Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bac717gw

I need help finding lamps for our MBR

bac717
14 years ago

I have wanted to change the lamps on the nightstands in our master BR for a long time, but what I'm looking for seems to be difficult to find. I'm picturing something ceramic in an ivory color in a classic shape such as a ginger jar or along those lines. I've done some searching on a few sites like Bellacor and LampsPlus and have found a few candidates, but before I proceed any further, I'd like some opinions on whether or not I'm heading in the right direction.

First of all, here's the space I'm working in. The current lamps are 25" tall. Do you think that's the right size? The coverlet on the bed is matelasse and is a slightly darker ivory color. The shams and bedskirt are a black and off-white very small check. Do you think an ivory would be a good color for the lamps? How about black? I have a feeling the black would be too much.

{{!gwi}}

Here are a few of the lamps I found while looking. They are all between 25" and 26" tall.

I like the shape of this one, but am not sure about the color.

http://www.bellacor.com/productdetail/505150.htm

I love everything about this lamp, except it's only available in red.

http://www.lumenlamps.com/TableLamps/DisplayProduct.asp?PartNumber=429

This is the first one I found, but I think the color may be too white and it's not as traditional as I would like.

http://www.lampsplus.com/Products/Robert-Abbey-Ariel-Glazed-Ceramic-Lily-White-Table-Lamp__36451.html#readreviews

Am I heading in the right direction or do you see something completely different here? Thanks so much.

Barb

Comments (11)

• deeinohio
    14 years ago

I really like your first choice. A manufacturer you might want to look at is Wildwood. They have some beautiful traditional lamps. Stay away from Sedgefield, who also have traditional lamps. They don't stand behind their products. (Ask me how I know.)
    Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: Wildwood lamps

• graywings123
    14 years ago

A lamp should be at the height that it is used for. If you read in bed sitting up, it may need to be somewhat higher. So I guess I would ask, does the current height of your lamps suit your purposes?

• barb5
    14 years ago

Dee,

I do want to know about Sedgefield. I am thinking about putting in an order for one of their lamps.

I'd love to know what your experience with them has been, if you feel you could share.

• barb5
    14 years ago

Dee,

That link you gave to Wildwood has some gorgeous lamps. But the website doesn't even have a "locate a dealer close to you" function.

How do you buy a lamp from them? Are they only "to the trade?"

• deeinohio
    14 years ago

Barb:
    Just google "Wildwood lamps". Several online dealers have them. I'm sure the online dealers would answer any of your questions by phone. As far as Sedgefield goes, we paid over $250 for one of their lamps and within 18 months, the paint at the base began flaking off in huge chunks. I have never, in 37 years of marriage, ever had anything like this happen. So much so, the whole bottom of the lamp will have to be sanded down to repaint. I contacted Bellacor, from whom I purchased it, and sent detailed pictures. They were very responsive and checked with Sedgefield. BTW, Sedgefield's website states they stand behind their products. The lamp is in our weekend home and is always covered with a sheet. Worse than that, it had never even been plugged in since my husband had not yet put the floor plug in. Sedgefield's response was that we must have used some type of cleaning product on the lamp, and would not do anything about it. Not even a suggestion or an offer of matching paint. I use no cleaning products on it whatsover nor on the table it sits. They lost a customer.
    Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamp I have

• barb5
    14 years ago

Dee, Thanks.That is a beautiful lamp and I can see where it would be wonderful in a country weekend home. I'm sorry that happened.

Barb (bac717), I'm sorry to have highjacked your thread. I wish I could give some advice about your lamps, but I can't seem to decide on the lamp I need to buy either (only been thinking about it for 8 months!) I think it is hard to visualize how something will look, especially when buying online. Good luck.

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

Newbie here so hope my picture link works. This is a Kathy Ireland Asian Dynasty Ceramic Ginger Jar Table Lamp, available on Amazon.com and is only $170, so wouldn't be too bad for 2 of them. Good luck in your search.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• bac717
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I really do appreciate the responses to my plea for help.

Dee -- the Wildwood lamps are beautiful. Thanks for the link and thanks for the heads up on Sedgefield.

Barb5 -- don't worry about asking for more info from Dee. I was just as curious to know more about her experience. I'm with you, too, when it comes to the challenge of visualizing the lamps in the room.

Vampiressrn -- thanks for the link to the Kathy Ireland lamp. I really like it, but am afraid it may be too large.

I'm afraid to order anything on line until I do some looking around locally and bring a few lamps home to try for size. When I googled Kathy Ireland, I came up with a few lighting stores in the area that I haven't thought about in awhile. I will try to get out over the weekend and see what I can find. In the meantime, tho, I'd still appreciate any opinions on whether or not I'm heading in the right direction as far as color and style for these lamps.

Barb

• redbazel
    14 years ago

What height do you need for reading?

Red

• bac717
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm still up, doing more looking around and here's my latest find. This one is 29" tall, so I put some books under the current lamp to see how that height would work out. I think we could use the extra height, as graywings (sorry I overlooked you in my previous post) and red have mentioned.

This lamp is quite a change from the others I've been looking at, but I think it may be closer to the look I'm going for in the room. Turns out there is a Pierre Deux store not too far from me. I may call there tomorrow and see if they have the lamp in the store.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pierre Deux lamp

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Although most of these are less traditional, they are fun and funky and several would look great with your bed! I have wanted to get one for years, but can't find just the right spot. Oh well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Artful home lamps