Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keh_77

Please help me choose a paint color for my kitchen

keh_77
14 years ago

Hi! I am a new member that needs some help with my kitchen. After seeing your beautiful kitchens I hate to post pictures of mine but here goes...We moved into this house a few months ago and the kitchen needs a lot of help but a full remodel isn't in the budget right now. I've been avoiding doing anything because I wasn't sure where to even start. I think I'm ready to at least pick out a paint color. The white appliances will be replaced eventually with stainless. I'm not crazy about the color of the cabinets, but changing that probably isn't going to happen in the near future. We have used SW Kilim Beige in the adjacent family room (kind of wish I'd gone one shade darker) and a sage green in the ajacent dining room. I like the whole SW Kilim Beige paint strip (we used Latte in our bedrooms downstairs), but I'm concerned it won't look right with the color of our cabinets. My other issue is that whatever we choose will go all the way up the stairs and down a long hallway. There is no good transition point so I think I need to stay somewhat neutral. I used SW Believable Buff in our old kitchen and liked it but DH hated it. He would prefer to stay away from anything with gold or yellow tones. Given all that is there a paint color you can recommend? Should I use the same color above and below the chair rail? Any help would be much appreciated! Decorating does not come naturally to me, but I am working on it.

Comments (6)

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

How about a pale French Blue? IMO, it would look great w/your cabs.

• mylittleprojects
    14 years ago

This might sound like a lot of work right now, but have you considered painting the cabinets white? I love the chair rail and the wainscoting in the dining room, but your cabinets do not really match that style right now. Your Kitchen would look fabulous with white cabinets and a white subway tile back splash.

No matter what you do, I would suggest changing the hardware to a stainless steel.

In the mean time have you considered a brown/putty color for the walls? I think that I too would go more neutral. Stay away from yellows since your cabinets have a lot of yellow in the wood.

For example a brown like this picture. I think it would really play up your current kitchen cabinets. I would stick with the same color below and above the chair rail.

Brown- Benjamin Moore Branchport Brown, Benjamin Moore Woodacres, Benjamin Moore Stampede, Sherwin-Williams Cobble Brown, Sherwin-Williams Van Dyke Brown (shown below), Behr Traditional.
    {{!gwi}}

• mylittleprojects
    14 years ago

OK....Here is what I was totally thinking!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: brown info

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

I like the brown that is in the picture MLP posted above. Also, you might check the dishwasher as some of them have reversible colored panels. A dark taupe or mushroom color would look nice moving up the wall and into your hallway too.

• keh_77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for the responses. I love the brown kitchen posted above! I have been searching all over for inspiration pictures that had cabinets similar to ours and kept coming up with nothing. I would like to try painting them white, but DH is firmly in the "never paint wood" camp. He's a little concerned about such a dark color on the staircase so we are looking at samples like SW Hopsack as a lighter alternative to Van Dyke but is still dark enough to have some contrast with the cabs.

I think I will try to change the hardware to stainless steel. I wish the previous owners had done knobs instead of pulls on the cabinets.

I'm wondering if beadboard would look good under the chair rail and brighten it up a bit. Or would white beadboard look odd with wood cabinets?

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

I think your cabinets look very nice. They look like they might be maple. What color do you currently have below the chair rail in the kitchen? Wondering because it looks nice from what I can see of it. Maybe go one shade darker than that? Remember a dark color going up the stairs will help hide the fingerprints, so I don't think it is a bad idea.
    IF you were considering a backsplash, I would do that first, then paint last.