Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1288772

Please help me refurnish my LR!

User
13 years ago

I�m ready to replace almost all of my LR furniture and furnishings. I�ve seen what all the marvelous GWers can do and hope you�ll provide advice/opinions for my makeover. Please??

The carpeting (light butterscotch), curtains, and wall paint (soft, light, gleaming gold) are new. The ceiling height is 9 feet. The LR is to the right of the foyer and is one room with the DR. The DR leads to the FR and kitchen. Room dimensions are provided on the floor plan. By the way, the floor plan reflects the future, not what I have now, and is open to suggestions. What I have now is in one of the photos.

Here�s what I will keep. The 68" console. I don�t know what the wood is but it has a red tone. There are glass doors on the ends and a glass top. I love this piece!

A pair of figural lamps (Kwan Yin) that belonged to my mother (purchased in the late 1950s). The figural part of the lamp is 27 inches and the base is 8 inches wide by 6 inches deep. I asked for these when I was about 12 yo because they were so unusual. I�m trying to figure out what size/shape shade to use (suggestions?).

I�d like to work in the Gustav Klimt tapestry. The ottoman can stay or not.

I will purchase an upholstered sofa (3 cushion, tight straight back). I know I do not want a tufted back and I want the arms lower than the back. I�m open to a skirt or open bottom. Please give me suggestions on color and other features.

I would also purchase 2 chairs and 2 end tables. I think the room would benefit from upholstered chairs for the visual weight. I have a couple of inspiration fabrics showing green, one with a bit of red that I really like for its warmth. I�d like to hear opinions on what you think would look good (color, style and size).

I�d like the end tables to have a solid base to hide those pesky lamp cords. Otherwise, I�m open on style, wood, glass, etc.

The art work I found incorporates a bit of red that I�d like in the chairs as well as green and gold. The vertical piece has a metallic sheen.

Oh, as if that wasn�t a big enough task, I�d like suggestions for furniture brands that I can view on-line, then take to dealers for viewing. I prefer not to use PB, C&B, P1. I need some quality furniture that will last some years!

I can�t wait to hear from you!

Java

front of LR

{{gwi:1553219}}

Looking into DR

{{gwi:1553220}}

Proposed floor plan

Existing console and lamps

{{gwi:1571541}}

Klimt tapestry

Inspiration fabric for chairs and sofa pillows

{{gwi:1571546}}

Inspiration fabric for chairs and pillows (not the chair)

{{gwi:1571548}}

Inspiration art

{{gwi:1571551}}

{{gwi:1571553}}

Finally...the curtain material

This is going to be FUN!!! TIA!!!

Comments (21)

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The lamps on the console will not stay!

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

I love those lamps! I love the console. I love the Klint tapestry. I love the painting over the console. I'm not so sure about The Pear Tree or the other piece of art you selected, or the fabric, which looks too traditional to me to go with your gorgeous console and lamps. I think a sleek sofa, without frills, maybe leather, with 2 chairs in a geometric print would let your current pieces shine.
    Dee

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

For the figural lamps I would use barrel shades. They would look great with shades that had a gold foil lined interior. That would be true to the period. It does reduce the amount of light they emit.

As for the rest of the furniture I need more information because if what I currently see.

You have one arm chair and console that are contemporary, with art deco influences.

You have a traditional formal sofa and one formal barrel chair.

The ottoman is traditional, informal and masculine.

The DR Table is shaker and the hutch is country.

The Klimt and the current art piece play well together but I am not sure about the others.

Same with the two floral fabrics: they are both Jacobean which is traditional They may be too similar to work well together.

That is all just assessment, nothing critical meant by any of it...now, which pieces of furniture do you like completely independent of each other, (excluding the sideboard which we know stays)?

Do you like the contemporary pieces better? The traditional? Are some of them things you got given and you don't care for them at all? What are you gravitating toward?

Those lamps, the artwork and the hutch could dictate a whole room that has a mid century eclectic feel not in the way of danish modern but modern with a slight hollywood regency feel. But it could also go in other directions as well, and I assume the dining room furniture is all staying so it shouldn't be culture shock between one side of the room and the other. Eclectic works, but it still has to be planned.

(The piece in the DR that I think is odd-man-out is the hutch...I don't know how that fits in the direction it seems you are headed)

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dee and Pal -

I, too, love the console and the lamps. As for other stuff most of it is from various other homes/rooms over the years as I recently gave away my most recent LR furniture so I'm starting over.

The lamps had barrel shades in beautiful fabric but I think the shades were too large (and the fabric water damaged and torn). As I said, I'm trying to figure out what size and I haven't been able to duplicate the shape.

The sofa was a FR item and is great for lounging but not comfortable for sitting as it's very deep (not to mention old and slouchy). It goes.

I love the chair that is next to the console but it is very small in scale - more suited to a bedroom or a smaller room with lower ceilings. The fabric is Asian influence but too light to provide much "warmth". The other chair is nothing more than seating but the scale is better.

The inspiration fabrics aren't meant to work together but show pattern that I like. I like the warmth of the darker one and I like the movement of it.

The only thing in the DR I like is the table. I would like it to stay and be incorporated into the LR-DR future. I hate the hutch with a passion and the chairs only a little less.

I like the art over the console but it's a lot of pastel which I don't find warm.

So the theme is "warm" I guess but I really do want to incorporate the console, the figural lamps and the tapestry.

Still hopeful I'll get there!

