Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauren0319

What "art" would you hang on these entry-way walls?

lauren0319
9 years ago

I am really struggling with this and it's driving me insane. I have these two thin and fairly tall walls flanking our dining room (also to be redecorated so not tied to any specific colors right now.)
The walls are the first thing you see and this is basically our entry way. Right now I have family pictures but I know I need MORE. I'd like to move the family/wedding photos into smaller halls and going up our stairs. I think I'd like something more abstract. However, my style and home are traditional.
I feel like the walls call for 3 large "prints" each, hanging vertically. Like pretty good sizes. Like the size of our wedding picture (on the left wall.) But prints of what? It this were a beach home, I could do something be beachy. But it's not :/
What would you hang on these walls? Inspiration pics would be really appreciated!
Thanks so much!

{{gwi:2139430}}

{{gwi:2139431}}

{{gwi:2139432}}

Comments (33)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Do you have any particular likes or dislikes?

• User
    9 years ago

I think what you have on each wall is both too large and too small :-) how's that for a paradox? The single print on the left side is too big and should have a mate. The two photos on the right are too small, both singly and severally, and should be hanging one above the other.

Can you find four related prints or photos (not family photos, I agree with your decision to move them out of the public area) that are about half again as large as one of the photos on the right? Hang two on each side, one above the other. Alternatively, if you collect exotic scrolls or textiles, you could mount long, narrowish ones on either side. Or antique gameboards, or anything else you might collect.

These are short walls so you don't want to visually overload them, but they do frame your dining room very nicely and would look wonderful with some arrangement of interesting art, correctly sized and placed. Your house is lovely!

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    9 years ago

palimpsest- not really. My style is pretty traditional. I'd like something that looks nice/good quality since it's pretty much the first thing you see when you enter our home.
    We don't collect or have any specific hobbies. We love culture/Europe, outdoors and nature.... we're in S. Texas fwiw. I'm okay with abstract or cool designs.

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your ideas kswl. I know exactly what you mean about the sizes of what I already have hanging there and I totally agree.
    I think I'm stuck because we don't really collect anything of have anything to hang that *means* something to us. I feel like that makes us terrible and boring people, lol We're not! But can't hang martinis or travel visas. ;)

• Lars
    9 years ago

I would hang something like this, but I'll bet that you have different taste from me.

Is that the Alamo in the background of your first picture?

Lars

• User
    9 years ago

Wouldn't it be great if you could hang martinis, lol!

But with respect to travel, there is a wide scope of artwork available that ties into your interest. Prints from a particular country, abstracts from an artist from that country, or interesting textiles from that area of the world (like a suzani) or even prints of old travel brochures from countries you've visited.

I collect travel prints (airline prints mostly) and have them lining a corridor and in my home office. They are colorful and happy, but a little less formal than you'd want at your entrance.

If you like abstract art there is NOTHING wrong with just finding harmonious prints or paintings in colors you like. I know there's some disdain out there (not on GW, but in the real world) directed at selecting art because it goes with a sofa. IMO it's as valid a reason as any other---and far more practical than "choosing something you love" only to find out it looks terrible displayed in your house!

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    9 years ago

Browse around art.com until you find something that means something to you.
    Using consensus to choose art feels very corporate, lol.

• cawaps
    9 years ago

Chinese scroll painting:

{{gwi:2139433}}

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

How about something with local interest? A Texas artist or something scenic that's clearly Texas?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Love your wall color. Do you know what it is?

I'd probably try to go for something difference, like cawaps scroll.

Or some kind of wall sculpture

Here is a link that might be useful: Abstract wall sculpture

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Totally the Alamo. And it's the real deal; we were married before photoshop ;)
    So maybe a unique mirror on the left and something like these prints on the right? I don't love them; they're fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ivies and Ferns prints from art.com

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

How about some tall matching wall panels?

Here is a link that might be useful: wall panels

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I also really really like these but a big he!! no for the price.

My house has a lot of wood so I'm trying to stay away from anything too dark or "woody."

Casual elegance (is that an oxymoron??) is the style I'm going for. Clean lines, traditional....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn

• luckygal
    9 years ago

I did a quick google search and found a lot of 'cowboys and cattle' art which is not likely what you are looking for! However there are many artists at the link below who do other types. Not necessarily expensive - I found some that were under $200.

If you have a fairly decent camera you might take your own photos and have them professionally printed and framed. Or frame them yourself for more cost savings.

