Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drjay71_gw

Need help with SW yellow paint color for new Tuscan home

drjay71
15 years ago

We are building a new house and having a hard time picking out the main floor color. The house is very open and rustic Tuscan in style. We have a great room with vaulted ceilings which opens to the kitchen. There is a good amount of natural light which enters the room and the front of the house faces north and the back of course faces south. We will get light from mainly the north and south windows into the great room, dining, and ktichen.

So far, we like the following colors:

6673 banana cream

6128 blonde

6674 jonquil

6688 solaria

we want the yellow to be more golden or orangey and not too dark or pastel. any help would be appreciated.

here is a link to pics of the actual house

http://picasaweb.google.com/JaynishPatelMD/NewHouse?authkey=vseDlkNG-dU#5293717727843867170

thanks

Comments (28)

• User
    15 years ago

I have Ralph Lauren Golden Finch in my kitchen. If I was to have the swatch matched & mixed at SW, it would be the Jonquil color. Once on the walls it's basically one of the yellow shades you find in sunflowers, my favorite! My daughter always says it makes the kitchen feel very happy and warm. Here is a pic of my kitchen, still a work in progress so excuse the mess..but you get the jest.

The Gold Finch w/my inspiration piece (blue counters are now gone :c)
    {{!gwi}}

Kitchen pic doesn't show very well but it's the best I have.
    {{!gwi}}

• lsst
    15 years ago

We used SE Compatible Cream as well as SW Restrained Gold.

• drjay71
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. We like jonquil and restrained gold as well. We just don't want the yellow to overpower the house. Our floors will be creamy travertine and all of our trim will be a dark ebony stain

• juddgirl2
    15 years ago

I'm using SW Believable Buff, which I love and it really does make my dark stained doors stand out, but it's more of a yellowish tan color. For a truer yellow color, I'm very fond of the SW Blonde that's been shown here on various postings. Try searching "SW Blonde" and you should be able to see a lot of examples.

• drjay71
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks. we like blonde and are using it upstairs with ivoire trim

• robynpa
    15 years ago

Check out SW August Moon. I just painted my kitchen this color. It is a golden/orange color.

Here is a link that might be useful: August Moon

• drjay71
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks for the august moon suggestion

• drjay71
    Original Author
    15 years ago

anyone have viva gold out there?

• lyfia
    15 years ago

Did you see the yellow/golds thread in the gallery section

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellows/Golds

• drjay71
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yes, it is a very helpful thread.

anybody have sw harvester? i think we are narrowing it down to this color among a few others. would love to see a pic as well

thanks

• marybeth1
    15 years ago

I have BM Golden Straw in my Tuscan inspired kitchen Straw is pretty also but Golden Straw has a little more gold in it.

• drjay71
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks will look into it.

do you have any pics?

• User
    15 years ago

You may want to look at Warm Muffin by Behr. When I saw the swatch for it, I thought it leaned more to the browns, but was surprised to see once on the walls, it's actually a soft golden color. Would work great for as a base color especially if your going to treat the walls with a wash to get the tuscan look. Don't have a pic, but you can pull up the swatch at Behr.com

• drjay71
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks

i think we are going with sw blonde in an eggshell finish. just saw this at another home today and it looked great. esp for a tuscan style home

• Taralyn
    15 years ago

I don't know if I have a pic, but I used SW Harvester in a similar lighting scenario, south and north - it is a wonderful soft warm yellow - when folks walked in my door, they said it was like walking into a golden ray of sunshine - (not the desert version :)). If you try Blonde and it goes funny - turns green on a lot of folks, try Harvester.

terry

• drjay71
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Terry,

Thanks for your post. If you could find a pic, I would appreciate you posting it.

As soon as I posted we are going with SW Blonde, the Boss says we should probably go with Harvester. Comparing the two, I don't think you can go wrong with either. I do think, however, Harvester is a little more golden than Blonde.

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

How about SW blonde, restrained gold, and the other one on their strip (LOL). Do a search for mavsfan on here and her house should pop up. She used those colors with faux finished walls. GORGEOUS!!!

• deborahnj
    15 years ago

Totally, do you mean SW Chamois, Mannered Gold or Ivoire? Those are the other popular colors on that SW strip. DrJay, I used SW restrained gold in my GR, hallways and stairwells and the SW Chamois in my DR.

RESTRAINED GOLD:

CHAMOIS:

• drjay71
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We are split b/w SW blonde, harvester, and restrained gold. I personally don't think we can go wrong with any of them. Would love to see more pics! They are VERY helpful

• bonniee818
    15 years ago

I have Ivorie, Restrained Gold, Blonde & Mannered gold . Hopefully these pics will show up........Bonnie Restrained gold in the DR: Foyer shot & FR are Ivorie & Bedroom pic is Mannered gold

• parma42
    15 years ago

Sorry, I was in Italy when you first posted.

Old kitchen pic in Blonde. It's a bit darker IRL. DR and LR in Ivoire.

If you don't want something as subtle in a gold, SW Biltmore Buff is a pretty pure gold and SW White Raisin is very nice, too.

• nccmama
    15 years ago

SW Empire gold is very nice. I have it in my whole downstairs and get lots of compliments. It's a bit deeper than many, but not too dark.

• drjay71
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks white raisin looks very close to harvester

• drjay71
    Original Author
    15 years ago

wanted to run something else by the forum. this is the travertine color and pattern we are getting. should we go with a more neutral color like blonde so it doesn't compete with the color of the floor? or, would a warm color like harvester look ok?

thanks

• drjay71
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Also,

Can anyone recommend a nice brown SW pain to paint the ceiling of our living room which has lots of large stained wood beams. We would like for the color to be a little lighter than the ebony stained beams.

Thanks

• drjay71
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump

• drjay71
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump