Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaynes123_gw

Painting unpainted / bare wood top of a nightstand

jaynes123_gw
9 years ago

Bought this 24" vanity used WITHOUT TOP ($15, what a find!) to finish as a nightstand. BF attached wood top AND attached trim around edge of this top.

Need help regarding painting top - BF has brush painted walls, not furniture before . Ive only spray can painted like lamps, mirror frames, etc.

1) We do not want that very dry / matte finish some paint leaves, looking for a finish more like that of finished white furniture. Ive seen some furniture that you can tell was repainted because of the dullness of the finish which we're trying to avoid.

2) Does the fact that will be a nightstand TOP with items on it affect the type of paint or require some special top coat to prevent showing wear?

3) He recently bought a paint sprayer, havent yet used. Wondering if would be a good idea or not. Ive spray painted like mirror frames where you tape newspaper and know thats easy to do but wondering for project would be better to use sprayer or brushes?

Any other ideas or concerns would be appreciated

Here is a link that might be useful: 24

Comments (7)

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I can't advise about paint but I could not resist congratulating you on such a good deal. You must be an astute shopper.

• jaynes123_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I feel fortunate - just finished rebuilding NJ shore house with white cabinetry throughout YET my BF still thought we shouldnt get it cuz ... LOL I didnt know exactly what I'd do with it.

Seriously?!? So cute, matches house- even if just a plant stand still a great deal at $15 but yay, works as a nightstand we need.

He did such good job on top - trim for around top is fluted / ribbed just like the legs, looks like it came this way or hopefully will if we figure how to paint it right.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Number 2:
    If you slide things around on your nightstand, consider having a piece of glass made to put on top. It can sit on tiny bumper thingies that the glass shop should have.

I think I'd want to brush on paint instead of spraying, but that's probably because I don't know how to use a sprayer. :) Use something glossy, or at least with a sheen that matches the original. If you use the glass on top it'll be less important how durable the finish is.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I do know wood needs primer.

• Vith
    9 years ago

First, prime it so the paint sticks well and doesn't chip off.

Second, use Gloss or Semi-Gloss paint because that is the most durable paint. The top might end up shinier than the rest of the nightstand but it will be your best option. Gloss is more durable than semi-gloss. Gloss will have similar shine to that of a kitchen countertop.

Spray paint gives the best finish, otherwise use a roller that doesn't leave lint. Oil-based paint would be more durable, although application is harder.

• Lars
    9 years ago

I have glass on top of my night stands to protect them, but I have also made a tiled top for a found table that I use outdoors. You might also be able to find or buy a stone to put on top of the table.

This post was edited by publickman on Tue, Jan 27, 15 at 11:58

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

I was also going to suggest glass. I had 2 pieces cut by a local shop to fit the tops of my nightstands. And it was quite reasonable. Because the pieces are 100% supported, I was able to get a reasonably thin glass which was cheaper.