Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

Describe this Bedroom in One Word

bbstx
9 years ago

Traditional Home posted this picture on its FaceBook site today day with the caption, "Describe this Bedroom in One Word." Thought it might be fun for us GWebbers to play too.

Comments (150)

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

Frenchy.

• western_pa_luann
    9 years ago

nonsensical

• crl_
    9 years ago

So my first thought was dusty. But we all have dust mite allergies and I'm over sensitive to things like the dried (?) flower arrangement. Otherwise, I like the room and my second reaction was romantic. I also think it is a fairly serene room, which I like in a bedroom.

• Lars
    9 years ago

Démodé

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Another~PERSONALIZED! ;)

• western_pa_luann
    9 years ago

"Also, I agree that if any one of us posted this as our bedroom, we'd get nothing but praise. "

Only because if anyone dissents, they are told it is best to say nothing if you have nothing positive to say....

• louisianapurchase
    9 years ago

Oh my.....I just typed a long reply and lost it....ugh!

So here goes once more but condensed.

After looking through all the pictures, I actually remember this house from a magazine that I once owned. I believe the daughter designed it for her parents or something. I don't remember the year however...2008-2011 maybe? I think I even saved a couple of the pages for a remodel of our last home that didn't happen.

A couple of people mentioned Ballard as their word. I think that can be applicable but think it is this room that is driving/inspiring the Ballard buyers, manufacturers, et al. versus the other way around. The cast iron cachepot, the side table either made from architectural antiquities or is either a true French baker's table (can't tell from the pic), to the intaglios, and the custom made lamps are all original pieces that Ballards tends to use as inspiration. Not this house using Ballards mass made products to evoke a certain feel.

All of these design elements have been prevelant for quite some time in antique shops, high end galleries, etc. throughout the south and can still be found in many. This is why my word is "expected" as this is and has been a very popular style in my neck if the woods for quite some time. When I first saw the picture, I thought it was a new room hence, expected.

I hope all if that made sense. Typing from my phone.

• porkandham
    9 years ago

I said "brown" and except for the two lamps and the floral arrangement on the floor, I don't dislike it. Brown isn't a negative. I have brown velvet draperies in my own room. I live in Atlanta, and it does have a very Atlanta/southern feel. Groupings of framed intaglios are very popular here.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

No mater who it belonged to, I would never think of this room as anything but boring.
    Since I grew up with the Thumper Rule, I'd say nothing at all and move onto the next post.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I think the Thumper Rule is entirely appropriate for rooms posted by the owner.

But for published rooms, it is like being a public figure; have at it.

It's a lot more fun and interesting if we can be no-holds-barred! And it might be useful, too. If no one ever explains WHY they don't like this room, then a GW poster might do a room like this, unexamined. But if they have read the critique, then if they decide to do the room they at least are informed and have thought through varied opinions.

Dissent is good.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

bbstx, that's the same house?!! Although it's mostly not my style, I really like how the rest of the house looks. I could live there and make it work.

So, switching back to the original bedroom pic, I think what I dislike the most are the messy, dusty hydrangeas on the floor and I love hydrangeas. I don't get the framed items, but they could be easily taken down.

I had to google Ballards to learn what their look is.

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

Staged

I know that word was used above but it describes how I think of this. That or 'impractical'. Where are the cords for the lamps? Cleverly hidden or just lopped off for the sake of this picture? Does one reach around the lamps to raise or lower the shade? There are things shown in the picture that I like, but in real life I'd need a clock, one lamp that actually plugs in, and hopefully a nightstand with a drawer. (And foot boards don't work for us. We're all too tall and the beds with them are hard to make IMO.)

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I replied "Photoshoot" because I would suspect that what we are seeing is for the benefit of how it reads on camera

We only have half of the bed because there was either not a good camera angle or the bed dominated the image.

We have two lamps because they might have thought they balanced the window/window treatment as the focal point.

If this was any of our rooms using the same things the fake flowers would have been placed else where. If we were using both lamps on the table a chair and possibly writing materials would have been at the desk. But the back of a chair would not have made as nice of a photo or envited the viewer in to the image. If the table was not being used as a desk the second lamp would probably be on the nightstand not shown

A docent at the Getty made the comment that photographers take things out of the image and painters add them in....I still say Photoshoot because this image was made to create a mood not be a documentation of an actual room being used

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Weariest

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I agree Mtnrdredux.
    My "boring" comment is because I like rooms with more variation in color than this room has.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Metrosexual.

My uncle Geoff would die happy in that room. After he tossed the hydrangeas and replaced them with the designer dog bed.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

thanks jterri!

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

InNeedOfAMakeOver

(I didn't know we were still chalk-painting/brown-waxing furniture, and lamps?)

• probookie
    9 years ago

As dust-catchers is 2 words, I'll have to go with staid.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Without the flowers and extra lamp, messy edit

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Trendy

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

But for the few splashes of color provided by flowers and plants, and a few bits of washed out color in other areas, the photos of the house come close to looking like black and whites. Even though I strive for "calm" and "serene" and "elegant," this house is just too washed out for me. Nevertheless, I like the form of the furnishings.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Those dots are horrible, some braille or Morse code thingy.

I don't hate the look, it's just that every single thing is currently popular in catalogs and Homegoods (good one!)

What is that shade pattern? Is that considered damask?
    I love it anyway. (need upholstery fabric...)

