Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

I'm liking my new office window treatments!

My3dogs ME zone 5A
15 years ago

I have them all cut out, but only one set completed and installed. Brutuses talk about her office window treatments made me want to get going on mine.

I love to use multiple patterns in a room. No, not serene, but it's me. I also love fall colors. I am painting my office/sewing room Ben Moore Aura 'Honeymoon'. I liked it with the hunting toile loveseat. (Unlike those 'camo chairs' I just saw in Alison's post! Yikes!)

I have 5 windows in here so needed a lot of fabric and I wanted to do it as inexpensively as possible. Fabricguru.com came through for me with P Kaufmann's 'Wilderness' in the 'cedar' colorway. I bought all they had - 19 yards at $6.95 yd. I also got my lining there.

It's costing me $36.80 for each window to do lined panels. I'm not doing them to the floor, because I don't have enough fabric, plus, you see very little wall below the windows in here due to office and sewing items.

I lucked out a stop at Lowe's Thursday night, where I found 5 rods on Clearance for $7.97 each. Original price was $31.47 each, so I paid just a bit more for all 5 than I would have paid for one at the regular price. Plus, I WOULDN'T have paid $31.47 for ONE curtain rod!

I LIKE 'em, but I know all the pattern is not everyone's taste. I'm one of those 'more is more' people!

The fabric laying across the back of the loveseat. so yuo can see the design.

My cheap rods, which are great!

Comments (44)

• teacats
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Fantastic fabric -- and so lovely on your windows!

What a rich yummy fabric -- and I adore the colors too!

And a bargain too -- you are way TOO good at all of this girl! LOL! :)

Jan

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Very nice! Gorgeous! But I don't know why a camo recliner couldn't be hidden in the corner!

• les917
    15 years ago

Nicely done. I like the warm colors and mix of prints in the room.

I have always liked that fabric, tho I have seen it more often in the blue colorway, as it is on housefabric.com. But you got a much better price for yours!

gildwell regal

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Allison, as much as I'd like this room to look like an old English library type look, I'm stopping the hunting and bird theme with the loveseat and the drapes. Maybe a few framed prints....

That camo chair may wake me up sweating and screaming tonight, if I can't get it out of my mind. Noooooooo - it will NOT fit in here! Or ANYWHERE else in the house!

• walkin_yesindeed
    15 years ago

they're gorgeous, though don't you think they'd look *even nicer* when accented by camo?

• teeda_2006
    15 years ago

Oh, that fabric is gorgeous My3Dogs! Love the rods, too. Not only do you have fabulous taste, but you can sew as well! What a combination!

• caminnc
    15 years ago

Can I move in with you?

• anotherlinda
    15 years ago

my3dogs- You have such great taste. Your version of "more is more" is definitely a good thing! The fabric and fullness of the drapes looks so rich & warm. Great price too!

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

Your way of mixing prints & fabrics is perfection, imho! How do you get any work done in an office as cozy & comfy-looking as that? I would just want to sink into a chair & look around & smile :)

• declansmom
    15 years ago

I only wish that I had the vision to mix patterns the way you do. I love the look, but I am afraid that if it entails more than two patterns, I am lost!!!!!
    Looks fabulous, as usual!

• creekylis
    15 years ago

Love your stuff...very nicely done!

• yayagal
    15 years ago

Just beautiful!!!!

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

Fantastic, very elegant.

Joann

• oceanna
    15 years ago

I'm one of those 'more is more' people!

So am I and I LOVE what you did! It looks like a big warm hug. It all goes together with the hunting theme, and that great dog pic. It all looks so classy and it's my favorite style of decorating. I don't know what that style is called but I love it.

I love to use multiple patterns in a room.

Me too. Now I feel a bit vindicated about my carpet, drapes, and fainting couch in the LR. lol!

I think you'd better be careful. Guests are going to show up at your house and you're not going to be able to get rid of them. They'll never want to leave.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

M3D, you did it again. They are precious and Lord, you are quick. Here I am talking about my office curtains and you mention yours one day and they are up the next. What a find on those rods, that is fabulous.

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

my3dogs
    I just cut and pasted your instructions fr. an old post on how to make an easy valance -
    How the heck do you whip this stuff up so quickly - I'm jealous! I have to research & ponder far too long! rrrrrr
    They are lovely - perfect for your room!

Love fabric guru!
    Really nice job!

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Great fabric choice in your sewing room/office. are you taking reservations for us to take turns hanging out at your place? Good eye for color pattern and, oh heck everything!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

What a fabulous combo. They're wonderful, and perfect for the room in every way.

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

I love them and think they go beautifully with everything in there, especially next to that frame -- really echos the carving beautifully. WHERE DID YOU GET THAT DOG!!! Really, if it's a canvas transfer I'd love to know and see about getting one, I have a dog theme going here.

Beautiful work, love your toile sofa as well.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    15 years ago

AW, thanks, everyone! Lovers of layers and multiple patterns, Unite!

With these panels and my limited amount of fabric, the part that takes longest is figuring out what I can cut for each one, given the repeat, and cutting them so the pattern is in the exact same place on all of them. I use my kitchen island for that, and it took me hours on these, because I'm very anal about it.

Once that's done, the actual sewing isn't bad. I finished another set last night after I posted the pics.

bigdoglover, that oil painting came from eBay, as did the toile that the loveseat is covered in! I don't do upholstery (yet!) so had it done years ago. Believe it or not, I bought it from the person who later became fabricguru. What bargains you can find on that site!

The seller of the painting is 'greshamdesignsart'. I think he can have custom work done for buyers, but this was one of his auctions.

I have three Brittanys and this one happens to look exactly like my mother's and late Dad's dog, Charlie. I bought it in 2002. I had it over the mantle in the LR, but it's found its permanent home in here over the love seat.

• zipdee
    15 years ago

So beautiful, nicely done!

• southernheart
    15 years ago

Those are gorgeous! You did a great job!

I'm also a more-is-more, layer-it kind of girl, and your choices are always wonderful.

You're also inspiring me to *want to* finish some projects-in-progress. I bought two lots of fabric on sale from fabricguru.com during their last big sale (one at 50% off and one at 75% off), and they're sitting on bolts in my bedroom. Seeing your finished product is at least nudging me in the right direction! :)

• ginger0314
    15 years ago

My3dogs - I love your fabric and your panels. I have made your window treatments using your tutorial for 3 windows in my house and have had many compliments. Could you post a tutorial on how to measure and make these treatments too? I like the fullness of the panels. Thank you so much for all your time and help

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

I always love seeing pics of my favorite jewelbox of a house. The new drapery fabric is lovely and adds even more richness to your beautiful room.
    Lynn

• gigib_08
    15 years ago

my3dogs - The new panels are Beautiful!!! I love your choice of drapery fabric! Stunning!!

• User
    15 years ago

Aside from being really pretty, you did a great job on the workmanship, matching up the patterns on both panels, etc. Looks great, and I love the length of your curtain (I have some that length in my house).

And I am another lover of multiple patterned fabrics in a room!

• uxorial
    15 years ago

Well done! They look fabulous!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! What a surprise to see this up here again! Thanks so much for your compliments!

Ginger, these couldn't be easier...and I know I have said that before.

This is how I did it, but these are just suggestions, as your style can be different, your fabric may be solid, and you may wish to have more or less or no header, and a different width rod pocket.

Have your rods before you sew the pocket, to make sure they are going to fit through what you have planned.

I simply bought 54" wide home dec fabric, and lining from Fabric Guru. I cut the selvages from the panel fabric, and the length was determined by how many windows I have and how much fabric I had! These will end up being 63" which is a common length.

I cut 2" from EACH side of the lining. Cut very straight and even. That gave me lining slightly narrower than my 'face fabric'. I pin and sew the SIDES only together, (right sides facing each other) using 1/2" seams. (Top and bottom are still open at this point.)

Turn this right side out and press the seams toward the back. On my semi-finished ones at this point, I had the face fabric 1" wider on each side than the lining. I use a small ruler and measure the one inch carefully all the way up both sides of the treatment and press it.

NOTE - depending on the width of your selvages, you may want to trim more or less from your lining. The object is to have some of the face fabric turned toward the back when you press it, like the pic below. PLEASE experiment a bit and decide how much you need to trim - it will vary with your fabrics.

I cut each panel making sure the pattern is even with the last one, by laying the previous cut panel fabric on the fabric as a pattern to cut the next. Line up the print (if there is one) on each side and make sure it's lined up on BOTH sides. Cutting these even and straight, both across and up and down is vital to them looking and hanging well.

