Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovemrmewey

Upholstery

lovemrmewey
10 years ago

Hi, All! Since so many on this forum do upholstering, would someone please share with me the best staple gun for this type of use?

Thanks so much!

Comments (8)

• Laurie
    10 years ago

From this forum, I learned about an electric staple gun that turned out to be a good choice for my situation. I had 6 pieces of furniture to re-upholster and did not want to buy a compressor.
    I felt fairly certain that I was not going to make this a long time hobby or a profession.

I am all done with my projects and the staple gun is stored away. It's still working as good as new and if I ever have another project to do, it will do just fine.
    In a couple situations, I feel that a slightly lighter weight staple gun with a longer "nose" would have been helpful.
    If I were to continue with many more projects, I think a staple gun that uses a compressor would be best.

The staple gun I have is :

Maestri #7 Pro Electric Stapler. It was about $160. online.

• ratherbesewing
    10 years ago

I use a pneumatic stapler with an air compressor. Home Depot and Lowes carry them. Prior to that, I used a manual stapler--too hard on the hands! Can't comment on the electric.

• decor64
    10 years ago

How did you all learn to upholster? I'd really like to learn to do that.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

I have upholstered for years and still use an electric stapler. The best in my opinion is ACE's name brand. Going pneumatic would be wonderful, but my space is limited and for some reason the projects end up being worked on in the living room. Know you didn't ask this, but a walking foot for your sewing machine makes upholstery projects far easier too, just as adding an electric stapler.

Decor....Are there still community classes around? At one time you could sign up for an upholstery class and take a small furniture piece in with you to work on.

If you haven't upholstered before, sewing experience is a must. There are a bunch of blogs now showing step by step instructions for a range of projects. My suggestion is to start with a simple pillow that has piping on it or a seat cushion with piping and gusset. Run a search for what you are interested in upholstering.

• lovemrmewey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, All! All I really want to do is to cover simple chair cushions. The seats are easily removed and I think I can do this even though I don't sew. I only wish I had more sewing/crafting skills!

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

One little trick to covering a chair seat. When you staple, start at the center of each side with one staple. Then staple half length from there and continue. Old artist canvas wrap process. Pull fabric when stapling according to how tight/loose the top cushion is wanted. Also clip corner fabric on underside about 3/4 of an inch from edge to overlay..last staple assembly.

• ratherbesewing
    10 years ago

Loveemewey: For dining room chair seats, all you need is a manual stapler from Home Depot. It's a fabulous first project. Keep in mind some fabrics like stripes and a centered medallions are a bit more challenging because they need to be straight and match. You Tube is a great source for instructions. Personally, I have been an avid home dec sewer for years and took an upholstery class at a local community college and I was hooked! Now, I visit the Goodwill shop as often as I can.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH