic, I would opt for the tufting.

Would love to see your new build! I've experienced that excitement and it's almost as exciting as having a baby w/o the pain! ;)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Tufted would be perfect for that gorgeous kitchen :)

• rubyclaire
    9 years ago

I would say go for the tufting. Your space is really pretty!

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. Is there a way of adding several pics at once instead of one at a time so I can post pics of the house?

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. Tufting would be fitting in your kitchen, but I like Julie's idea of piping...you could even use the same fabric as your roman shade over the sink for the piping.

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

You need a photo sharing account .

• Lars
    9 years ago

Here are some other options. I like the one with three horizontal channels.

• caminnc
    9 years ago

Tufting would be beautiful in your BEAUTIFUL formal kitchen! From my experience, tufting is not all that easy, so make sure you get someone with lots of experience. I am totally jealous!!!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

chloe

Beautiful kitchen. I agree with tufting.
    (Even if some advise against it since it may need more thorough vacuuming - to 'clean' the tufts. But that's if there are children and/or pets around).
    You said it's pale blue fabric - I believe solid color? (or small pattern).
    As in your inspirational pic, it would look elegant.
    Rina

• Fori
    9 years ago

Yes to tufting! But also yes to piping--it'll dress it up almost as well.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

Chloenkitty, I just thought you were waiting on the fine details before we could see your reveal.

You need to open a Photobucket account. Once your pictures are all put up in Photobucket, it is not too hard to add many at a time. Even I was able to do it and I am very un techy. It took a few tries before I got it. If you already have a photosharing profile, I think you should make one just for sharing here.

By all means choose the tufts.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

It's a tuft decision!
    ;)

But I'd say you certainly can go with tufting...it would be lovely. And I think the soft blue will be perfect.

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

Kitchen, so gorgeous and tufting so elegant. But same commitment you must have made re: maintenance of a white kitchen applies to tufted furniture. You have to regularly clean tufted indentations b/c they fill up fast with dust, crumbs, pet dander etc. The lighter the fabric or leather, the more necessary this chore becomes. A DustBuster with wand attachment becomes your best friend.

• carolt924
    9 years ago

Tufting = No
    Piping = Yes

• cran
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is lovely, I love the tufting look. Hope you can post more pic:~)

• User
    9 years ago

Tufting, definitely. You can keep them clean with an unused paintbrush that is the right size for the tufts....a good brushing (no pressure applied, which will just lay down the bristles and you want to use the tips only) every week or as needed will keep dust from building up, and dust holds crumbs.

You may consider having the fabric glazed if you dont tuft. And regardless of which style you pick i would have the fabric treated with Microseal before fabrication.

• tracie.erin
    9 years ago

I love tufting, and I think it would be perfect in your kitchen.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

That is one lovely kitchen! Tufting would look wonderful, but if you go with piping, why not use the shade material for the piping?

• ttodd
    9 years ago

I used to love tufting until I ended up w/ a pair of velvet tufted wingbacks. I hate cleaning the pet hair out of the tufted parts. I'm going to assume though that if you do have pets that they will not have a place setting at the table w/ you though so it could be a non-issue. My other issue w/ the tufting was that the seats were tufted and therefor attracted crumbs and hair. But you are only looking at tufted backs so that is a moot point.

• lisa_mocha
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is stunning!!
    Either would work, but another vote for tufting in that gorgeous space:)

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Tuft.

• LeeMiller
    9 years ago

Tufting! I love tufting so much I had to ban myself from buying anymore tufted furniture.... Well maybe one more....

Besides your lights + tufting = lovely.