Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto_gw

Extra dresser -- creative ideas?

I have an extra dresser floating around, maybe we'll move it out to the garage. I might be able to put it into our master bedroom closet, which would be convenient. It's nothing fancy, a child's pine dresser with three drawers.

Dimensions 20" deep, 30" long, 29" high.

Very curious if other creative uses are out there!

Comments (11)

• Jules
    10 years ago

Bathroom vanity, TV console, gardening table, craft organizer.

Try searching "repurposed dresser" on pinterest and google.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I put one in the laundry room (which is big enough for a small work bench). The top two shelves are work bench related; the next one is wool socks (our family does a lot of outdoor stuff, and we all use the same size socks, so it's convenient to have them in one place); next one is too-small clothes (when it gets full I take it to Goodwill); the bottom drawer is rags.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Linen storage in a bathroom or hall?

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

My vintage bedroom piece has been painted more colors than I can remember, although I know at one point it was next to my brothers crib and had circus animals peeking around corners and out of drawers - quite well done really, my mother.

My brother is 57 years old ;)

Kept in the foyer in my first tiny apartment, and held whatever it had to from gloves, extra tee shirts, to placemats, dishtowels. I think it was glazed red that year, something from a kit.

It was in a guest room in our former house and house short on storage, it had an accumulation of craft and decorating, flower arranging items in the top two drawers, maps, binoculars, gloves, winter hats, an elk call (!)...things my husband kept below.

It now has a cream antique finish and is in my office. Note pads, extra printer ink, folders, bulk envelopes, paperwork. Misc business things that I don't have in the file cabinets or shallow desk drawers. Bottom drawer has gardening magazines, seed envelopes, plant tags and my garden p-touch labeler.

Could I get something more efficient and replace it? Yes, but it's been in whichever home I've lived in for about 60 years and is staying.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I saw one smaller dresser where they removed the drawers, but left the drawer fronts on and put a big hole in the side and made the top a lift top with hinges...used it to put the kitty box.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I purchased a Cherry French style dresser years ago,painted/stenciled, and use it in the DR. While it doesn't hold dishes, it does hold place mats/tablecloths, candles, table runners, and other things I might use in the DR. With nine drawers, I can stash a lot of stuff!

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh wow, so many great ideas! I didn't even think to look at Pinterest, I came straight here :-) Lots of interesting ideas on Pinterest, makes me want to start stalking CL for something that is tall but with a shallow depth. I saw an armoire that was painted w/chalkboard paint and they wrote on the doors....LOVE THAT. Too bad we don't have any space for an armoir.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

I have a vintage oak chest in the laundry room - it used to be in the lower level hallway, and in the last house was originally purchased for the breakfast room for several years before being moved to the upstairs landing. Wow, it's been around!

When in the breakfast room, it had a small tv on top and the drawers held gift wrapping supplies - same for landing and hallway. Now it holds extra camera supplies, a set of house plans, extra dish towels and other items.

DH and I both have a built-in chest in the MBR walk-in closet. DD2 has an extra chest in the guest bedroom turned playroom closet, where it's holding extra sheets, HOA paperwork and gift wrapping supplies.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

You could remove all the drawers , tack in some shelves and use it for shoe storage.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I have a dresser that size that was from my childhood. I removed the mirror, sanded that area and restained it, placed a piece of marble on it and I use it for a large bedside nightstand which holds more books, lamps, glasses, etc., than your average nightstand and I can still store "stuff" in the drawers. Actually, I have some "tupperware" like see-through containers in the drawers with my scarves folded in a couple and jewelry in others, makes them easy to see and not far from my "real dresser" where the mirror is that I use for tying scarves, donning jewelry, etc.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love all the ideas, so practical :-) This is the kind of stuff they should teach in high school, maybe as an elective! "Re-purposing 101"