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Decorated or tasteless or contrived or TJMarshalls. Not one artful thing among many things but boy do they match.

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Decorated or tasteless or contrived or TJMarshalls. Not one artful thing among many things but boy do they match.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

She did a great bathroom. (below)

It's all very much my taste, id take it in a heartbeat. But it is a bit 10yrs-ago, or so. Thats why it looks a little Home Goods. Nothing cutting edge; only trends that have hit mass market already and hence have been devalued my many.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The framed decorations over the bed are intaglios, defined as techniques in art in which an image is created by cutting, carving or engraving into a flat surface and may also refer to objects made using these techniques: (Wikipedia) From brief reading on the internet, it appears that intaglios can be rare and expensive or inexpensive knock-offs.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

Pal's edit is a huge improvement.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Pal, thanks for the edit! I was thinking that I would like it much better just as you edited it, and I do. I think the collections over the bed are the sort of thing that makes a room more personal. Very appropriate to a bedroom, IMO--assuming of course that it is an item the owner enjoys collecting.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

After seeing the entire house I want to describe it as "Mommy Dearest."

The edited room was just what I was thinking need to go, too, and when I compare it to the original, the original is like a cake with too much piped frosting.

There are elements I like, or appreciate, like the curtain fabric, the brown velvet and the intaglios, though I don't know if I would frame and arrange them quite like that (I have a huge collection of carved nacre and abalone buttons, I've never displayed).

I thought that intaglios, or the art of making them, came from ancient roman seals for wax. But they were collected early on, and the demand for them as small works of art and souvenirs that could be tucked into your luggage spawned imitations made in the early 19th century that were sold to wealthy visitors touring the continent. The white ones, like here are actually the antique seals pressed into plaster, so they show the image in relief, like a cameo.

• zeebee
    9 years ago

Decorated, with a capital D.

• louislinus
    9 years ago

staged

devoid of personality (that's 3 words - I claim poetic license.)

• peegee
    9 years ago

Serene-ish
    Although I instantly disliked the doubled lamps, Pal's single looks nice to me. There are maybe a few too many intaglios for my taste, but I like hydrangeas (ahem, peegee) and would enjoy them a bit without the messy wilty hanging greenery before discarding, leaving the 'basket' there for something else (providing it is cast iron). I'm not a fan of the curtain, but the room needs the pattern - maybe 2 panels...I personally prefer a bedroom to be calm, quiet, restrained. I can imagine getting a good night's sleep in this room. Besides, too much pizzaz is not considered supportive of good 'sleep hygiene'.

• kidrowlam
    9 years ago

Unpretentious

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

Phantom!

Booo-ooom
    BoomBoomBoomBoomBoom

Poor Christine!

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I would agree with 'staged'...
    with the edit to eliminate one of the lamps, I can see why they have two... the single lamp looks too small to me- looks like a buffet lamp...
    I don't care for the table as a bedside table... can see wanting a jewelry box(?) on my table tho if i didn't have any drawers- often i forget to take out earrings until after i am in bed and will put them in a drawer...
    i don't like that particular arrangement of hydrangeas, but i like dried hydrangeas-- wouldn't put them on the floor tho...
    i wouldn't choose that rug for a bedroom, i probably wouldn't choose such plain bedding, i wouldn't choose that bedframe- whole bed doesn't look comfy to me...
    my grandmother used to have an enormous box of old buttons and i remember loving to go through it as a kid--- if i had that box of buttons i might think displaying them might be fun(but i would probably want to arrange them in a more interesting/creative way..... ?)
    the lack of brighter color doesn't bother me- i like browns!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Quaint

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

LOL at rhizo_1's "metrosexual" & Uncle Geoff. Makes me love the room!

This post was edited by onedogedie on Wed, Jan 21, 15 at 10:55

• Arapaho-Rd
    9 years ago

Possibly "quaint"... skillfully or cleverly made; unusual in an interesting, pleasing way

not sure but there are elements I really like -

the table, bed, window treatment, rug, lamp.

So maybe I do like the room. I would remove the wall décor over the bed. Different bedding would help also.

This post was edited by arapaho on Wed, Jan 21, 15 at 12:19

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Brown

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

airy.

I thought the framed objects were shells!

The lamps frame the window, which I like; it emphasizes the daylight & fresh air..

It's hard (I think) to get a useable bedside lamp without having it look "utilitarian".

• Olychick
    9 years ago

arapaho, I didn't think of that kind of quaint....more like:

"attractively unusual or old-fashioned" and I would strike the unusual, but I do find the room "attractively old-fashioned."

Altho the practical me wonders if that bed is brown velvet or velveteen and if it is, just how in the world would you keep THAT dust free?

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

modelhome

• zipdee1
    9 years ago

asthmatic.

As in inducing ..

• Vith
    9 years ago

Boring.

and

Odd.

(They are using monochrome coloring which usually goes with modern decor but it is in an older room which would usually have more character and life to it. Throwing some flowers on the floor didnt help at all.)

This post was edited by Vith on Wed, Jan 21, 15 at 16:51

• debo_2006
    9 years ago

I second "impersonal" with a yawn in there too.

• melsouth
    9 years ago

Lovely.

However, I would remove the hydrangeas.
    I really want to go to that room and take those out.
    The placement really bothers me.

• carsonheim
    9 years ago

staged

• violetwest
    9 years ago

shabbychicy

• User
    9 years ago

Mundane.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design