Please, unless you live in the back-of-beyond with no amenities, look at local galleries, college art shows, perhaps even antique stores for more unique offerings. Your house is too nice for wall decor from PB and the other chains. I know I probably sound like a snob but I would never want the same wall decor as thousands of others have in their homes. I much prefer originals. Having said that I do have a couple of prints but they don't compare with original art.

Here is a link that might be useful: artists of texas

• voila
    9 years ago

Here is a link to an Etsy seller (from Houston, TX) who has vintage prints. The French hummingbirds are pretty, and only $9.90 unframed. Ballard Design may still have garden design prints. Also check Etsy for vintage garden design prints.

Here is a link that might be useful: OldAgePrints-Etsy

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

You can do better than that. Go to local galleries, there will be a variety of styles in original and reproduction "giclee" prints for reasonable prices. Find something that speaks to you. If you find one, you can move the wedding picture to the right side with the other two pictures until you find another treasure. You might look at antique stores for architectural pieces.
    Your home is beautiful, you'll find something.

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@voila I do like those hummingbird prints a lot! I like that they're in a multitude of colors too. I think if they were really nicely framed they would be really neat!

• voila
    9 years ago

So glad you like them, Lauren. Pretty colors without being loud. Being copies of vintage prints, you won't see them everywhere. There are other Etsy sellers who sell vintage prints, also. Have fun, and best of luck.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Random thought just because this is what filled my niche for "art." Old ceiling tin tiles. Found ours at a monthly local antiques market. They came in a variety of colors. (Please excuse the unstyled photo.)

• jlc712
    9 years ago

A pair of mirrors like the attached link might be nice, while you keep an eye out for art you really like.

Here is a link that might be useful: mirrors

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Black and white photographic prints of places you have traveled to or been to.

Find small local gift stores or art galleries that might carry local artists and then research them and find prints that you local. Combine a few of them.

• bpath
    9 years ago

In a dining room, there is a lot going on with chair backs, lots of legs, a centerpiece or sideboard decor, so a couple of pieces on the walls flanking it are competition. Something the dimensions of a scroll would frame the DR nicely, and a textile would set off the wood and warm up the entryway.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

A pair of vertical pieces of art to walk you up the stairs to the dining room would make a statement.

• green-zeus
    9 years ago

You have a beautiful house. Go to www.greatbigcanvas.com and look at their art work. There's so much to choose from that you may get truly inspired. They have vertical wall art there. Bed Bath and Beyond has great art too--metal art work, tiled art work,etc.

I'm working on my kitchen right now and have a hallway that leads from the kitchen to the garage. In that hallway, I plan on using travel posters of the national parks--sort of giving the suggestion of "travel" as you're heading out to the car in the garage!!! If you like that sort of idea, www.allposters.com has many nice ones.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Since your wedding picture has a reference to the Alamo and you live in texas, below is a print on wood, good size and totally appropriate. It would definitely cause a conversation with guests entering the house.

Here is a link that might be useful: The alamo

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Love Beverly's last one. Colors are great on that wall.

• eveningbreeze
    9 years ago

How about some elegant black iron scroll work? There are scads of varieties and they are often the perfect solution for a wall that needs that certain "something". (The photos are from my home.)

I recommend choosing art that a) reflects your interests and b) makes you happy every time you see it.
    You said you can't your hang travel visas and martinis, but why not? You could frame your travel visas and arrange them under a large matte. For the martinis, you could either buy a painting or print of them or literally frame some martini classes in a shadow box.

You might also consider vintage travel posters from places you love or that you've already been to.

Your home is very nice!

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

I wouldn't hang art. I'd hang sconces. And/or eveningbreezes' black iron scrollwork.

• louisianapurchase
    9 years ago

I would do Chinese silk scrolls as Cawaps suggested for a more formal feel. Or if you prefer a less formal feel and depending on how much texture you like or need, I would do Native American baskets indigenous to your area or African Kuba textiles framed. Or lastly, black and white images of favorite travels framed very cleanly.

• Lauren0319
    9 years ago

I'm still stuck on this. Wdyt about 2 mirrors, matching. One on each wall? What shape would you do? I actually don't have any decorative mirrors downstairs.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

My thought was hefty sconces with flame less candles.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I love antique or antique looking maps. Perhaps you can find one of Texas or a specific location in Texas. Maybe grab two and hang one on top of the other and hang a mirror on the other side. Try metkers.com

• User
    9 years ago

Would not use mirrors. Or any kind of scroll-y metal stuff. Why not just wait until you find the perfect thing?