Once I've pressed the treatment, I then carefully pin the top together (front and lining, now wrong sides together) and machine baste it 1/4" from the top edge. I then decided what part of my print I wanted near the top, and made SURE that (in my case) the top of the pheasant heads were 1" down from the top, and pressed that all the way across. For me, that gave me 4" pressed toward the lining.

I folded this 4" pressed section under where I had machine basted it 1/4" from the edge, and pinned and stitched the rod pocket. I then stitched 1" down from the top to form a small header, (your choice whether you make one) and had the remaining as rod pocket. My rods are chunky, so I made a decent sized pocket. The size of yours will depend on your rods.

Hem as desired, (by hand, machine or fusible tape/web), after you carefully plan your length and make certain that just like the top, you are making sure that the end of the treatment is the same from panel to panel, so if you have print fabric, you will see it match from one panel to the next on all of your windows.

I use my kitchen island to do my cutting and pinning on large pieces of fabric, and can't stress enough how vital straight and even cutting from panel to panel is. That's true of whatever treatment you make, if you want them to look 'professional'.

I buy inexpensive ivory lining from Fabric Guru for $2.24 yd. I mounted my rod hardware in this 7.5 foot ceiling room 1" down from the ceiling and 2" out from the trim, which I wanted to cover. The windows are approx. 38" wide, and what you see is 2 panels that are approx 51" wide finished width, on each.

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

I'm kindof a "more is more" girl too. And I LOVE, LOVE your new drapes. That fabric is gorgeous with the pheasants. I'm loving it.
    I think it all looks beautiful together. Great job!! :o)

• saltnpeppa
    15 years ago

My3dogs,
    I have 3 dogs, too.
    I have that Phesant fabric, too. But I can't sew:( Your panels look gorgeous!! I love them!

I used it in my kitchen & DR. I WAS gonna have roman shades made for kit. windows & french door until my DH told me the fabric looked like a 1980's tie!!! Can you believe that???
    Here are my parsons chairs...
    {{gwi:1572082}}

Smiles:)

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Every single photo I've seen of your home makes me swoon .... Thank you for being so generous in letting me play voyeur in your to-die-for home. I can't stop scrolling up and looking!

• patricianat
    15 years ago

What rmkitchen said.

PS Scooby Ruby, your photo is very pretty. You have great taste and tell your husband, no cigar, no bow tie.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Scoobyruby, I agree with Patricia! We all have different tastes, but I'd like to see what your hubby LIKES for fabrics. I'm glad you at least got the chairs done in it!

rmkitchen, this is really a modest 1930's Cape, of about 1700 sq. ft. I love it, and I guess that shows in how I 'dress her'. This inexpensive fabric has done SO much for this room, that I can't believe the change. I took these pics this morning at 7 AM when it was 2 degrees outside. When I turn around in my work chair, away from my PC armoire, this is what I look at. To me, it is very cozy in here! I'm very happy that so many of you like the look, too.

• bungalow_house
    15 years ago

As everyone else said, it's just lovely.

I am always so amazed at not only your talent for pulling this stuff together, but also at the relatively measley prices at which you manage to do it! $37 per window?! And it always looks like a million bucks when you're finished with it! It just blows my mind.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, bunglaow! It's ALL in the fabrics, that's for sure. I think this is a very rich looking one, and just happened to find it very inexpensively in this color, as opposed to the $18 - $20 yd I see in the blue colorway. The $37 per window is a thrill, as I needed so much of it. I am SO glad that I enjoy sewing!

This place isn't all pretty, though. the front half of this room is the craft/sewing part, and it has plastic bins and boxes of fabric, a drafting table, a mini ironing board, the sewing machine, so don't think it's that wonderful.

This is a hard working room - not a show room, like some beautiful offices I have seen. As usual, most everything that you see in the pics above is from eBay, Craigslist or a consignment shop. Right there - the vintage glow adds a LOT to the look I like.

But HERE is where I am... See - not so nice. And hopefully this weekend I'll get to paint more of the room, as you can see I haven't done the wall with my PC armoire on it.

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

As always, M3D, your sewing talents and impeccable eye are an inspiration for us all! Just drooling here at your warm and inviting workspace windows! Now I'm off to make two of your butterfly valence patterns in the yellow toile for my bathroom windows - to finish up my MBR and bath transformations.

• angelcub
    15 years ago

I LOVE your drapes and your style! "Lovers of layers and multiple patterns, Unite!" indeed! As a fabric-oholic I can tell you I have lots of plastic bins filled with fabric and they don't always look so good, either. lol!

I really like your office armoire. It looks like it has space for most everything you'd need. I resorted to converting a closet in one of our bedrooms (empty nesters) to office space. It works well but I'd much rather have a nice piece of furniture like yours, especially one I could close up since this room is also a guest room. Can you tell me where you found yours, the manufacturer, or any other info you'd think was important to finding one? Thanks!

Diana

• bungalow_house
    15 years ago

I work at home too so I hear you on the functional but messy side of the office. I think if you sit in the same 4 square feet for 8 hours, there's no way it's going to look picture-perfect. I posted in another thread recently that my office is a little enclosed room in my unfinished basement, and it works well because I don't have to bother with making it look nice. :)

Do you mind sharing the names of consignment stores that you frequent? The only one I visit frequently is Cherished Possessions in South Portland, but I come out empty-handed 95% of the time. I know there are a few antique/second-hand stores on Congress Street and one on outer Forest Ave in Portland, but I rarely get to browse those. And that huge consignment store on Riverside is usually a wash for me too. If there are some others outside the Portland area, I'd love to hear about them!

• sandra12
    15 years ago

Love all the colors and fabrics! Love the dogs too!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The one I go to is also Cherished Possessions! I got my antique pine Irish corner cupboard there (it came from Mulberry House) and also my beloved Chinoiserie ladies desk in the LR. I think they USED to be a lot better than they are now, so I seldom go there. Yes, the one on Riverside holds nothing for me, either, as it seems to have lots of BIG (ugly, IMO) things for houses larger that ours.

eBay and Craigslist are my faithful companions. I check both each day. I can't wait to finish re-doing the old CL $30 pine cottage bureau I got last year above Farmington and get it in here to hold my TV!

Come April, when she re-opens, check out the Mustard House in Buxton on Rt 22. (1420 Long Plains Rd, # 929-8558). She has some antiques and beautiful vintage looking accessories. I got my faux berries etc for fall and winter mantles from her.

Would you believe that since I so seldom even walk through my dining room that I forgot I had this antique Ogee clock with pheasants on it?? An eBay treasure. Needless to say, I'll be hanging it above my sewing machine as soon as I finish work today. My sister is lusting after the print that I have there now from a Sturbridge Yankee Workshop sale years ago.

Here is the bureau. I have touched up one drawer and will do the rest when I can get it outside so I can see the graining well. Pic is from the ad on CL.

Before

After

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ooops,Diana, I missed the request for info on the PC armoire.

It's by Hooker, and I bought it in 2002. The number on the receipt is 070-10-305, but I can't say if that is a Hooker # or the one given by the local store where I bought it. It holds and hides a LOT of stuff, and you can re-arrange much of it by moving the supplied shelves around. I don't even use all the shelves that came with it.

I occasionally see Hooker entertainment centers and a FEW PC armoires on Craigslist. They always LOOK nice, so it's a place to check out.

• bungalow_house
    15 years ago

I will check out Mustard House, thanks! Maybe we've crossed paths at Cherished Possessions. :) I see stuff there sometimes that I like, but it's never anything that I need. There was a really cute small writing desk there a few weeks ago that I loved, but I have no need or place for it!

You know you have an overabundance of great stuff if you could forget that beautiful clock! The dresser is going to look great.

And I meant to mention that computer armoire too. Not only is it nice to look at, but it looks really functional. I love how it has 3 levels for screen, writing space, and keyboard. I need to rig something similar up so I can add a writing surface in my space.

• angelcub
    15 years ago

Thank you, my3dogs! I will make a note of that. And I'll start perusing my local CL. I always forget about things like that but I see a lot of you on this forum get some fantastic finds on there.

Love your bureau and clock, too! No wonder your place looks so comfortable and inviting. You have a perfect blend of old and new. : )

Diana

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I've always admired that fabric and I think I like it even better in the "cedar" colorway. I can't believe the amazing price you got for it as well.

And scoobyruby, those parson's chairs are just stunning with the pheasant print. I can't believe your DH wouldn't let you roman shades from it.