Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janealexa_gw

Please show me your powder room decor :)

janealexa
12 years ago

Hello!

I've been on www.houzz.com, but most powder room pics just show 1 wall (the wall with the vanity and toilet). Just wondering what is on the other 3 walls. I'm trying to figure out how to decorate our powder room...

How did you decorate your powder room? I'd love to see pics, but I know it is hard to photograph small spaces.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (52)

• cattknap
    12 years ago

Love it!

• janealexa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great pics!! Thank you for your posts!

• pps7
    12 years ago

mtnrdredux, I love it!

Here's ours. Looks bare in the pictures but feels okay in person. I guess I need to put something over the toilet!

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

I also have been looking on houzz.com, but I did not see any powder rooms. All the bathrooms were quite large. Please let me know if you find any other good websites for visuals. Thanks!

• treasuretheday
    12 years ago

I redid our powder room about five years ago, at the peak of my ornate phase, I guess(!) It's a bit of a strange room because due to some ductwork, the ceiling is only 7 1/2 feet tall. I took out the full wall mirror with the hollywood light bar and replaced it with a vertical mirror with sconces on either side.

This picture doesn't show much of the vanity, which is a dark cherry, but you can see the accessories on the wall beside the doorway by looking at the reflection in the mirror.

I had previously considered posting this picture with a request for suggestions for an accent color. So, if you have any ideas, let me know.

It's kind of fun to peak into other people's powder rooms! lol

• Emily
    12 years ago

Here is our newly updated powder room:

• nhb22
    12 years ago

Our powder room

Lower level powder room from previous home

• susanka
    12 years ago

Ours is quite small. We gave it a "shell" theme. Several of the bottles on the shelves are navy blue, and so is the towel. The bottles on the shelves are a collection of perfumes my DIL gave me. The walls are a shell pink. The basin has a shell shape. Only thing is, I didn't stop to think how fast those glass shelves would get dusty. I'm looking for a navy blue soap dispenser that doesn't take up much room; because of the faucets I need a very thin or a very short dispenser. I prefer liquid soap in a powder room.

• susanka
    12 years ago

And I didn't hold the camera high enough; the supports for the glass shelves don't show IRL like they do in the photo. I'm very short.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    12 years ago

This in one that some friends and I put in my basement last year, replacing a VERY rough one that came with my 1937 cape. Most everything in is is eBay, Craigslist, or pieces that I had that I finally found a home for.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    12 years ago

This is my first floor half bath that I added many years ago, as when I bought the house, it had a full bathroom in the second floor and the very rustic one in the basement/cellar. I have made my vanities from antique bureaus.

Obviously, I am a 'more is more' girl, who loves vintage and antique things. The corner toilet was given to me by a doctor when I installed a computer system in the old Victorian home he was converting to his office. He had that, plus an old pedestal sink and a claw foot bathtub in the basement where I was stringing cable. He saw that I thought they were wonderful, and said he was going to use the sink and tub in one of his homes, but asked if I'd like the toilet! I took it home in the company station wagon, and kept in in my cellar until I added the bathroom to house it.

• lynxe
    12 years ago

Very nice, everyone! I think I've gotten at least one idea for our powder room, which needs redoing, from every single one of you.

my3dogs, hats off to you for doing green walls with that reddish-toned sink base/chest and floors. So clever and well thought out. I must confess: I seriously dislike green walls, but I'd copy your powder room in a heartbeat if ours had floors like that!

mtnrdredux, please tell me what those paint colors are, including the trim on the door jamb! Floor as well - what is it? Tile? Stone? We also have a small bathroom that needs redoing, including the floor, and I haven't been able to decide on materials.

Does anyone else, particularly someone with dramatically colored walls and/or floors and/or overall decor, have images to share? What I'd like to see is how colors go with a white sink and white toilet.

janealexa, thank you for starting this discussion! Like you, I really need ideas for this room.

• janealexa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

BEAUTIFUL pictures everyone! Thank you so much for all of the wonderful inspiration!! It's so nice to see more than 1 wall :)

epressler, love the tiled wall behind the mirror!

treasuretheday, love it, I wouldn't change a thing! I don't think an accent color is needed!

my3dogs, love the vanities!

The painters already painted the entire house and the house is now 3/4 complete. I wish I would've thought to paint the powder a different color, or wish I wallpapered it. It's always easier in the early stages of a build :( Guess it's never too late though??

I'll try to get some pics of our powder room in progress. Would love to hear your ideas on how to decorate it!

Hope this thread will continue to generate more lovely pics!!

• gillylily
    12 years ago

Here's our powder room:

• User
    12 years ago

Here's mine with Christmas items layered into the basic decor. I still have a blank wall that needs something (second picture) but the rest of room is getting there.