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Here is an assortment I put together purely based on the lamps and the Klimt. Its eclectic contemporary with a mid century vibe because of the lamps.
    {{gwi:1571556}}

{{gwi:1571558}}

{{gwi:1571560}}

{{gwi:1571562}}
    {{gwi:1571563}}{{gwi:1571565}}

And a more shaker hutch
    {{gwi:1571567}}

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

Java:
    If you have the original lampshade forms for your lamps, you can have new shades made at Fenchel Shades. I just recently got an email from them and if you go to their Facebook page and "like" it, they'll send you a 30% off coupon.
    Dee

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

Gorgeous, Pal. I love your mix!
    Dee

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Again this is a purely midcentury vibe. Not sure if it is what you are going for

{{gwi:1571569}}

{{gwi:1571570}}

{{gwi:1571572}}

There is no pattern in any of this but it could come from the pillows etc.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Pal...that 2nd sofa is fabulous!!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dee - Thanks for the info on the shades. I do have one but it's too large I think. I'll contact Fenchels and see what can be done to get the right size.

Pal - There isn't one piece that I don't LOVE. Hopefully I can find the chair styles in a large enough size that they aren't lost in that room. Matching chairs (which is what I would typically do) or different?

Any thoughts, though, on solid base end tables that would mix with the midcentury vibe? I really hate seeing lamp cords.

Also, could I get comments on furniture placement? I didn't want to cut off the LR-DR or entry to LR from foyer. The wall where I show the console is the only place I could see putting it, which leaves the sofa centered under the front window. If anyone sees other options, I'm interested in hearing them.

This is great help! Thank you for the examples and ideas!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Comments on this art deco chair (reupholstered, of course)?

{{gwi:1571574}}

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Have you seen deco chairs like that in person? They are really massive in scale. They would tend to overpower anything but a very bulky sofa.

I think you can use a lighter scaled pair of chairs, especially if one of them has a small side table next to it. Go too large and you will start to cut off the DR.

For end tables I would look at bedside chests and tables if you want something more solid. You used to be able to find simple solid cubes but I haven't seen many lately.

Ethan Allen Chest:{{gwi:1571575}}

Here is my LR/DR which is quite large at 25 x 16 x 10 ceiling, and most of the seating is not massive in scale: the sofa is long at 96", My lamps are the same era as yours, and I think mine could have larger shades really. They did tend to go pretty big back then. The decor is not closely coordinated because I tend to add things I like as I go along.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Got it on the chair size. I'm just so concerned that chairs the size of my current one next to the console will look so puny. I remember seeing your LR and really liking a lot of the elements. My challenge is that I'm too spare with my furnishings perhaps, which makes my spaces look empty even filled with furniture?

While your lamps themselves wouldn't look out of scale with larger shades, to my eyes (untrained and wonky at best) larger would overwhelm the sofa. I'll take a picture of my lamp with the old shade on it when I get home tonight.

The bedside chest you posted - What finish would you suggest to work with my console?

Regarding the shaker china cabinet, do you think a mid century or danish cabinet would be totally wrong with my existing DR table?

{{gwi:1553222}}

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I think mid century or danish modern would work well with the shaker since they are both simple. As with the current hutch, I think the limiting factor will be how the piece works with the console you are keeping since they are along the same wall. I would go for a wood tone for the larger piece that blended well with the wallcolor, nothing too close to that of the other piece.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Cedric Bunching tables by Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams. These are roughly 18" cubes. They make a larger one at 24" sq x 21" h. I think cubes make great end tables because they are wieghty looking but rather unobtrusive.
    {{gwi:1571577}}

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Here are a pair with black shades. These may be rectangles. An oval would look nice on yours, too.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pal - I really do like the black and gold lined ones, too, for their impact. I won't be able to find any locally in the right shape/size, but might be able to get some just to test for light emission. I do not like dark rooms! Here's a picture of mine with the original shade. It always looked like "Hey,Shade, where are you taking that lamp?" IYKWIM

Java

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

That is actually about the right size for that lamp. It Could sit down an inch lower closer to her head, but that is a function of the harp. Thats actually a beautiful shade fabric for the lamp too. I would keep these if they are in good condition, personally, you won't do any better in a modern shade off the rack, you would have to go custom.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll give it a go with a different harp. I think the picture was with a 12 inch harp and I tried a 10 inch that didn't work at all. The shade fabric unfortunately is in terrible shape, but you're right, the fabric is sumptuous. I will get in touch with Fenchels to see if they can reproduce it. The drum is actually curved, not straight and that can't be found in any store even on-line off-the-shelf. My mother went without new clothes for quite a while to afford these lamps and some really nice MCM furniture (curvy 3-piece sectional, gray ash end tables, circular coffee table and handmade - by her - curtains). I wish I had some of the accessories she collected to go along with the furniture, but I never really appreciated them.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Palimpsest

Would you share your sources for the pix you posted? I am not having any luck on-line, but have found some stores/shops specializing in MCM/retro furniture a distance from me. Before I visit these places I'd like to have an idea of who makes the pieces. I really like the following:

1st set of pix: both of the glass/metal tables
    2nd set of pix: sofa and green chair

I've seen similar sofas but not quite. Not quite means I don't love it!

Thanks for your help!

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

All the upholstered pieces are from Room and Board catalog.

The gold tables are from Horchow Collection in occasional tables.

The Cedric cubes are from Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams.