Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Curved shower rods? What is your experience with these?

Stacey Collins
13 years ago

I'm shopping for one of those curved shower rods for my daughters bathroom. Does anyone have one? I read one manufacturer's claim that their oval-section rod doesn not "rotate and sag" like round-section rods do. IS that a real issue with the round ones or did they make them up?The one I like best at the moment is by Franklin Brass...

Thanks!

Comments (22)

• kjmama
    13 years ago

We got ours at Lowe's. It is a Moen I think. We have had it for several months. I love it. It does make showering with a curtain just a bit nicer:) I have not had any problems with sagging, so not sure about that... it feels sturdy to me.

• Carol_from_ny
    13 years ago

I bought one for the bathroom I just did over. Everyone who uses it loves it. You do NEED to read the instructions before installing it. It's a little bit different installation than your standard shower rod.

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

I've only used them in hotels, but all have been round and none were sagging. Me things they're just trying to sell you on their shower curtain being better because it's different looking. But that's most likely the only difference. The shape of the rod shouldn't make any difference that I can think of.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, guys!
    I appreciate the feedback. I'll post pics of the finished bath when it's done. DH was installing the drawers in the antique-dresser-turned-vanity today, and I was painting trim. I'm hoping after next weekend it will be finished...

• traditionalgirl1
    13 years ago

We've had one for about six months now, and it's the single best thing I've ever done to the bathroom. We got ours at BB&B and it's the one that has two rods - one for the liner and one for the curtain. It's as sturdy as can be, no bowing or sagging, and our shower curtain weighs a TON because I didn't realize that the material I picked out was so heavy.

The thing I was worried about was water leakage, but no problem. You will love the extra room! I can't believe I went all those years with the liner blowing in on me and having about 2 square inches of space. What a difference!

• allison0704
    13 years ago

I don't have one, but the guest room I stay in at Demifloyd's home has one. I love it. Gives you a bit more space and doesn't make the shower seem cramped. Not sure where she purchased. Maybe I'll flag her down for you.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

We purchased two Crescent Rods (one for the hall bath, one for the MB) @ BB&B. We love them. They don't sell the Crescent Rod @ BB&B anymore (at least in-store), I think they have the Moen two-part curved rod now. DH and I like having a one-piece rod (with separate brackets); we figure the roller rings (ours are from C&B) slide more smoothly on a "solid" rod, without catching on the ridge where the halves overlap.

We had to place our rod brackets a bit further in than we might have preferred, but the bathrooms are very small, and the space between the toilet and tub while at code, is very tight (in the MB). Even so, it feels roomy and spacious while showering in our tubs.

I'm sure you could still find the Crescent Rod elsewhere if you want it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crescent Rod

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

Do they work for stall showers? Our stall shower is big enough, but the shower head is centered on the wall, not on the stall, so you have to stand about 3" over to be directly under the spray, and I thought maybe one of the curved rods would work better.

• vickij
    13 years ago

I agree with cat mom. I have had experience with both a one piece and a two part rod. The rings get hung up on the two part rod. A one piece rod is much preferred.

• denali2007
    13 years ago

Love the rod and it feels so much bigger. Like everyone else said get the one piece rod. My shower rings get hung up.

• demifloyd
    13 years ago

I have a heavy duty one piece curved shower rod in my guest room that Allison mentioned (and she is a wonderful friend and house guest!) but I cannot recall where I purchased it.

My recollection is that I ordered it online because I wanted a very sturdy one, shiny, that matched the faucets.
    I have showered in this bath it does feel more roomy.

Found an old photo:

• theresa2
    13 years ago

I remodeled my mother's bathroom. Previously, she had a straight rod installed inward on an angle to accommodate a window that was partially above the footprint of the bathtub. Needless to say it was quite crowded in that shower and it looked ridiculous. I installed a curved shower rod from Lowes which solved the problem, very nicely made and sturdy IMO. She absolutely loved it and thought I was a genius :).

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all-

cat_mom, I'm actually only looking at the one-piece type. Franklin Brass makes one (linked below) that I am leaning towards. I much prefer a one-piece rod to an adjustable one...

Stacey

Here is a link that might be useful: one-piece curved shower rod

• nhb22
    13 years ago

We have two and love them! Much more elbow room for guest.

TIP: When hanging, hang them higher and out a little more than the instructions say. Gives you just a little more room. You can also hang them near the ceiling and add a large curtain hem to your existing curtain, to cover the side of the tub and reach the floor. I love that look especially in tall rooms, but they can also help make your lowered ceiling bathrooms appear taller. Wish I had done that with my bathrooms. The taller curtain would hide the shower head from view.

• rafor
    13 years ago

demifloyd: love love love your wallpaper!!! Any info on it? Thanks!

• bbstx
    13 years ago

I have the two piece rod in the master bathroom and the curtain hooks do get hung up on the joint. It is a mild annoyance. I love having the extra room in the shower!

What I would really like for our teeny tiny guestbath room is the rotating shower curtain rod that was featured on Apartment Therapy (see below). Looks like a great idea when the toilet/bathtub area is as small as ours.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rotator Rod by Colleen O'Connell

• barb5
    13 years ago

We put a one piece curved rod in the kid's BR and all the feedback is positive. We bought it at BBB.

In addition we hung a shower curtain that I saw in a hotel that we stayed at. Bought it at BBB too.The top 10" or so of the curtain is a mesh material that lets in light and lets whoever is in the shower to see out. It really helps relieve that closed in feeling in the shower. At the junction of the mesh material and the shower curtain and liner are a row of snaps, so that the nylon liner can be taken off and washed. All feedback has been positive on the curtain as well.

• rayb1
    11 years ago

Should one screw (or no screws) these into the tiles and how does this affect the curtain length? Thanks

• Questioner72
    11 years ago

Has anyone found one for a 42" shower? They all seem to be for wider showers, and my shower is only 42".

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Duh, and I thought such a rod was only used with a clawfoot tub! What a great idea for giving a roomier feeling in a guest shower or ANY shower. I'll definitely be changing out the one guest bath that doesn't have the glass doors. Thanks everyone!

• arbpdl
    11 years ago

Hated mine; ripped it out a month ago.

A. The bathroom is very small and while the curved rod made the shower a couple inches bigger, it took that space away from the floor in front of the vanity, where it was needed more.

B. It was "stainless" but rusted very, very quickly, causing rust stains on my white shower curtain and my hooks to "snag" on the rust.

Just my personal experience ... I think if you have a nice large room, it'd be fine. I suspect mine was a cheaper one as it was put in the townhouse before I moved in.