• nhbaskets
    12 years ago

Here's ours

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

Mine is a very New Mexican powder room so I'm not sure how much it will inspire you (LOL), but at least you can get an idea of how I've used local art to decorate this little room. I'll give a little info on them because many things may be unfamiliar (or just very strange) to you all. The tile and the sink itself are Talavera from Mexico, which is used a lot out here. Floors are (all) old brick. Mirror and light cover are punched tin from an artist family in Santa Fe. The mirror frame has hand-woven fabric from Chimayo, NM inserted in it under glass.

On the back of the toilet is what's called an Indian fetish bear. The santo has since been relocated. I keep the bowl filled with fresh cuttings and pine cones from the gazillion pinon pine trees on our property. I love the smell of fresh cut pinon. Above is a really special piece of primitive New Mexican art of three santos (saints . . . we love saints and angels out here ~LOL), reverse-painted on an antique window. Below it is a basket that I keep filled with more pinon cuttings. Below that is a small NM painting. On the connecting wall is a signed poster from my favorite New Mexican artist, Edward Gonzales. I took a art class from him once. Great guy. He always laughs and shakes his head that I designed my powder room around this one piece of his . . . but I love it and I did.

On the third wall, next to the door is this etagere. I collect crosses, so I have at least one in every room. On that top shelf are two of my Indian kachinas and a small bowl that holds some of the Indian pottery shards we've found on our property. The next shelf holds some extra hand towels.

Bottom part of the etagere has one of our Storyteller figures and more hand towels.

(LOL!) Like I said, this probably is a very strange or odd looking powder room . . . unless you live here in New Mexico, that is!
    Lynn

• hoh2010
    12 years ago

Here's ours

The wall opposite of the sink

• oceanna
    12 years ago

If you shut this post and look center bottom, or upper right, you'll find a link in each place to our Gallery. The Gallery is for photos, and there are links there by different room names. Feel free to contribute to them. It's "inspiration picture central." I hope you enjoy them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a direct link to the bathrooms thread

• janealexa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again everyone!

oceanna, thanks for the info! I've always loved your inspiration pic galleries! I started this particular thread b/c I'm curious how people decorate the other 3 walls. Most powder room pics only show 1 wall.

• sochi
    12 years ago

Many lovely powder rooms here! Here are most of my PR walls:

• blufish
    12 years ago

this is ours but not finished - needs moldings, towel bar, we also have a neat old milk glass soap dispenser that needs to be put up. We are using an old lamp stand for a tp holder until we find what we want but we get lots of votes for keeping it.

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

blufish, I think the lampstand/toilet paper holder is great!
    And I love the rest of the room, too.

• blufish
    12 years ago

thank you very much nancybee! I think the lampstand will stay.
    What nice rooms everyone has. When I was young we had only the old outhouse out back, who would have ever thought that I would be decorating a powder room in the same lifetime!

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

Beautiful & inspirational powder rooms everyone! And Mtnrdredux, I must be in the .1% because I love yours - this coming from a woman who plans hers to have a tent-in-the-rainforest theme.

• sochi
    12 years ago

I'm in the .1% with mtnrdredux and you as well antiquesilver. Mtnrdredux has a fantastic powder room. Tent-in-the-rainforest sounds pretty cool - lots of plants I'm assuming?

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

Sochi,
    Lots of plants ( a living wall at a local nursery was the inspiration coupled with an inherent small leak problem, thus the tent), recycled green roofing slate for the floor, copper fixtures, & used Army olive drab canvas to line the walls & ceiling for the tenting. My source for cheap canvas dried up & I only have about half as much as I need to continue.

• sochi
    12 years ago

Very cool antiquesilver. I'm planning a living wall for my master bath reno, I have one in my dining room right now, I love it. Good luck getting hands on that canvas!

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Here's our Guest bathroom. Technically not a powder room anymore, because we added a shower stall when we reno'd the bathroom (the room originally had a 2 ft deep sliding door closet at the back end; we bumped out an add'l 2 ft into the garage in order to add the shower). You can imagine it as a powder room if you ignore the shower stall (!).

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

I just have to comment on these many gorgeous powder rooms.

Mtnredux: I love, love, love everything about yours. Wacky? No, rather Individual, lovely, peaceful, brilliant.

Catmom: those sconces are gorgeous and I love how you've carried the accents of black so perfectly around the room.

Blufish: just lovely! Your mirror is my favorite. I really like it's curved top. I love the cabinet, too, and your art in there.

PPS7, your table in there is wonderful!!! Is it an antique?

My3Dogs: pure loveliness, as always. You have such a special way of putting things together.
    Lynn

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Thank you Lynne, Sochi and Antique. I am sure some of my guest shake their heads! : )

Catmom, i like the tile accent behind the sink and around the shower stall. Very nice.

Antique we need photos!

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Thanks Lynne and mtnrdredux!

We were able to "stretch" the accent tile by using it in 3" (?) wide strips. I think it came in 6" wide strips and it was priced by lineal ft. Our tile guy cut each piece/strip into 3" wide strips, which made it go further, and made it a more affordable or doable accent for the room (we didn't want to spend a fortune on the guest bathroom when we had two more bathrooms to reno at the time).

The sconces themselves are black, but the rest of the accents are all actually very dark brown (the vanity espresso-stained walnut). Happily, the sconces are a somewhat browny-black, and they have some faint, "rusty" highlighting in spots, so it all looks like it goes together color-wise (at least to me they do!).

I am a minimalist when it comes to decor/accessories in bathrooms, as you can tell, but I love seeing all the beautiful extras people have incorporated into their decor. Such talented people here! Not only to have an eye for items that work with regards to pure asthetics, but the vision to re-purpose items with regards to function as well takes real talent! Kudos!

• PRO
    Roxie Paone
    12 years ago

• colorblind1961
    12 years ago

It's not so much the decorations in my Powder Room, but the ceiling...it's covered in tin and it gets more comments than any other decor in my home.

...but here is the rest of my powder room

• janealexa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again everyone for sharing! Beautiful decor!

colorblind1961, LOVE IT!!

• colorblind1961
    12 years ago

Thanks janealexa...gives you something to look at while you're busy :D

• pps7
    12 years ago

Lynn, I just saw this post. I bought the table at an antique mall. It's an old sewing table. It's perfect to store extra toilet paper since we have a pedestal.

• janealexa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are some progress pics of our powder room:

• jreed22
    12 years ago

gillylilly....can you share the paint color in your powder room? I am trying to pick a paint color for our bathroom and your bathroom is the look I am trying to achieve

• User
    12 years ago

They are all great- and janealeza love that vanity and espeically the chandelier!!!

• janealexa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks sheilaaus122!

• lala girl
    12 years ago

Love seeing these rooms - they are terrific! Ours is a pale vintagey green (it photographs a much stronger green than it is).

I mounted old pages from a book about dogs on basic art canvases - you can see them in the mirror reflection. I used some other small pieces for the wall as well as a flouncey curtain panel.

For the mirror, I found an old painted $5 frame I liked and had mirror cut and fit to it at the hardware store for $10 - total steal!)

• janealexa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

laurainlincoln, very pretty! great job on the mirror and love that ruffle window treatment:)

• nhb22
    12 years ago

Well, as long as we are showing our other bathrooms, I'll show my Guest bath. It has a touch of Oriental/Jungle theme going on.

My mother-in-law painted this

A little Tatouage surprise for guest. :)

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Oceanna, I really enjoyed viewing all the powder rooms and bathrooms to give me ideas for mine. Thank you for sharing the link.

• lee676
    11 years ago

Someone referred me to you because I'm considering one of the triangular corner commodes that you used in the picture you posted, and can't find anyone else that has one. Does it work well? Thanks - see thread below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corner toilet

• deeinohio
    11 years ago

Lee676:
    We had a corner toilet in our previous home. It was a small bath, and the toilet was in the corner where, when the door was opened, you couldn't see it.

We raised 2 kids in that house,with that one bathroom! Never had a problem.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

Hi Lee! Mine is old, and by Eljer. It developed a TINY crack earlier this year, which a plumber was able to fix with 2 part epoxy. I have changed the flapper a few times, and because it's old it uses more water than newer ones like yours would, but it works great!

If I was buying a new one, I'd buy a brand name and look online for reviews. They aren't easy to find but here is a link to American Std Titan, which seems to be the one you're considering. I haven't seen any other 'brand name' corner toilets out there now. I don't care for comfort height, but the Titan is the one I'd buy now.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Std 'Titan' with reviews

• lee676
    11 years ago

thanks - that is the one i'm looking at. I'm totally in the dark as to the usual building codes that normally require a 36" wide space between the surrounding walls and/or cabinets - how would that work for something installed diagonally?

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

We plan to paint the whole room (Mascarpone to match rest of downstairs - not a big change from the off white it already is) and add hardware to the vanity, but decided (after thread here) to leave the countertop - "cultured marble" it's not in the budget to replace at this time.

The vase is from overstock.com World collection, I loved it and ordered it for our mantle but it was too large for that spot.

Will probably change the art too.

{{!gwi}}